Popular Tags: [View All]
Thom Barchet
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To Space Hulk Haters: Compare the ratings of Space Hulk to Space Hulk (third edition). The distribution is clearly skewed, indicating non-normal statistics. I equate this to hype. Additionally, the old edition has almost twice as many ratings with only one rating of 1 (compared to 19 with the new edition). Shame on you! There's no way the game got that much worse. When the bitterness towards the fans of Space Hulk wears off, please update/remove your ratings.

To Space Hulk Fans: Compare the ratings of Space Hulk to Space Hulk (third edition). Cool your jets. You've completely messed up the statistics, and Gauss would be rolling in his grave. I understand that this is what you've all been waiting for, and if pissing off a bunch of eurogamers gets you off, by all means, but when the glory of Space Hulk wears off, please update your ratings.

Well, that should stir up the hornet's nest.

EDIT: Just so you know, I can't even determine if it's actually a good game, seeing as how the ratings are clearly a shouting match, and the most thumbed reviews are just jokes about how manly Space Hulk is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think virtually every 10 is a valid 10 (for its rater), and that every 1 is invalid (ie disingenuous).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the third edition is so vastly superior, I anxiously await the flood of first editions on the marketplace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Barchet
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
I would think virtually every 10 is a valid 10 (for its rater), and that every 1 is invalid (ie disingenuous).
I agree. A 1 means the game is broken, and if anyone gives a game a 10, I'm pretty sure no 1 can be true.
aaxiom wrote:
You'd have more fun if you simply played Space Hulk... either edition.
I wasn't intentionally stirring up the hornet's nest. I would also love to play Space Hulk...either edition. It's just currently not in the cards for me.

I hate having to explain myself, but I thought my post was clear. I guess it was slightly skewed towards the "Haters", but it was fair in that statistically the ratings are skewed. I wanted to encourage the people rating the game to rate honestly, so that the people like me can make heads or tails of the whole situation. While reviews can be really funny, a lot of them don't really tell me if I should run out and snatch up one of the limited copies that can be found.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Wells
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. After a few more plays, I probably will readjust my rating. It really is better than the 9.5 I gave it initially and it's staying fresh and fun. Space Hulk could quite likely be my first 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Barchet
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AEIOU wrote:
I agree. After a few more plays, I probably will readjust my rating. It really is better than the 9.5 I gave it initially and it's staying fresh and fun. Space Hulk could quite likely be my first 10.
If that's how you feel, I hope you do rate it 10!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Scientist Philip von Doomula
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
"I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
mbmbmbmbmb
I gave Space Hulk a 9.5 after 4 plays and I am a eurogamer at heart. I had never played the 1st or 2nd edition but wanted to. The new edition made it possible for me to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Hundley
United States
Danville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Call it like it is: the people who posted the "1" ratings are idiots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark camp
United States
Lesser Binghamton Area
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The real question for me is how is this any different than the Agricola hype? Some douchebag actually sent out emails to people who gave that ratings that he felt were too low. On top of that, it had an ungodly amount of 10s from people in North America literally months before it was ever released in english.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solarinus wrote:
To Space Hulk Haters:

Who the hell are you talking to? What haters? Where? Show me the threads.

Maybe my current cold has rattled my wits, but I only see one very vocal side of this imaginary argument.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Rodman
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmb
Solarinus wrote:
To Space Hulk Haters: Compare the ratings of Space Hulk to Space Hulk (third edition). The distribution is clearly skewed, indicating non-normal statistics. I equate this to hype. Additionally, the old edition has almost twice as many ratings with only one rating of 1 (compared to 19 with the new edition). Shame on you! There's no way the game got that much worse. When the bitterness towards the fans of Space Hulk wears off, please update/remove your ratings.

To Space Hulk Fans: Compare the ratings of Space Hulk to Space Hulk (third edition). Cool your jets. You've completely messed up the statistics, and Gauss would be rolling in his grave. I understand that this is what you've all been waiting for, and if pissing off a bunch of eurogamers gets you off, by all means, but when the glory of Space Hulk wears off, please update your ratings.

Well, that should stir up the hornet's nest.

EDIT: Just so you know, I can't even determine if it's actually a good game, seeing as how the ratings are clearly a shouting match, and the most thumbed reviews are just jokes about how manly Space Hulk is.

So we should base our ratings on how others have rated a game? You know that the ratings aren't meant to measure quality of a game, but rather ones desire to play it. Being as how it is the most talked about subject on BGG (add your thread to the pile) it kind of stands to reason that it is also the most desired to be played as well. Think about it. it deserves a 10 from anyone that "wants to play it at any opportunity", it's pretty straight forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
Since the third edition is so vastly superior, I anxiously await the flood of first editions on the marketplace.

