Ryan Nussbaum
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I need to replace a 3rd edition Catan, I have 3rd ed Cities and Knights....can I buy 4th edition?

I had to return a 3rd edition copy of Catan to it's original owner(hadn't seen him for years) and I had bought a 3rd ed Cities and Knights awhile back.

Do I need to find another 3rd ed Catan or will 3rd ed Cities and Knights work ok with 4th ed.

I looked at the box for 4th and since they changed the water layout I did not know how the barbarians tile would work with it.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
The difficulty will be the commodities. Easy to spot in your hand since they will have a different back.

As for the barbarian tile: It is a separate piece from the rest of the board in 4th edition anyway. Just don't attach the barbarians tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Bowlin
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could trade for a 3rd edition copy through BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you perhaps buy a 4th edition copy to give to your friend and keep the old 3rd edition version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Marysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Though here at journey's end I lie in darkness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high, beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun, and Stars forever dwell: I will not say the Day is done, nor bid the Stars farewell.
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I'm pretty sure the card backs of 3rd/4th edition resources/commodities are identical. That shouldn't be a problem. The artwork may not necessarily match on the front. For example, it will be slightly less obvious that coin corresponds to ore. But that's no big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh, yes you are right! I was thinking of the change between the development cards between 3rd and 4th edition. Since you don't use the original development cards in C&K there won't be a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.