United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,

I received my copy of Slaughter Gulch yesterday, devoured the rules last night, and played through my first game today. Here are my thoughts:

- The physical presence of the game, and the rules system, are both directly in line with Twilight Creations' usual product line. Almost everything is settled with simple d6 rolls. This keeps the mechanics from getting in the way of the setting, but is something of a departure from Deadlands' typical 52-card playing deck mechanic. Each member of your outfit is exactly the same, and has access to every item you own. Once you recruit a townsfolk to join your outfit, they turn into another of these clones. While it is very hard to recruit a Hangin' Judge, one well-placed roll (possibly aided by a crucifix or whiskey) will turn him into a card-carrying member of the Mad Scientists in no time. This example (and a few similar points) are minor peculiarities to get past.

- Once you get into the game, the theme shines through wonderfully. We played three players (Texas Rangers v. Agency v. Shaman), and early in the game the Shaman player was fearing the omnipresent long arms (plural) of the law. We were all harvesting ghost rock in every way possible, from hanging out at the mine to gambling at the saloon. When the encounter at the Theatre was revealed to be the Hangin' Judge, everyone collectively gasped! The Deadlands world does come alive once again, which to me is the main point of the game.

- Triggering the endgame is an interesting point, of which I'm not sure how I feel. There are six endgame conditions, and one is selected as the primary one; that is, when that one is fulfilled, the game ends that turn. The other five are still in the game, and fulfilling three of them can also bring it to a close. Our random primary condition was one outfit controlling three locations, which ended up happening by accident. With location control paying off pretty well in victory points, I thought this might turn the course of the game, but it ended up being much less influential.

Overall, I didn't buy this game with glorious thoughts of an FFG-style (overproduced) production. I came to the table looking for that Deadlands theme and flavor that I've enjoyed in other games. Slaughter Gulch meets that need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edited: See below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Breitenstein
United States
Campbell County
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Craig,
Thanks for the review. I'm glad you are enjoying the game.

As for the variable ending conditions, we did that to keep the game from becoming stagnant. We find that it changes how you play the game considerably.
Cheers,
Todd
Twilight Creations, Inc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Breitenstein
United States
Campbell County
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!,
Out of curiosity, where did you play this game? I'm thinking maybe you were playing wrong. I will admit that there is luck involved, but it is no where near 90%. Deadlands: the Battle for Slaughter Gulch is one of the best things Twilight Creations has done. We are extremely proud of it!
Cheers,
Todd
Twilight Creations, Inc.

shadow9d9 wrote:
Unfortunately, I found it to be 90% luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contemptus Mundi
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine's in the mail... can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not saying it is a bad game... but the dice rolls pretty much determine everything. I'm very very sensitive to luck. Dcon.

90% was an exaggeration. A very hefty amount though is based on rolls, not to mention the random events.

Great theme, great board/figures, good variety of characters. Just too luck based for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Breitenstein
United States
Campbell County
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
HeyNow,
Thanks for the reply. That makes a lot more sense. For what it's worth, Slaughter Gulch is based on the Deadlands rpg and we tried to be as true to the source material as possible. As such, there is luck in the game, much as there is in the rpg. Let's face it, an rpg without luck wouldn't be much fun.

We realize that "you can't please everybody." In fact, it is a fools errand to even try. What we find disheartening is when someone appears to be intentionally trying to tear down something on which we worked so hard.
Regards,
Todd
Twilight Creations, Inc.

shadow9d9 wrote:
I'm not saying it is a bad game... but the dice rolls pretty much determine everything. I'm very very sensitive to luck. Dcon.

90% was an exaggeration. A very hefty amount though is based on rolls, not to mention the random events.

Great theme, great board/figures, good variety of characters. Just too luck based for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did not intend it that way. It is a cool game, just not for me. I meant it more as a warning for people super luck sensitive like me. Ra and Tigris and Euphrates has too much luck for me : ).

toddbreitenstein wrote:
HeyNow,
Thanks for the reply. That makes a lot more sense. For what it's worth, Slaughter Gulch is based on the Deadlands rpg and we tried to be as true to the source material as possible. As such, there is luck in the game, much as there is in the rpg. Let's face it, an rpg without luck wouldn't be much fun.

We realize that "you can't please everybody." In fact, it is a fools errand to even try. What we find disheartening is when someone appears to be intentionally trying to tear down something on which we worked so hard.
Regards,
Todd
Twilight Creations, Inc.

shadow9d9 wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your thoughts, Craig. I'm thinking about buying this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I NEED a little luck in a game to enjoy it. Looking forward to trying this out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgand
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, there's no such thing as luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Peterson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belgand wrote:
In my experience, there's no such thing as luck.

Good against remotes is one thing... good against the living? That's something else...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.