Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JW
Australia
Doncaster
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This idea popped into my head when I was playing with my friends a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't tried it out yet.

Rules remain exactly the same, but players play to score the highest point (relative to the other players) each turn; at the end of the game, players with the most highest scoring rounds win. You count scores exactly the same way, from develops, settles and the consume phase.

e.g.
-if A scores 1 point, B and C both traded and scored none this turn, then A gets '1' point to his final score, B and C both get 0.

-if A scores 10 points (say from a consume x2), B and C get 9 each, A gets '1' point to his final score, B and C still get 0.

Would this be a feasible way to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like it would be slow with all of the constant counting, and I don't see what it buys in terms of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without scoring tableau points this would pretty much invalidates developments and there aren't enough high defense military worlds to secure enough win points. Everyone would just rush a produce/consume x2 strategy. Boring luck of the draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crushedguava wrote:
You count scores exactly the same way, from develops, settles and the consume phase.

Born-of-Ashes wrote:
Without scoring tableau points

Tableau points are scored.

My intuition is that this would be fun a couple of times to figure out how to play, then degenerate into a luck-of-the-draw once players figured out how the strategies work. Maybe not - there's enough of an engine to Race that even a radical change like this might make a fine game. Very unlikely to be near as good as the original, since the original is tuned to its own rules.

Explore becomes far stronger. It feels like anything that passively (or almost passively) increments your score by 1-2 becomes far stronger, like Deficit Spending, 6-devs that give points for other cards, a reliable Consume+good. Not sure what else is implied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brough
msg tools
mbmb
I suspect consume becomes all-powerful. The other ways of scoring points tend to involve big lumps of points coming infrequently - when you place a 6-development to score off everything you've already built, or when you finally put down those military worlds you've built up the strength to conquer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This would be a lot better in three player or more, where it become more tactical. I'd still consider it pretty weird, but I suppose I'd try it if someone else suggested it and I was already bored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.