Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a way to cancel a trade that is pending approval?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, just message the person right away and let them know why you can't go through with it further. Beware, that means the person you trade with could leave a negative feedback. I had that happen to me once when I needed to cancel a trade. Fortunately, I had almost forty positive trade ratings which made this guy's bad rating moot. It could happen though; hopefully, the other person is an understanding and doesn't take it personally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily H.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ricomaurer wrote:
No, just message the person right away and let them know why you can't go through with it further. Beware, that means the person you trade with could leave a negative feedback. I had that happen to me once when I needed to cancel a trade. Fortunately, I had almost forty positive trade ratings which made this guy's bad rating moot. It could happen though; hopefully, the other person is an understanding and doesn't take it personally.

Wait - it was still pending approval (i.e., only a trade request) and the person accepted it and then left negative feedback?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ricomaurer wrote:

Cancelling a trade should not merit a negative. I believe a negative only should happen if someone misrepresents the game in a major way or doesn't ship.

For all other cases, a neutral works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ricomaurer wrote:
No, just message the person right away and let them know why you can't go through with it further. Beware, that means the person you trade with could leave a negative feedback.

This sounds like a different situation Rick. "Pending approval" sounds like the trade hadn't been accepted yet and that Nate wanted to cancel the offer (which you can't do).

In that case, you can do what someone did to me a couple of weeks ago - well, not actually "to me", there wasn't anything negative about it. We negotiated a trade, and he sent me a trade proposal. Before I had accepted it he changed his mind, apologized and asked if I was interested in anything else from his trade list. So knowing that he didn't want to make the trade he had offered, I just declined it. We didn't reach another agreement, but that's OK - people change their minds all the time. No harm done to either party. It's a little disappointing to one person but nothing more, and most of us are understanding about it. So I'd follow that path - send a polite GM explaining that you can't make the trade after all and ask if they would please decline your trade offer.

Edited because I can't spell "pending"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I should have explained further. Yes, they have to accept in order to leave feedback. In my case, they accepted but something came up right after they accepted and contacted them immediately. Unfortunately, they got extremely upset and decided to leave a nasty comment. Like I said before, it didn't really hurt me because I had more positive trade ratings than that. Still, it isn't beyond the realm of possibility when you are dealing with people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.