Micha Snijder
Netherlands
Wageningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I played the game twice and it was an absolute blast, so the third one will follow soon.

My observations so far:

- Domestic opinion is key. Played twice, lost twice. All because too many of my ships sank. When drawing event cards think twice about taking the option that makes your DO drop.
- Land on the 21st of May. Not one day later. Argentine troops start populating San Carlos beginning the 21st and if the majority of your landings are going to be opposed you are going to lose.
- Always interdict supply. Except perhaps when you lack the planes. I did some calculations and getting to Sit.Rep Card 4 as fast as possible and then having 3 harriers interdict every turn will likely get the Argentine supply down to 3 by the 21st of May. Denying the Argentine Land Forces their supply is key in winning the land battles. 1d8 vs. 1d4 are far better odds then 1d8 vs. 1d6.
- Place CAP on NW, W, and SW positions. Nimrod only detects incoming once every three times. If a sector is attacked without Nimrod, SAS, or Chilean early warning then the ships get no return fire (10.0 is skipped), except when there is a harrier present. It's not so much the harrier's firepower that is important. (misread the rules)

Some strategies that I'm unsure about:

- Land the strength 6 British units first? My theory is: they defend reasonably well, but an opposed landing?
- All British Subs in the Coastal Patrol Box after a British Ship is sunk?

What are other people's observations? Some advice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wright
United Kingdom
Falmouth
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my first 2 games I played one sub in each box, but in my current game I am playing 2 coastal and 1 search.

This seems to be working better (apart from the ROE!). I haven't yet had any Argentine vessel in the Exclusion box, hence my decision to stop putting a sub into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hodges
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Micha,

I think you've got a pretty good strategy there.

Martin, I prefer a 1-2 stratgey for intial placement. My reasoning is that if a sub or Task Group makes it to the Coastal Zone, the risk to the Task Force is still relatively low.

Patrol Zone is higher risk, and there's still a relatively high chance of a sub in particular slipping through.

I usually ignore the Exclusion Zone, because there's a relatively low probability of an initial placement there.

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Schall
United States
Evans City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same observations here. Excellent ideas. The only thing I haven't tried is landing with the 6 strength units. I tend to land with the "heavies" first. Will have to try this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Collingham
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might be right regarding landings. I landed with the heavies first and they have stayed there successfully repelling most counterattacks but the lighter units have more often than not failed to get a foothold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valle
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played 3 times, 3 British losses. :-(

I just wanted to mention the importance about the Domestic Opinion/Argentinian supply, since it affected my last two games:

1-On 2nd game the Task Force came to San Carlos intact(yes, no single vessel lost to the Argies), but it was on May 26, when all Argie Ground units occupied the landing zones. At the end of May 28 I controlled only 3 out of the 10 landing zones. My dice roll for supply interdiction was horrendous. And yes, the British units which kept their ground were the strength 10(SBS) and two strength 8 units respectively.

2-On 3rd game I managed to cut down the Argie supply, but when I launched Operation Sutton(May 22) I lost 3 warships and 2 Troop ships in a single turn. The Public Opinion plummeted down to zero in front of my eyes!!

Weekend in here, so I'll give it another try. Perhaps this time I can recapture the islands. :-/

Jumval:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.