BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Why eurogamers might fear Spacehulk rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Board games addict
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Apparently Board game geek has long been dominated at the top of the ratings lists by eurogames. And that made this group pleased. Very pleased.

So when an Ameristyle game, an undeserving upstart according to some, starts to make waves and threatens the top 10, well it ruffles feathers.

Imagine this, it reminds me of a person who enjoys foreign art house films and turns their noses up at the latest explosive laden hollywood blockbuster. Then at a suitably highbrow meeting of like minded folks, a member of this snooty club rises up and says, I really enjoyed so and so movie (insert hollywood mindless blockbuster movie) and found it far more entertaining than the latest art house movie. I'm sure gasps of disbelief would be heard and an uproar would commence.

Ok, so this is what this whole controversy might boil down to, apparently these two groups have had a cold war going on at the Board Game Geek and Space Hulk is the catalyst for the hostilities to be revealed in all their fury.

And if Space Hulk succeeds, then the fear is more of these types of games might threaten the ratings of the top mostly euro gamer games.

Just some random thoughts. I take no stand either way, although I'm guessing Space Hulk wouldn't appeal to me personally, but you never know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Or some people like euros, AT and wargames and are just having fun watching the controversy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
What Jonny said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
quinnox wrote:

And if Space Hulk succeeds, then the fear is more of these types of games might threaten the ratings of the top mostly euro gamer games.

A lot of AT games have made their way up the ranks in the lifespan of the BGG Ratings. Most of them have faded into obscurity, but they did serve some time on the top rating spots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Boivin
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like AT, Euros and Wargames.

And I really enjoy seeing the immaculate euro-laden top 10 now spoiled with the blood of dead Terminators. Brothers, you have died with honor. There might not be any efficiency engines or card combos in Space Hulk, but it's sure worth its place among the best thing hobby gaming has to offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only people who care are those with an inflated sense of in-group mentality. Us versus them, for no reason other than a sense of belonging and having a common "enemy". BGG has gamers of all types, with a massive amount of overlap. We all love games, and I think that's more important than our differences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hurp
United Kingdom
Aldershot
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just get the feeling that, there are very few pure Ameritrash gamers, or pure Eurogamers .. but there are a lot more people who seem to feel threatened by imaginary pure Ameritrash gamers or imaginary pure Eurogamers.

Did that make sense? I tried.

I like Space Hulk. My girlfriend compared it to a more enjoyable version of Conflict of Heroes as she found it simpler and 'less dry'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
An Adult
msg tools
Euro games - oK
Ameritrash games - ok
Wargames - ok
trash talk that Space Hulk is bringing to the forums - bad

If you are 13, or still act like you are

TRY THINKING BEFORE YOU POST

if you don't want to think, go back to the WoW forums
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kira, your reasoning is completely flawed. Since this same nonsense happened with Argicola, La Havre, Caylus, etc etc. There is no Cold War. There aren't really even sides. There are a few rabble-rousers that just was to cause a fuss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
30 % of the top 20 are not Euros. And no one has freaked out thus far.

Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage
Paths of Glory
War of the Ring
Commands & Colors: Ancients
Space Hulk (3rd Edition)
Twilight Struggle

No matter what type of game we play, we're all gamers and can all get along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:

Exactly.

(Except for those damn idiot party gamers. I hate those guys.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fabs wrote:
I just get the feeling that, there are very few pure Ameritrash gamers, or pure Eurogamers .. but there are a lot more people who seem to feel threatened by imaginary pure Ameritrash gamers or imaginary pure Eurogamers.

Did that make sense? I tried.

I like Space Hulk. My girlfriend compared it to a more enjoyable version of Conflict of Heroes as she found it simpler and 'less dry'.

Well said. I couldn't get my sons to play Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42[1], but they're loving Space Hulk.

[1] Conflict of Heroes is still a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

That and those Boggle players, all smug with their ability to make words..Boo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Miller
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think people are just upset because they don't have the chance to play it because it was either too expensive or too limited for them to get a copy. I don't own it (too expensive is my reason), so watching it climb the charts is a little odd because I don't think I'll find myself in a postition TO play it. It's kinda like being on the outside looking in on this one.

Still, it's fun to see the fuss it's caused. Is it really that good? It looks purty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ggg ggg
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
russ wrote:
chansen2794 wrote:

Exactly.

