Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
43 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Whhhhooooo-dooogggyyyy! It's high time for lynchin! Let's git 'im! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kentucky has been on my "never visit" list for many years. This changes nothing. That and Afghanistan.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt that you can lay this at the feet of Glenn Beck and the Tea Party protests.

I imagine this paragraph nails it on the head
Quote:
BIG CREEK, Ky. — A census worker found hanged from a tree with the word "fed" scrawled on his chest met his end in a corner of Appalachia with an abundance of meth labs and marijuana fields — and a reputation for mistrusting government that dates back to the days of moonshiners and "revenuers."


from
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jbzG_BlkG2...

To blame the Tea Party protests for this one stretches your credibility to the max.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chony McChuukface
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Reports are now saying it may have been a suicide or an accident and that he was hanging low enough that he could stand.

Of course, let's not wait for facts to come out, let's all just jump to conclusions and start the lynching.

After all, isn't that what the Internet is for?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ChonChuuk wrote:
Reports are now saying it may have been a suicide or an accident and that he was hanging low enough that he could stand.


I've seen that last one, but no news reports (as opposed to speculative blog posts) saying it might have been a suicide or accident. Neither of those two really would explain the "FED" scrawled on his chest either.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ChonChuuk wrote:
Reports are now saying it may have been a suicide or an accident and that he was hanging low enough that he could stand.

Of course, let's not wait for facts to come out, let's all just jump to conclusions and start the lynching.

After all, isn't that what the Internet is for?
]

He must have carved "fed" on his chest so that everyone would know what he was!
21 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
DCAnderson wrote:
Quote:
lynch (lnch)
tr.v. lynched, lynch·ing, lynch·es
To punish (a person) without legal process or authority, especially by hanging, for a perceived offense or as an act of bigotry.


How exactly would this not be a lynching?

"I repeat, I did not have lynching relations with that fed."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ExcitingJeff wrote:
ChonChuuk wrote:
Reports are now saying it may have been a suicide or an accident and that he was hanging low enough that he could stand.

Of course, let's not wait for facts to come out, let's all just jump to conclusions and start the lynching.

After all, isn't that what the Internet is for?
]

He must have carved "fed" on his chest so that everyone would know what he was!


No, it was supposed to be "fed up" but he did not have time to finish his suicide note.

Of course it was not suicide... c'mon.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GAWD wrote:
On 9/12 2009 (the same day as the Glenn Beck inspired Tea Party March on Washington, for those keeping score at home), a census bureau worker canvasing Kentucky had the misfortune of being killed, hung from a tree, and his body defiled by having the word "fed" carved into his body.

lynching?

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090924/D9ATL1BO0.html

http://gawker.com/5366498/census-workers-death-the-next-gene...


Ok seriously... as sad and as horrible as this is... it has NOTHING to do with any current political movements or agendas.

When I was a child and spent the summers on the family farms in Kentucky back in the hollers where we still used out houses... for real, every day, I would hear stories about the people in the crazy counties only a few dozen miles away where it wasn't safe to deliver "goods" if you were a truck driver. Because anybody who wasn't known by locals "on SIGHT" was considered a possible tax collector or to be from the tobacco, drugs and firearms agency or some other "Fed" and that they were considered fair game by many locals if they set foot in those counties.

In short... strangers risk their life just by going into some areas.

I am not proud of this part of my heritage... but it is a long standing reality... dating back to the whiskey rebellion right after the War of Independence.

Heck the history channel did a show "Hillbilly: The Real Story" that I saw a few months back and on it there was an old moonshiner talking frankly about running tax collectors off with guns. And they devoted about 20 min of the show to highlighting how many DEA agents get maimed or killed every year in those hills for trying to find and destroy the marijuana crops being grown in the national forests.

So this is not new nor related to "tea parties" in any form or fashion.

----

FYI though... Kentucky is a beautiful place to visit and to live. The people are clannish but if you get accepted into the community they will always be there for you and be willing to share their last loaf of bread or give you the shirt off their back.

I personally would rather live anywhere in KY even the crazy scary counties, than the majority of Los Angeles with its gangs, pollution, traffic, and crime rate. (Yes I have visited LA) Or almost any other major city.





