Subject: I made french fries! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
And they were delicious!

I tried Cook's Illustrated's recipe for cold-start fries. You cut yukon gold potatoes into 1/4" batons and then put them in a pot with room temp oil and then turn the heat on high and boil them for 15 minutes and then give them a stir until they are brown and crispy. They worked out really well. I bought a quart of peanut oil and then threw in 2 cups of leftover duck fat that I got for free from work. The duck fat was left over from making confit and it smelled of garlic and rosemary, but those flavors were not present in the fries themselves.

Nazhuret grilled us some burgers too, so we had a lovely evening of burgers and fries and cheap inexpensive red wine.

I've also been beer-battering fish for fish tacos lately, so I think I can now make good fish and chips at home. Yay! Cheaper that buying them at a restaurant! Woo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Duck fat makes everything better. It's like bacon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
zorazen wrote:
1/4" batons

I've never heard 'baton' used in this fashion. Is that a new word usage to jazz-up an old concept for which there exist perfectly good words or is 'baton' significantly different than say 'julienne'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chony McChuukface
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:
zorazen wrote:
1/4" batons

I've never heard 'baton' used in this fashion. Is that a new word usage to jazz-up an old concept for which there exist perfectly good words or is 'baton' significantly different than say 'julienne'?

I am not a chef because I thought the word strips would be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Duck fat makes everything better. It's like bacon.

Sorry bacon, I love ya, but you've got nothing on duck fat. Duck fat fries are the side of the gods.

Regarding batons vs. julienne, batons (even smaller batons like these 1/4" ones) are larger than a julienne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to ask - what's the point in starting them in room temp oil, and bringing the heat up as opposed to dropping them in hot oil? Does it make them cook better somehow?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:
I have to ask - what's the point in starting them in room temp oil, and bringing the heat up as opposed to dropping them in hot oil? Does it make them cook better somehow?

I would suspect the center of the fry would be cooked more thoroughly without burning the outside (or causing it to be overly dark) since they've been exposed to the oil for a longer period of time at a lower temperature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:

Traditionally fries are blanched in oil (cooked at relatively low temperature) first and then cooked again at higher temperature. Sometimes they're also rinsed and pre-soaked in cold water, too. This is a lot of work, but makes the fries crispy on the outside, airy on the inside, and altogether delicious.

Alternately, one go of high temperature frying tends to make fries soggy.

I don't know exactly why this method works, honestly, but I imagine starting in cool oil gives the inside of the fry more time to cook as it comes to temp, while ending at a high temperature still makes the outside of the fries crisp.

Thanks for suggesting the technique, zora, I'll definitely have to try it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eggie fried up some sweet potatoes along with some purple potatoes. The finished product looked like slices of chedder with beets. (They were awesome, by the way.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best fries around here (Lisa's Pizza) are cooked in 2 stages. "Blanch" them in oil at a lower temp. This cooks the potato all the way through. The fries are then left in baskets until ordered. Then they are cooked again at a high temp until crispy on the outside. I suspect this "room temp to high" process achieves the same thing in a single step.

Edit: Someone beat me to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:

Edit: Someone beat me to it.

Someone beat me to that post, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
The best fries around here in my opinion are my mother's "blushed fries". Cut the potato in small cubes cook it until they are soft, but not mushy. Spring some wheat flour over it and fry in hot sunflower oil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bear Gordon
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to make Tika's Spiced Potatoes from some Dragonlance book back in the DnD days. My mother loves to bring up the story every chance she gets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
beerbear wrote:
I used to make Tika's Spiced Potatoes from some Dragonlance book back in the DnD days. My mother loves to bring up the story every chance she gets.

recipe please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yohanleafheart wrote:
The best fries around here in my opinion are my mother's "blushed fries". Cut the potato in small cubes cook it until they are soft, but not mushy. Spring some wheat flour over it and fry in hot sunflower oil.

Sounds yummy. Cook = boil? Is wheat flour different from regular flour?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bear Gordon
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yohanleafheart wrote:
beerbear wrote:

recipe please!

You would ask. I don't remember exactly. I do remember that they were very hit or miss and missed most of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
le_cygne wrote:
jeffreyac wrote:

Traditionally fries are blanched in oil (cooked at relatively low temperature) first and then cooked again at higher temperature. Sometimes they're also rinsed and pre-soaked in cold water, too. This is a lot of work, but makes the fries crispy on the outside, airy on the inside, and altogether delicious.

Alternately, one go of high temperature frying tends to make fries soggy.

I don't know exactly why this method works, honestly, but I imagine starting in cool oil gives the inside of the fry more time to cook as it comes to temp, while ending at a high temperature still makes the outside of the fries crisp.

Thanks for suggesting the technique, zora, I'll definitely have to try it!

No problem. The Cook's recipe stated that you must use Yukon Golds for the recipe to work properly. They said that russets toughen up too much.
As for the point of starting them cold? It's fast and easy and hands-off. You don't even need a thermometer for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
matthew.marquand wrote:
zorazen wrote:
1/4" batons

Baton is a fancy word for stick. It's thicker than a matchstick or julienne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.