Oi! Watch it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
russ wrote:

That and those Boggle players, all smug with their ability to make words..Boo.

Clearly this is evidence of just how Anti-Boggle this web site is!
I for one am sick of seeing the Bogglites shunned by the BGG masses.

-M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
quinnox wrote:
...reminds me of a person who enjoys foreign art house films and turns their noses up at the latest explosive laden hollywood blockbuster. Then at a suitably highbrow meeting of like minded folks, a member of this snooty club rises up and says, I really enjoyed so and so movie (insert hollywood mindless blockbuster movie) and found it far more entertaining than the latest art house movie. I'm sure gasps of disbelief would be heard and an uproar would commence.

What??!? Dude, your prejudices are showing! Read through the various SH discussion threads and you'll quickly see that the majority of complaints about Space Hulk aren't about snooty Euro fans objecting to an Ameritrash upstart -- it's mostly about gamers who feel that Space Hulk is an over produced, too expensive, simplistic and repetitive pile of junk. And if you read between the lines, most of those complaints are primarily motivated by dissatisfaction with GW's marketing techniques and have little to do with Space Hulk's specific qualities as a game.

And it isn't just Eurogamers who aren't happy with Space Hulk. I'm primarily a wargamer, and I don't particularly like it (it's not bad, but it doesn't even come close to "top 10" material in my opinion), and I'm certainly not unique.

You're reading WAY too much into this if you think its just a simple "Euro-vs-Ameritrash" dispute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The Eurogamers are afraid of Space Hulk because it uses miniatures instead of wood blocks, has dice, and there's direct conflict between the players.

At least that seems to be what divides people in the group I game with. They see miniatures/dice and start to sweat and shake. Mention that you have to attack the other players to have a chance at winning and some of them will faint!

Only part of the above is opinion, and there's a lot of sarcasm there too. I haven't played Space Hulk but would give it a try before saying yes/no to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember back when the Ameri-trash vs. Euro War was more of a joke than a serious argument. Those were the days, how ever brief they were.

Like politics, I have a feeling you'll find more middle of the road, I just want something good gamers than you'll find partisan "I ONLY play games from a certain country" gamers.

And like all new additions to the often hype driven ratings system, it will either burn out like a passing comet, brief and pretty, or take up orbit. My guess is that it'll slip back into the top 100-200 (not too bad by any stretch of the imagination) once some more people get a chance at their friend's copies.

But what do I know....

Now if we could just get a normal game company to reprint (or retheme and reprint) Aliens. I've heard good things....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, ratings are unimportant. Comparison of ratings to like-minded people is the obvious answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of us like both AT and Euro games.
I love it when a great theme and great game mechanics come together in a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeDowd wrote:
Life is the most trashy ameritrash game ever and you can't put it back in the box. Can't blame them for being afraid.
Who are these people that are afraid of games? I've never come across a form of entertainment that people are afraid of, well except horror, I guess. Nor have I ever met someone who would turn down a good game because it had miniatures rather than cubes. They might turn it down because they didn't like that type of game, but who doesn't do that?

I don't like abstracts very much, but I wouldn't say it's because I'm afraid of the abstractness or that I won't try them now and again.

Calling someone afraid because they don't enjoy one form of entertainment reminds me of the mental midgets that were so prevalent in high school. It'd be as ridiculous as saying Ameritrash fans are afraid of the feats of mental prowess required to play a heavy Euro. Ridiculous I tell you!

Aargh! You drew me into this ridiculous argument. You win this time....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kdiddy13 wrote:
Nor have I ever met someone who would turn down a good game because it had miniatures rather than cubes.

Not for the minis per se, but if they make it significantly difficult to play the game (eg War of the Ring), then yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
kdiddy13 wrote:
Nor have I ever met someone who would turn down a good game because it had miniatures rather than cubes.

Not for the minis per se, but if they make it significantly difficult to play the game (eg War of the Ring), then yes.

True. But again, that's avoiding gameplay (or a flaw in the component design) that one might not enjoy, not fear of sculpted monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeDowd wrote:

My theory on eurosnoots is that they use euros as a form of escapism to an ideal german world where things are predictable, balanced and peaceful where conservative and simplified rules govern society and everyone is the same.

And my theory is that you enjoy insulting vast swaths of people for no real reason.

I'd say I at least have some support for my theory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.