9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WTF? Is this for real??
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chony McChuukface
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
ExcitingJeff wrote:
ChonChuuk wrote:
Reports are now saying it may have been a suicide or an accident and that he was hanging low enough that he could stand.

Of course, let's not wait for facts to come out, let's all just jump to conclusions and start the lynching.

After all, isn't that what the Internet is for?
]

He must have carved "fed" on his chest so that everyone would know what he was!


No, it was supposed to be "fed up" but he did not have time to finish his suicide note.

Of course it was not suicide... c'mon.



My bad. Obviously you know more than me so I bow to your omniscience.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GAWD wrote:
Um ... I wasn't blaming this on tea party protesters, per se.


No, but you bring up the Tea Parties & Glenn Beck in the same breath as presenting this information. It would be akin to my making mention of someone drowning and isn't it a coincidence that it happened the same day Ted Kennedy died. Wow, maybe Ted took one last fling before he shuffled into the great beyond.
Nope, that is stupid and a distasteful shot to insult someone by making light of another person's death.

GAWD wrote:
But, if you are delusional enough to believe that a dead man hanging from tree w/the word "fed" carved into his chest is not the result of the same underlying sentiment of tea party protesters who revel in their chants of "end the fed" at rallies, then there's not much I can do for you.


Got news for ya GAWD. My family comes from the Ozarks (not THAT much different from Kentucky in some respects) & I grew up hearing about folks that would shoot first & ask questions later. That had nothing to do with the 'underlying sentiment of the tea party protesters'. It had to do with folks making illegal moonshine, or stealing cattle, or growing 'wacky weed'.

As to the underlying sentiment of the tea party protesters, of which I am one, I would like to say that MY reason for protesting is that a large chunk of the Federal Government, both Republican & Democrat, appears to be heading toward telling me what I can do with my time, who I need to be compassionate towards with my money, and how I need to support people that are crooked as a hound's leg.

Am I an non-compassionate person? I like to think not, but I know that at times I am. I volunteer at charities, have worked on some local missions and even support three young girls in Africa. I do this because I WANT to, not because someone tells me I HAVE to.

Now this may really blow your mind, I actually am employed by the Federal Government. Yup, I am your tax dollars at work. Also, by a lot of estimates that I have read, I would actually be benefiting from a lot of this spending and tax breaks and other plans that have been floated across our radar. Guess what? I don't really want nor expect this help from the Federal Government. I don't want them taking money from folks better off than me and giving it to me unless I do something to earn it..

Why?

Because I would rather have someone help me out of the kindness of their heart and not some forced mandate put upon them in the form of taxes or fines or surcharges. I'm not talking about highways or the military. I'm talking about taxing someone at 30% so I only have to pay %25. I'm talking about giving benefits to folks that make 400% above the poverty level. If you can't make a living at 400% about poverty, you have more problems than the Federal Government can fix.

People will always be pissed off when you tell them they HAVE to do something. I'm not saying that we should get rid of all laws, but I am saying that FORCING people to contribute to the support of those less fortunate than themselves (no matter if those less fortunate are there permanently, temporarily, voluntarily, through circumstances outside their control, or they are stupid and/or lazy) will always result in a section of the populace that are 'giving' being mad about it.



GAWD wrote:
Besides, that wasn't what I started this about ... I started this thread to ponder whether of not this could be counted as a lynching (hence "lynching?" in my OP).


Yup, it's a lynching since someone was hanged without due process of law.

8 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As for the sentiment, I agree with Meerkat and okiedokie. I grew up in a rural county on the border of the Ozarks in Missouri. People pretty much just hated outsiders -- it has nothing to do with the federal governemnt per se, just a fear for being caught doing something illegal; much of which (at the time) was moonshine stills and marijuana growing.

There was/is a similar disdain for "cityfolk"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:

I personally would rather live anywhere in KY even the crazy scary counties, than the majority of Los Angeles with its gangs, pollution, traffic, and crime rate. (Yes I have visited LA) Or almost any other major city.


