Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, with the G-20 in my town today, the obligatory protesters are here too. Some of these people got march permits, and some didn't. One group that didn't decided to march anyway. Here's a pic...

Apparently these guys planned to march downtown and bust up a bunch of windows - the usual stuff. They did break some windows in a bank, and busted one policecar window. However, Pittsburgh's finest is out in overwhelming force and the protesters are not getting through.

Apparently, based on some news interviews with would-be protesters, the protesters are bitterly disappointed that they aren't getting the run of the town as they did back in Seattle. They are referring to the town as a "police state".

Oh well. Grow up.

Maybe you don't like capitalism, or central governments, that's fine. But when you start throwing rocks at police and public property, you've crossed a line with me and the vast majority of people who live here. Find a way to get your message across without mindless violence and destruction and you, and your message, might actually stand a chance of being taken seriously.

What do the rest of you RSP'ers think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I think most of those people are just pissed they weren't alive in the 60's. Their antics are a pale imitation of the real thing. Not that the real thing was any better... those guys had parental support too... in the form of bail money and monthly stipends for their dorm rooms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Ramadanovic
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who once upon a time, in a country far far away, did go to illegal marches and chucked rocks at police... I agree with you.

There is a point at which violent resistance to the government becomes morally justifiable but that point is *so* far away for contemporary USA that these kids make mockery of such things as civil disobedience and resistance.

In effect there is really no substantive difference between them and the soccer hooligans venting out on public (and private) property after a lost game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GAWD wrote:
The funniest thing about the entire thing is that the city called in thousands upon thousands of police & national guard for a relatively tiny group of only ~1000 activists. The overwhelming paranoia of the state is on full display.

Anyhoo ... the vast majority of us were not going to turn out to another summit protest in the US, even though Pittsburgh is only day's drive from every major metropolitan area from Washington to Boston. Summit protests are sooooo 1999.

Most of us use our activist energy more wisely than getting stomped and gassed by cops.

btw: you can follow the live police scanners about the protest here:

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?ctid=2242

be prepared to be bored

Most of us use our activist energy more wisely than getting stomped and gassed by cops. - Thank you. I have no problem with activists per se, and this is a democracy, so please have at it. Like I said, having a message without violence and destruction is a good way to make sure it's taken seriously.

As for the boring part - that is entirely the point of the police presence: boring = no violence. We like boring!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I wish I could leave my bones and my skin and float over the tired, tired sea, so that I could see you again
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
But when you start throwing rocks at police and public property, you've crossed a line with me and the vast majority of people who live here. Find a way to get your message across without mindless violence and destruction and you, and your message, might actually stand a chance of being taken seriously.

What if "mindless violence and destruction" is their message?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mistermarino wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:
But when you start throwing rocks at police and public property, you've crossed a line with me and the vast majority of people who live here. Find a way to get your message across without mindless violence and destruction and you, and your message, might actually stand a chance of being taken seriously.

What if "mindless violence and destruction" is their message?

...then I say, let the police have a field day! There's no room for that rock throwing crap around here and if that's all they are about, they'll get what's coming to them! One thing about Pittsburgh (other than our six Lombardi trophies) is that the police in this town will never be accused of being overly sensitive. I would not mess with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
There you go, Drew. Stay on message.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Protesters are awesome!

Their calorie expenditures are as follows:
- Screaming in the face of riot police for the better part of a week 58%
- Hacky Sack/Devil Stick practice 10%
- Bumming money off their guilt-ridden parents 7%
- Saving up for Burning Man/Following Grateful Dead Phish Dave Matthews Band Tour 7%
- Taking up space at coffee shops (otherwise known as: driving away paying customers) 6%
- Making cleverly, biting signs that really stick it to the man, man! 5%
- Finding their next hit 4%
- Making hemp "jewelry" 2.9%
- Showering .1%
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Are they wrist ties next to the batons?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone else think it's odd that you need a permit to protest? Who decides if you are allowed a permit, and what happens if you don't get one? Do you have to pay for it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GAWD wrote:

Oh Dan ... you silly European you:

In America freedom isn't really "free" ... it's just a cool marketing slogan.

Oh I see. McFree. I getcha.

Nice Avatar!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
desertfox2004 wrote:
Find a way to get your message across without mindless violence and destruction and you, and your message, might actually stand a chance of being taken seriously.

You probably mean "without mindless violence and destruction exerted by your own means", as exerting violence and destruction through police is apparently OK to get your message across.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HeinzGuderian wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:
Find a way to get your message across without mindless violence and destruction and you, and your message, might actually stand a chance of being taken seriously.

You probably mean "without mindless violence and destruction exerted by your own means", as exerting violence and destruction through police is apparently OK to get your message across.

Yeah, the Police probably have the right permits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greendan wrote:
HeinzGuderian wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

Yeah, the Police probably have the right permits.

If the protesters get out of hand, as they did last night, and start breaking windows and destroying property, then they are no longer protesters, but simple criminals, and the police have every right to use all legal means to arrest them and take them into custody, and I have no problem, whatsoever, with the police doing that. Some protesters here have done it the right way, with peaceful marches, holding signs, and they have had no problems. The hooligans on the other hand have been dealt with using legal police methods, including tear gas, acoustic devices, rubber bullets, and other non-lethal methods, and I, and the vast majority of Pittsburghers, fully support the police efforts. I make no apologies for that. You want to march with a sign and shout a slogan or two, no problem. Start busting up our town and it's a different story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HeinzGuderian wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

Why don't you fully explain your obtuse statement? The police are merely arresting criminals, they are not destroying anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
joebelanger wrote:
Protesters are awesome!

- Saving up for Burning Man/Following Grateful Dead Phish Dave Matthews Band Tour 7%
- Taking up space at coffee shops (otherwise known as: driving away paying customers) 6%
- Showering .1%

Reverse the percentages and you have gencon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
Surely you aren't implying that GenCon attendees spend 58% of their caloric expenditure showering?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Yeager
United States
Sykesville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad the police have been so active!

I mean, a randomly destructive mob in the wrong area of Pittsburgh, if left unchecked, could cause thousands of dollars in property improvements!

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
joebelanger wrote:
Protesters are awesome!

- Showering .1%

Reverse the percentages and you have gencon.

Half of GenCon attendees think that Dave Matthews is mostly likely a game designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.