Subject: "Recommended with" query. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vaughn Sandor
United States
Monroe Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The BBC series is far better than the excellent NBC one. Now go watch it.
badge
This is not me but I have been known to dance like David Brent on occasion.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is the "best/recommended with 4" ranking better than the "best/recommended with 5"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
This game plays a lot better with 4 than 5.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughn Sandor
United States
Monroe Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The BBC series is far better than the excellent NBC one. Now go watch it.
badge
This is not me but I have been known to dance like David Brent on occasion.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it an even numbers thing or just that the game moves faster?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's just that with 5, the board is very cramped for some players and not so cramped for others, and the built-in way of compensating is to provide some players with TGs. I've only played with 5 once, and it wasn't TOO bad, but 4 makes the players a bit more evenly spaced.

IE, with 3, 4, and 6 players, you can evenly space the players on a hexagon-shaped map; with 5 players, it can't be done. Some players have to be closer together and have less adjacent systems, and others will have more open space.

The same problem arises with 7 players vs 6 or 8. But with 7, you use an extra ring, so the non-uniformity isn't quite as noticible as with 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should note, though, that there is a common "custom" map (and an official pre-set map that sort of mimics it) where for 5 players, a "slice" is taken out of the board, and the edges of the slice connect, almost like the map was on a cone. That way, the players are pretty much spaced like a 6-player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Norton
United States
Seymour
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
I should note, though, that there is a common "custom" map (and an official pre-set map that sort of mimics it) where for 5 players, a "slice" is taken out of the board, and the edges of the slice connect, almost like the map was on a cone. That way, the players are pretty much spaced like a 6-player game.

I hate that map.

Bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I for one would play 5 over 4 any day. Simply because more players lead to more stuff going on, more races, more diplomacy, and more backstabbing (not me me of course).

Four is still entertaining (it's a great game). Some people complain that in a 4 player game all strategy cards get picked. I'm not sure why people don't like it, bt some don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I like five much better than four, the asymmetric maps notwithstanding. I don't like each player taking two strategy cards each turn (which is done with four) as I've found that it bogs the game down. Plus, I really really like bonus tokens!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see why folks avoid this with five players (mostly the map), and with six or more the game just takes too long to play.

Has anyone toyed with the idea of only picking one strategy card each when playing with four? I'm not crazy about the two per player thing either..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could do that, but you'd end up with a TON of Bonus Counters that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Finkle
msg tools
Four is better than five for a few reasons:

1) With four players, all eight strategy cards are in play every round. This provides a more enriching game because it creates more strategic decisions between which secondary abilities you want to activate each round. Especially since, depending on your ruleset, you're not going to be activating about half of the cards anyways (given Imperial II, you don't pay a strategy for Initiative, Logistics, Warfare generally due to suckage, and Imperial II for most of the early game because players use the b) option to shut out use of its secondary ability). This means in a 5 or 6 player game (5 especially), there generally is not much choice about which strategy cards to activate. Having all of the cards in play every round makes players thing more, and gives more options. Additionally it allows cards that are seldom-used in the early game like Diplomacy a chance to shine. It also eliminates Bonus counters from the game.

2) Spacing, as mentioned previously.

3) Time. More players equals more time taken. 6 is good because the game is designed with 6 in mind and it pits people against each other sooner, making the game more exciting, but with five, especially the "far" players, there can be much less interaction and it takes longer without anything crazy happening.

4) Even numbers of players lend themselves better to alliances. In 5, if you try alliances, you end up with either 2v3 or 2v2v1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyn Fox
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
This user will support the website in the future.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I prefer 5 player over 4 player. But I dislike the inherent imbalance in the placement of home worlds in the galaxy.

To address the this, I created a warp zone tile for playing with 5 or 7 players. The idea originated from the five player custom map (the one with a "slice" removed from the galaxy.) I wanted to be able to do that with more freedom in the placement of tiles. Also, the warp zone tile allows for building-the-galaxy and random galaxy setups, and it leaves the wormholes free to be placed elsewhere.

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/556323
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/556351

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.