Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a game out there that uses a mechanic where (1) you have a modular, variable map, (2) you spend money to discover the quality of a section (tile) of the map, which indicates how likely you are to find a natural resource and (3) after discovering, players can choose to race to trying to buying rights and extracting the resource?

I wonder if there's already good game design already made for the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Valley has many of those attributes.
Silverado isn't variable, but it contains some of these attributes as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Flaherty
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thebes has something along those lines. You gather information about various archeological sites. These cards decrease the amount of time needed to dig for artifacts. There are artifacts mixed with "dirt" all in a bag. When a player goes on a dig, they say how many weeks they will spend which is modified by the amount of information they have collected and can then draw tiles out of the bag - keeping the artifacts as points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, thebes is an interesting example. Perhaps that a resource draw will work in such a game--it seems more tasteful than using dice, though I hate to simply steal Thebes' idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielfreak wrote:

After looking at Lost Valley, I think a modular map is not necessary. A historical map would work better and simply have tiles attached that change in each game. It's still a bit hard to figure out how to require certain prerequisites to race to extract the resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not exactly what you are looking for, but related: Tinners' Trail
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
ralpher wrote:
Yes, thebes is an interesting example. Perhaps that a resource draw will work in such a game--it seems more tasteful than using dice, though I hate to simply steal Thebes' idea.

Eh, "drawing tiles from a bag" is hardly stealing an idea. There are plenty of ways that you could distinguish the game from Thebes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Planet Steam partially fits the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielfreak wrote:

Please ignore my second suggestion. I chose the wrong "Silver"

I meant to suggest: Silverton, which contains discovery, mining, and racing to build track to the mines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like I'll need to do some research.

I was thinking of a game where you traveled on a map, had to do exploration to find the resource, which then opened it up to all players, but the players needed to get property rights (limited spots), equipment (cost) and a road to the location (which then all could use).

It'd involve some tragedy of the commons/prisoner's dilemma play mechanics, as the faster you tried to extract the resource, the less there would be for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
I don't think he would like that.
badge
"A single action or event is interesting, not because it is explainable, but because it is true." - Goethe
mbmbmbmbmb
Conquest of Paradise is completely off-theme, but has some similar aspects. You explore uncharted waters in the exploration phase, and draw from a bag to see if it's open ocean or if there's an island. If island, you randomly choose an island tile to place there (face down—it's a secret from the other players until they discover it, too). To make use of the island's resources, you have to then transport a colonist via a canoe (plus you want it connected to your supply chain, which is in some ways analogous to a road), convert that colonist into a village, and then develop villages on the island to get more of the potential production points on that island, from 2-4 depending on the island.

I can imagine something similar for what you have in mind: prospecting, road building, development+extraction, plus the addition of needing to acquire land rights (auction?) instead of finder's keepers. Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Sauer
United States
Willow Street
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ralpher wrote:

Using a mechanic from one game and incorporating it into another isn't stealing. If that were the case you could claim that many great games "steal."

There are times when people really do find one of the best solutions to a particular gaming problem -- why settle for an inferior one if employing that mechanic is a wonderful idea.

The distinction between lifting a complete idea, and borrowing a mechanic are really two different things... in my opinion, that is.

For what it's worth...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mymil wrote:
Conquest of Paradise is completely off-theme, but has some similar aspects. You explore uncharted waters in the exploration phase, and draw from a bag to see if it's open ocean or if there's an island. If island, you randomly choose an island tile to place there (face down—it's a secret from the other players until they discover it, too). To make use of the island's resources, you have to then transport a colonist via a canoe (plus you want it connected to your supply chain, which is in some ways analogous to a road), convert that colonist into a village, and then develop villages on the island to get more of the potential production points on that island, from 2-4 depending on the island.

I can imagine something similar for what you have in mind: prospecting, road building, development+extraction, plus the addition of needing to acquire land rights (auction?) instead of finder's keepers. Hope this helps!

I like the idea of a player who discovers it first discovering the attribute secretly. Then if it does go up for auction, players will have to use their hunches if they haven't done their own research.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, sounds like Giganten has a key component of what I was considering. I definitely will have to check that out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Delta V vaguely has some of this feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.