Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Finca» Forums » General

Subject: The ultimate mystery rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Does any one, even the designers themselves, have any idea how the four compartments and bags of the Finca insert (or five bags, if one includes the larger one that the wooden pieces come packaged in) have any correlation to the 15 or so different components that the game includes in widely-ranging quantities? Or why the insert does not have compartments for each of the six varieties of fruit? It could even have easily been designed for each compartment to have the matching painting of the fruit they're for at the bottom.

Obviously, I can try working with what I've got by adding more card (preferably in matching dark blue, if I can find some in that colour) and making additional cuts into what is there but it's annoying that an expensive game that would obviously benefit much from a sorting tray and has plenty of space for one in it's large-ish box has a custom-printed insert but one that bears no relation that I can discern to the components it is to hold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Olson
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Rigolade wrote:
Does any one, even the designers themselves, have any idea how the four compartments and bags of the Finca insert (or five bags, if one includes the larger one that the wooden pieces come packaged in) have any correlation to the 15 or so different components that the game includes in widely-ranging quantities? Or why the insert does not have compartments for each of the six varieties of fruit? It could even have easily been designed for each compartment to have the matching painting of the fruit they're for at the bottom.

Put each set of player pieces in a small bag. Put two fruits in each of three compartments (do not put almonds and olives together). Put the tiles in the fourth section. Put the carts and bonus tiles in the large bag. Put the vanes and fincas in any compartment. The vanes tend to rip the bag.

If you feel you have to bag each item separately, Ziplocs are cheap, and four compartments is fine for holding 15 bags. Three or five compartments would be difficult to produce.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carlj wrote:
If you feel you have to bag each item separately, Ziplocs are cheap, and four compartments is fine for holding 15 bags.
Even cheaper is to make my own out of envelopes and scrap paper and tape, which is what I've been doing. I'd still like to have a proper sorting tray to keep each of the fruits separate but I suspect that would require creating my own insert from scratch if it's to also have space for everything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer your question, I suspect the inserts in most games have to do with production costs - the fewer pieces, the cheaper to produce. This also lends to being more standardized across games.

To further the suggestions: for many games, I use zip lock bags, which can be found in varying sizes at most craft stores (Michael's in the USA, for example). A bag of 100 2"x3" bags costs only about $3 US.

You can also look for compartment trays at the same craft stores or at department stores - many sizes and # of compartments are available, generally for less than $5 US.

Good luck and Game On!
- Corey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert
Netherlands
Voorburg
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rigolade wrote:
Does any one, even the designers themselves, have any idea how the four compartments and bags of the Finca insert (or five bags, if one includes the larger one that the wooden pieces come packaged in) have any correlation to the 15 or so different components that the game includes in widely-ranging quantities?

I use the larger bag for the fruits.
1 bag for 2 player colors (including action tiles) and all the start pieces for a 2-player game (4 donkeys, bonus tiles, finca pieces)
1 bag for the other 2 player colors (including action tiles) and the other pieces needed for a 3- or 4-player game (rest of donkeys and finca pieces)
1 bag for fruit tiles and finca tiles (it's a full bag)
1 bag for the wind mills and the replacement pieces

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.