Sell my copies of the first and second editions? WHY? The board pieces are thinner, but still compatible. Heck, I can use them to represent separate areas of the Hulk for my mega-battles on boards of my own design, during which the extra Genestealers will also be useful.

SELL my earlier editions? No freakin' way ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solarinus wrote:
To Space Hulk Haters: Compare the ratings of Space Hulk to Space Hulk (third edition). The distribution is clearly skewed, indicating non-normal statistics.(…)
You've completely messed up the statistics, and Gauss would be rolling in his grave.
It is perfectly normal that BGG rank statistics don't always exhibit a Gaussian probability law! Imagine, for instance, a wonderful game that everybody wants to play: the histogram of ranks would certainly not be a bell curve, but something like a gentle curve sliding down from 10 to 7 or something. Judging from the current rank histogram, it looks like Space Hulk is such a game. There is nothing wrong with this. The curve is nice and smooth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate people giving Space Hulk a "10" even though they openly admit they really think it's a "8" or a "9". If you think the game deserves a "8", then rate it that way, damnit! And in all honesty, are there really 500 people believing that SH is an "Outstanding game" and that they will "always be playing it and believe it never change" mere weeks after the game's release? Even those that did not even get to play it yet?

As for those that give "1"s, well, yes, I agree they are complete idiots. Thankfully enough, there really isn't a lot of them, and I honestly think those votes aren't even calculated in, or are calculated with some very measly ponders attached. Whoever gives this game a "1" solely based on his "hate" of AT games or "worry" that his beloved games will lose their "elite" status has some serious issues.

In any case, as with plenty other popular hobbies/subjects/websites, fanboyism is what ultimately destroys the quality and purpose of the matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete lovatt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I rated the game as an 8. i've got friends round for regular space hulk nights and they're getting their own squads together at the moment. its great fun. the only thing that lets it down are the tiles which unfortunatly seem to be delaminating on the edges. i'm quite upset by this what with it being limited edition i'd have expected it to be hardier.
still its alot of fun and gets you thinking about how best to ambush the marines or how best to fend off those gribbly stealers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My God I'm getting tired of these, so this'll likely be my last commentary on Space Hulk 3 that isn't about the game, but about the "story".

I see the current hype and interest as positive for gamers in general; its GREAT to see a game so respected and desired BACK. Given that, I also see the ratings spike as what one would expect from an expansion for a great game. Why is that, you ask?

Space Hulk had a solid group of fans, from years and years ago. Those ratings aren't even in question. What that means, however, is that those same people were the MOST likely group to spring for a new edition of a greta game. It does cost a hundred bucks, and not everyone is going to be willing to jum p right into "belief" for that much dinero.

So, what do you get? A group of established, dedicated and supportive fans and NEW fans who've been lamenting not getting into it sooner, but were really just chomping at the dice to grab a chrome-filled beautiful SLUGFEST that they've heard so much about. Mostly.

What kind of ratings are you going to get?

The "1" ratings I don't get at all. While a lot of the "10"s are probably inflated (its not my favorite game, and won't dominate too much, unless my 14-year old really gets ito it), the "1" cannot be logically defined. A game with its history, mechanics and pieces cannot be justifiably rated at "1" without extremely extenuating circumstances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a rating of "1" is perfectly justified. Let's just analyze it, shall we?

1 - Defies description of a game. You won't catch me dead playing this. Clearly broken.

OK, let's go.

Defies description of a game - it's not just a game, it's SO MUCH MORE! Therefore, it defies description. Is it a game? Is it a collection of wonderful paintable miniatures? Is it a work of art?

You won't catch me dead playing this. - It's pretty hard to play games when you're dead, so this is obviously true.

Clearly broken. - A few of my minis were clearly broken when I opened up the box. Sure some glue fixed this, so they are now "not so clearly broken", but still - if I showed those minis to someone before gluing, he would definitely say "Woah, man, that mini is clearly broken.".

So basically, one can rate this game a "1" without lying. But are you REALLY sure you will always be playing this game? Are you ready for that commitment? Because once you say it, there's no return. So are you? ARE YOU?

(This post is a joke. Please don't take it seriously. If you rate SH a 1 because of this post, then you are clearly a moron so please go somewhere and kick yourself in the head with a brick at least seventeen times. Hard. Thank you for your time.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

No I am not, but I would not rate it as 1. A rating of 1 shows that the person has not got SH or if he has, he has not played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krishna Sampath
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
OM | Cal alum | Trekkie | BGG! | Crosswords | Lawyer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
I think a rating of "1" is perfectly justified. Let's just analyze it, shall we?
{aticks his tongue firmly in his cheek}
Heh. This post is made of fun.

-K

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.