Popular Tags: [View All]
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this a few times now, each time setting 2000 credits as the cut-off point. I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but my guess is you need a longer game to make red/yellow drives more viable. Same with larger ships. Not that I really mind. So, a question for the more experienced players: which cut-off point offers the richest strategic experience?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played to 3000 a couple of times and it really only added 2-3 turns onto the game. If you're delivering 3 high price goods, with demands, you can earn 800-1000 per shipment. With drives and a fast ship, you can probably do that quickly. I think going to 3000 brings factories into a more useful position, since you'll likely have more cash on hand and can purchase both the factory and good in one turn. I've never played to 4000, but I think 3000 is definitely worth trying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, we also found going to 3000 didn't add that much length to the game and we always play that way now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian White
United States
Clayton
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orph wrote:
I've only played to 3000 a couple of times and it really only added 2-3 turns onto the game. If you're delivering 3 high price goods, with demands, you can earn 800-1000 per shipment. With drives and a fast ship, you can probably do that quickly. I think going to 3000 brings factories into a more useful position, since you'll likely have more cash on hand and can purchase both the factory and good in one turn. I've never played to 4000, but I think 3000 is definitely worth trying.

I agree. $2000 is a good limit when teaching or learning the game, but it's really too short to allow infrastructure investments (space stations and factories) to pay off. $3000 allows a better experience. I don't think I've ever played to $4000.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've only played it a few times, and only to 2000 - that seems to fill the available time for a weeknight. If I get a weekend game day or a TABSCon game of this sometime, I might try 3000.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Kyrkos
United States
Sunnyside
New York
flag msg tools
Hi
badge
It was the Police Patrols, snooping into people’s windows. The patrols did not matter however. Only the Thought Police mattered.
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer $3000 because any ship choice is a viable strategy. In the $2000 game there is not enough time to make a Freighter pay off (and even a Transport is risky), while in a $4000 game a Clipper will usually end up falling behind.

Of course the board layout and other factors play a role in ship selection, but I have seen all three ship types win many times in the $3000 game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. I'll have to use my Birthday gaming festivities in a couple of weeks to get three or four thousand game going. In our 2000 games, Space Stations and Factories are relatively popular, but nobody bothers with any kind of upgrade aside from the shields.

BTW, has anyone here made a DiY copy with Dathkadan's files? I'm considering it but I don't know where to start. Shoot me a geekmail if you have any helpful tips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AT the WBC tournament, heats are played to $2000, the semis and final are $3000.

Personally, I prefer the longer game, it makes freighters/transports more viable and more often creates sold out planets, which can trap the unwary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott McNulty
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We always set a time limit with our game, but play to a dollar figure if we don't hit the time limit first.

When we stop at a time limit we allow people to have the value of the cost of the goods on their ship. They don't get the sale price, just whatever they spent on obtaining those goods.

That way, if someone knows that the time limit is nigh he won't just refuse to buy.

If we get to our Dollar point, we don't do this, of course.
If someone crosses the $3000 mark or whatever we set they have to do it with cash and deeds.

We always play 3000 these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan The Man
United States
Unspecified
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys play an interesting game if there is a difference between $2000 and $3000 WRT factories/space stations/ship types.

We find all ships are viable, and factories & space stations are purchased just fine at $2000.

Not saying "$2000 is better," just that we've never had a problem with utilizing all resources at this level. In fact, the unstated goal is for someone to win without improving their starting ship. That has been attempted many times, but pulled off only very rarely. I doubt THAT would be possible at $3000.

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott McNulty
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes it has with our $3000 games. Ones that actually got to the final dollar figure.

And in our last game someone ended at 2997 with the clock out.
They had their scout. The next guy behind him had 2920 as I recall. He had a transport. In fact everyone but the winner had a transport by then.

Mind you, we do play MOV a lot, so statistically we would have more kinds of events happen than another group.

I've no idea what your group and ours might be doing different from each other as well. Presumably there's a difference.

Our general experience is that if we play to 2000 we get almost no one able to make a transport or freighter pay off, and sometimes a clipper is a good purchase.
And it always depends on the number of players and some of the first cultures found. The clipper doesn't pay off at 2000 if people find trade sort of easy. Unless we have a full complement of six players.

Almost everyone tries to get a five leg trade route going. Or dead-heads some of the way. Occasionally someone will run a single leg dry if the money is good but often the time they spend doing it costs them later.

As for factories, it just plain depends. Some games they develop very early, others it takes a while. If we see a cheap factory on a route and we have the money we might just buy it instead of the station.

But we are always trying to buy things so other people don't have a chance at them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The games of this I've played 2000 is fairly short and a few times the entire map is never explored. 3000 is a standard goal for us and a few times we've played to 4000. Those games goods start to run out and there's also a lot more stations bought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.