You'd not say the same thing if you had a foreign accent. A native Spanish speaker would find most of those cities a lot more welcoming than they would the deepest parts of KY, or even rural MO.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
ChonChuuk wrote:
Reports are now saying it may have been a suicide or an accident and that he was hanging low enough that he could stand.


I've seen that last one, but no news reports (as opposed to speculative blog posts) saying it might have been a suicide or accident. Neither of those two really would explain the "FED" scrawled on his chest either.


An accident? I assume he was not in a David Carradine-like pose when found. What kind of accidential "hanging-from-a-tree-in-the-woods-with-a-word-carved-in-my-chest-with-a-knife" accident could this be???
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
Meerkat wrote:

I personally would rather live anywhere in KY even the crazy scary counties, than the majority of Los Angeles with its gangs, pollution, traffic, and crime rate. (Yes I have visited LA) Or almost any other major city.


You'd not say the same thing if you had a foreign accent. A native Spanish speaker would find most of those cities a lot more welcoming than they would the deepest parts of KY, or even rural MO.


I really think this is true. As I mentioned in the previous post, their is a very healthy degree of skepticism of "outsiders". I would say it goes like this (from least skeptical to most skeptical):

cityfolk ---> racial minority ---> foreign accent (speaks English) ---> foreign, doesn't speak English ---> sexual minority ---> Government

This is just my experience growing up in rural missouri from 1984-1996. We were outsiders in the sense my mom, myself, and my brother were not born in the area (moved there because of remarriage)...well not really treated poorly, treated differently than the "clique" of clans that were inter-related to each other. Lynette is right that they are nice and would do anything for most people, you just have to work your way past their natural distrust for anything different.

My mom has finally moved to a more "metropolitan" area, which at least makes it tolerable to visit (rather than downright miserable)

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
Avatar
mb
Meerkat wrote:

Ok seriously... as sad and as horrible as this is... it has NOTHING to do with any current political movements or agendas.


yet.........

Currenty gun companies are having a hard time making enough ammo.....

Kentucky and Kalamazoo might be closer than you think.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
Meerkat wrote:

Ok seriously... as sad and as horrible as this is... it has NOTHING to do with any current political movements or agendas.


yet.........

Currenty gun companies are having a hard time making enough ammo.....

Kentucky and Kalamazoo might be closer than you think.


Damn, stretch logic with irrelevant connects often?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Kentucky has been on my "never visit" list for many years. This changes nothing. That and Afghanistan.


I've lived a total of almost three years in the cities of Lexington and Murray, KY. Kentucky is a great and beautiful state full of wonderful people. If I had the money, I'd seriously considering retiring there.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C'mon everbody! Let's have a hoedown!

Oh, Lord loves a hangin'.
That's why He gave us necks.
It tightens up our vocal cords
And loosens up our pecs.

So if you are a horse theif
And guilty to the bone,
Go ahead and blame a friend
And you won't hang alone.

It may be hard to swaller,
But you'll be three feet taller.
It's a dandy way to entertain your friends.

You say you are a villain,
But can't abide by killin';
Go ahead a steal yourself a horse.

Oh, Lord loves a hangin'.
And so do we, by heck;
So get yerself a lasso
And decorate your neck.

Oh, we is awful ignorant
And uglier 'n sin;
So go ahead 'n cut us down
And hang us all again,

Hangin' that is. Swing a spell...
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HeinzGuderian wrote:
WTF? Is this for real??


To be honest, every state I ever lived in or visited has stories about the "crazy counties" where strangers were unwelcome and a good story (with some kernel of truth, like an old newspaper story) to back it up.

There's good and there's bad but I don't think Kentucky is worse than any other state in the Union. (And if I had to bet, I'd say better.) It all comes down to people.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
Avatar
mb
Shushnik wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
Meerkat wrote:

Ok seriously... as sad and as horrible as this is... it has NOTHING to do with any current political movements or agendas.


yet.........

Currenty gun companies are having a hard time making enough ammo.....

Kentucky and Kalamazoo might be closer than you think.


Damn, stretch logic with irrelevant connects often?


