Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very much enjoying my PnP Bindle Rales (thanks Jack!), but it does have a steep learning curve, particularly for someone like me who doesn't get many kicks out of the 18xx games. The rules booklet, printed out on A4 sheets, is particularly cumbersome.

I have zero graphic-design talent and even less free time: would anyone (up to and including the publisher) be interested in producing a player aid or reference sheet? Ideally this would include - but not necessarily be limited to - the stages of a turn; the reference map; and the required technologies for various actions.

What I have in mind would be something fairly smart that I could laminate like the other game boards, and it could then form part of the initial layout. This would also help me teach the 2-player variant to all the interested people in the pub who stand around watching me re-distribute coloured cubes and scratching my head.

Anyone willing to help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
I'm very much enjoying my PnP Bindle Rales (thanks Jack!), but it does have a steep learning curve, particularly for someone like me who doesn't get many kicks out of the 18xx games. The rules booklet, printed out on A4 sheets, is particularly cumbersome.

I have zero graphic-design talent and even less free time: would anyone (up to and including the publisher) be interested in producing a player aid or reference sheet? Ideally this would include - but not necessarily be limited to - the stages of a turn; the reference map; and the required technologies for various actions.

What I have in mind would be something fairly smart that I could laminate like the other game boards, and it could then form part of the initial layout. This would also help me teach the 2-player variant to all the interested people in the pub who stand around watching me re-distribute coloured cubes and scratching my head.

Anyone willing to help?

I am. :-)

It has crossed my mind to do a player aid. I have a tentative one for the next expansion, but I haven't gone near the base game. I can put one together, but my art skills are nonexistent.

Dumb question, but how well does the two-player variant work for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know yet, because it's too complex to teach to anyone!

The expansions are on a 'to-print' list for me, but my gut reaction to them is that they really only need a tweak of the basic rules. Therefore a player aid for the base game would be much more useful. I would certainly consider the various maps to be must-haves - I need to be able to visualise what's going on and flicking back and forth to the reference map is a pain.

I'm sticking with it, though, Jack. It's by far the best solitaire game out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Well, the expansions do tend to twist the base game a lot. #1:IMR expansion introduces the map building portion of the game. #2:L&N is closest to the original but does some tweaks on portions of the systaem. The third series plays a lot like Silverton and uses similar market mechanisms. The Western USA module I'm working on now also uses essentially the same rule set. Finally, an interurban map (thinking Cleveland/Akron as it had an interesting history for that) will probably feature dropped cubes at the beginning of the game that are build towards cities or places. From there, those routes can be bought with cash instead of built over.

And I've still got some Steam maps in mind and I'm still pushing another train game design to a publisher if possible. Not to mention the lighter election game I'm working on.

Not enough hours in the day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
The rules booklet, printed out on A4 sheets, is particularly cumbersome.

Are pretty much all game rules printed to that size? One option is to use Adobe's booklet printing mode and get 2 sheets per A4.

Quote:

Is the map really part of the player aid? I did not find a map necessary for this game. The technologies should all be on the tech tree. So that leaves the stages of a turn...

Quote:
Anyone willing to help?

I could try, but its not really clear what you need here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:

Are pretty much all game rules printed to that size? One option is to use Adobe's booklet printing mode and get 2 sheets per A4.

I work with letter sized paper in the US which translates well to A3 if I remember right. I had experimented with shrinking the format to have four pages on one page and folding it. It kinda worked, but it was very, very small.

Quote:

Is the map really part of the player aid? I did not find a map necessary for this game. The technologies should all be on the tech tree. So that leaves the stages of a turn...

I can see where a summary of the bullet points for each section in the rulebook would be helpful, perhaps with some scratchings on what you can do under each part.

And yes, the map ended up being extra flourish for the original game. The expansions require the maps they provide as it is essentially a different game at that point. But for the original, the company mats seem to work pretty well which I was somewhat surprised at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.