Popular Tags: [View All]
Vicente Martí
Spain
Onda
Castellón
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which is better?

Does A House Divided promote more the movement and the control of cities and For The People the historical depth and the battles?

Is For The People a slave of the system Card-Driven ? Better with fewer cards?
Is A House Divided better with fewer rules?
Is combat in A House Divided bad?
I do many questions....:laugh:

Other good games of the American Civil War?

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Skip both of them and play The Civil War. This is the real deal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the People and The Civil War (VG) are the two best ACW games IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A House Divided is a great introductory game.

For the People is a far more complicated one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vicente, these are all excellent games. I really couldn't choose between them (including Civil War) because they all have different strengths. I believe that A House Divided is an inferior game (though still good) to the others, but A House Divided is an essential intro game and I have played it with a lot of new wargamers (including both my sons).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jack raten
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on how deep you're willing to go. For the People is a much more complicated game, while a House Divided is much simpler. I hear they are both good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For strategic ACW, my choices would be:

- A House Divided if you like more traditional mechanics
- The Price of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 if you like the card driven mechanics

I've had both Civil War and For the People and traded them because I thought they were too complex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can drag up a copy of Blue vs. Gray (the deluxe version from GMT), it's worth it for the cards alone. The game play is good, there's a historical set up you can do.

The cards are almost Civil War baseball cards. The unit histories, the leaders, the major engagements they fought in, images of the leaders, and--for the units themselves--their battle standards.

Movement is the wonkiest bit, but it's not meant to be a day-by-day schedule of events. Once I got that abstraction down, I enjoyed the game quite a bit.

For the People is a great game though. It's not as complex as it seems, but there is a big learning curve as you try to nail it down. Just be willing to blow it here and there and play again as you read...it's a very good game and a challenge. I really enjoy it right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
I vastly prefer A House Divided to For the People. Just try them both of course if you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on what you're looking for.

I own both "A House Divided" and "For the People."

"A House Divided" is a rather simple to learn, quick to play wargame with only limited historical depth and/or accuracy, but it's something I've played numerous times (enough so that my copy is starting to show pretty noticable wear, and I'm not a great fan of the American Civil War period).

Conversely, "For the People" is more complex and takes far longer to learn and play, but provides a great deal of detail and is (arguably) a fairly accurate depiction of the war -- I've played it precisely twice, and doubt I will again. That's not to say that "For the People" is necessarily a bad game, just that the entertainment it provides me fails to outweigh the effort and time required to play it. If I play something that deep, I want to come away feeling I've learned something significant about the subject, and I don't get that with "For the People" -- but you might, depending on the depth of your interest in the conflict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicente Martí
Spain
Onda
Castellón
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible to find a version on-line of the rules of The Civil War?.
I am interested and it is more comfortable to initiate a translation to the Spanish ..... if I find the game in some city of country.... It is not easy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Perez Ron
Spain
Sevilla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vmarti81 wrote:
Is it possible to find a version on-line of the rules of The Civil War?.

An unnoficial 3rd Edition of rules is available here:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?233@651.bj1gaH0FiSw.46@.ee6...

Regards, Manuel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.