Loose Cannon
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of scanning all the you are a cylon cards together and printing out six copies, just so that anyone who becomes a cylon will not have to try and sneek a peek at what there loyalty card says.
basicly by making each player keep one face up on the table in front of them. I think this may also cause some humans to try and figure out what cylon's are at the table. distracting them from what they should be doing.

I for one, until I reveal, normaly have no clue what my cylon damaging abilities are.
Let me know what everybody's thoughts on this are?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Simon
United States
Ashley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though our group consists of veterans who have each played 30-40 or more games each, we still have the five-second rule. We deal out loyalty cards in the beginning of the game. Someone says, "Go", and we all pick up our loyalty cards at the same time. Then one player slowly counts to five and everyone must keep their eyes on their card at all times until the five-count is reached. We do the exact same thing during the Sleeper Phase as well.

Print outs are good, but someone still may be caught peeking at their print out, justly or unjustly. For us, the five-second rule works well. If your group isn't as familiar with the loyalty cards and effects, make it a slow ten-count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Sulin
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
General with new or less experienced players we all take a turn to look at the different loyalty cards before the game starts. Its at that point that if anyone has any questions they ask. Then we deal out loyalty(and still follow the 5 second rule above)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've just put the Cylon loyalty cards reference on a board-space and other-handy-info reference card. That way, the newbies have reason to be studying it at any point in the game, Cylon or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it REALLY that hard to remember either brig a player, sickbay a player, -1 morale or damage galactica? We don't even have ten games played yet, but it's never been a problem as long as they are all explained in the beginning and everyone looks at their cards for the same amount of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not hard at all. It's also not REALLY [sic] that hard to use the handy reference cards which are handy for other things as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Point is you don't have to remember everyone, only the one you actually have. What I DO support though, is having a printout of all of them so (as a human) you know what you can expect if/when someone reveals. Which is probably just as important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DCAnderson wrote:
Gawain wrote:
Is it REALLY that hard to remember either brig a player, sickbay a player, -1 morale or damage galactica? We don't even have ten games played yet, but it's never been a problem as long as they are all explained in the beginning and everyone looks at their cards for the same amount of time.

Those are pretty easy to remember.

It is hard to remember how many cards a player has to discard if they are sent to Sickbay.

It's also hard to remember that with the Brig card and the Sickbay card you may only target characters on Galactica.

And how does damaging Galactica work again? I damage the ship once or is it twice? Do I just flip over the first two I get, or do I draw multiple tokens and pick?

Oh, and then there is the new one from Pegasus. That one is not exactly easy to sum up in a sentence.

Thats what I teach to new players, that there's 4 differant abilities they have and they basically amount to that (sickbay, brig, damage, -1 morale). The specific number of cards generally doesn't matter to a new player, they just know they can hurt someone by throwing them into sickbay. And so far, I've never seen anyone use it on someone off galactica.
I also use a 10 second kinda rule that everyone stares at the care for a few seconds so as not to give away anything. As well I instruct people that they might need to pick up thier previous card so they can look at both.

It IS important to know a little something about your bonus, for instance if its morale damage the person may want to wait to reveal until the morale is down.

Anyway, just a few random thoughts. I wouldn't mind a reference that has the relevant text from the card, but I don't think there's a need for the entire card to be scanned in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.