No it's not.
When a particular view point cultivates fear as way to motivate it's adherents it is only a matter of time before a “fuse” is lit. I’m not stupid enough to believe that the motivation in Kentucky was the tea baggers, but the sentiments for these movements are an unmistakable “bomb propellant”. When some one preaches fear and that tells people that they are being painted into a corner. There might come a time where the “fuse” reaches the “propellant” and BANG.

fear mongering + bullets= tragedy

You can call me a shit for brains…
Can say I'm wrong…..
Blame it on the mental imbalance on the perpetrator (or me)….
You can call me illogical because you don’t agree…...

When someone with other issues that has been ginned up to feel marginalized, afraid, desperate and has had enough of________(Government, minorities, etc…) in “Anywhere USA” (Kalamazoo), some else is going to die.

If it happens whose logic will be flawed then?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GAWD wrote:
On 9/12 2009 (the same day as the Glenn Beck inspired Tea Party March on Washington, for those keeping score at home), a census bureau worker canvasing Kentucky had the misfortune of being killed, hung from a tree, and his body defiled by having the word "fed" carved into his body.

lynching?

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090924/D9ATL1BO0.html

http://gawker.com/5366498/census-workers-death-the-next-gene...


Notice how quickly urban legends can get started.

In between the news story in the first link and the blog vitriol in the second piece, a decomposed body found on September 12 became a man killed on September 12 and "scrawled on" his body became "carved in" his body.

Why let the facts get in the way of trying to gin up hate against your political opponents?
9 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
Shushnik wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
Meerkat wrote:

Ok seriously... as sad and as horrible as this is... it has NOTHING to do with any current political movements or agendas.


yet.........

Currenty gun companies are having a hard time making enough ammo.....

Kentucky and Kalamazoo might be closer than you think.


Damn, stretch logic with irrelevant connects often?


No it's not.
When a particular view point cultivates fear as way to motivate it's adherents it is only a matter of time before a “fuse” is lit. I’m not stupid enough to believe that the motivation in Kentucky was the tea baggers, but the sentiments for these movements are an unmistakable “bomb propellant”. When some one preaches fear and that tells people that they are being painted into a corner. There might come a time where the “fuse” reaches the “propellant” and BANG.

fear mongering + bullets= tragedy

You can call me a shit for brains…
Can say I'm wrong…..
Blame it on the mental imbalance on the perpetrator (or me)….
You can call me illogical because you don’t agree…...

When someone with other issues that has been ginned up to feel marginalized, afraid, desperate and has had enough of________(Government, minorities, etc…) in “Anywhere USA” (Kalamazoo), some else is going to die.

If it happens whose logic will be flawed then?


I'll just stick to wrong, I hate to be insulting to good people.

The bullet shortage has everything to do with fear over gun control. It has nothing to do with rural hate of government. To link the two is irresponsible, at least without giving a more solid reason for correlation.

Sure, somebody could get hurt over that one too. But the monsterous acts of a minuscule subgroup do not characterize the much larger parent group as many would paint in this thread.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
Avatar
mb
I'm not doing that at all. I said is.....

IF YOU PREACH DESPIRATION AND HATE DON'T BE SUPRISSED WHEN SOMEONES WANTS TO PUT A CAP IN SOMEBODY HEAD OVER IT.

As far as bullet sales I have no hard evidence, but I have heard that. I do know that gun sales are up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
I'm not doing that at all. I said is.....

IF YOU PREACH DESPIRATION AND HATE DON'T BE SUPRISSED WHEN SOMEONES WANTS TO PUT A CAP IN SOMEBODY HEAD OVER IT.

As far as bullet sales I have no hard evidence, but I have heard that. I do know that gun sales are up.


They just had an article on Yahoo news about this, but I'm too lazy to find it. Apparently, 7 billion rounds get sold in the USA on average, but it has spiked to 9 billion since Obama took office, putting pressure on manufacturers to keep up. Remington is running their factory 24-7 after adding another full shift.

As for the hanging guy, it wouldn't surprise me if he were lynched by batshit crazy extremists, but I think the story will turn out to be something more boring.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.