Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How long doe the various versions in the this new edition really take to play?

Looks pretty interesting. My kids like Nexus Ops and I think they might like this too, but I don't want something that goes on for hours. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say it takes anywhere from an hour to 3 hours, depending on the variant you play and how many people play. Probably around 75-90 minutes average. I would also suggest that you pick up Risk Halo (unless you have really young kids) as the theme is better and the pieces look cooler (IN MY OPINION of course) but it's basically the same game...

Risk: Halo Wars ALSO has the neon like pieces for armies like Nexus Ops, and the Sci Fi theme.

So I would suppose around 90 minutes is a nice safe answer...at least from what I've seen of the new rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Marysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Though here at journey's end I lie in darkness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high, beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun, and Stars forever dwell: I will not say the Day is done, nor bid the Stars farewell.
mbmbmbmbmb
We've reliably been able to finish this in 60-90 minutes. About the same length as Nexus Ops. Your kids will love it and you won't have to worry about it going too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann SoFrankly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This past weekend our game group played two 3-player games and ate dinner in 3 1/2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Engwall
msg tools
I play a 4 player Basic Training game with my 3 kids, ages 6, 8, and 10. Setup takes about 5 minutes, and gameplay takes 45-60 minutes. Only my 10 year old has any sense of strategy yet, so I assist the others in picking out a good strategy.

Because of the younger players, the competetive aspect of the game is relatively low, so the games go more quickly. In a more competetive game with more experienced players and more overt attempts to thwart achievement of objectives, I'd expect the timeframe to extend to 60-90 minutes.

The way that the initial layouts are designed, one player will generally be able to take australia in the first turn, another will take south america in one turn, and the other player(s) will have substantially more territories through the remainder of the board (through early easy conquests of token forces). Thus, everyone usually gets between 7 and 10 reinforcements by the second turn. Since objectives are counted at the end of the turn, and often it is possible to achieve two objectives in a single turn, there's a lot of motivation for mad dashes without regard to long-term consequences. If these are successful, they can result in a quick win. If not, well... it still may be a quick win... for someone else.

So, even if the game takes a bit longer, it *feels* like it's going fast.

I have not played the command room game yet, but given the need to weigh the strategic balance between continents, cities, your and enemy capitols, I'd expect the initial phase to take a bit longer than traditional Risk. Once the game gets going, though, I'd still expect the game to be a sprint for the 3 objectives, so it will probably go pretty quickly... maybe 90-120 hours?

I'm not going to speculate on the world domination game, except that with the bonus rewards, it should be a lot faster than traditional risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Keith, that is very helpful. I will be playing with my 8 and 10 year old boys and your experience is some good insight into what to expect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.