Popular Tags: [View All]
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I play Lost Cities I am part of an excavation in Egypt or Mesopotamia in Agatha Christe style. Soon something mysterious happens, Hercule Poirot appears, of course, and all kind of exciting and mind intriguing things will take place. In the end, he summons all the participants of the expedition and cleverly solves all the mysteries.
For my elder son Lost Cities reminds him of Indiana Jones IV. I cannot say much about that as I did not see that movie but I believe he is right in his own perspective. Certainly, we both like the artwork of the cards. Inspires your imagination.
Having discussed these reminiscences, my elder son and I set out to take part in various expeditions. Lost cities? We will find them!
We played one game in two rounds. At this point when the picture was taken we both had four expeditions going on.

This is the result of all the excavations we did.

We both ended up investing in all the five expeditions but with the yellow city I could only put in one investment and found only one ruin.
I came in first in our first round. My son found the 20 deduction rule painful. He has to learn that you have to invest if you want to achieve something everywhere, right?
In our second round we both used more careful strategy. We paid closer attention as to which cards to discard and which expeditions to start. We had exciting moments when we decided to go on the same expedition (tsk, tsk) or we had the lower number of an expediton card right after we put down the higher number. Yes, you get surprises even in seemingly easy discoveries!
At the end of the second round we both ended up investing in four expeditions (more careful strategy than in our first game). We even prolonged the game by picking up cards from the discard pile so that we could excavate and find more treasures in the Lost Cities. And despite of the painful deduction for each expedition, my son won the second round! A pleasant surprise for him.
We like about the game that we do not know what missing part of the lost cities we will find and in what order we will find the old remains. Your decisions influence the success of the expedition. And your decisions are based on strategy, luck and careful attention to the cards. Also it keeps your interest to find out to what extent you will be able to finish the expediton before the contract ends- eg. before you run out of cards
During our quest to find lost cities no murder took place and consequently we did not meet Mr. Poirot. Just in my imagination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reich
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you guys play backwards? It looks as if you started low and worked your way higher and played investment cards last. Whereas it should be the other way around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you think that? The investment cards are underneath all the rest, clearly were on the table first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reich
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, sorry I was thinking without my brain. I rescind my assumption that you were playing backwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh god no! The cards don't line-up with the colours on the game board.

My OCD is screaming in my ears. Why, why, WHY!shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Why, why,

Whoops, Sacrileges, isn't it? I think that was our first game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reich
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not ONLY don't they line up!!! They are in the wrong ORDER!!!

EDIT* I'm OCD too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.