Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Owen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When did Doom and the Doom Expansion become out of print? Has FFG announced any possible plans for reprints?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Lamb
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I don't think it is OOP - both the game and expansion appear to be for sale on FFG's website ( http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm... ). I'm fairly certain I've seen it on several other websites for sale as well - CardHaus or ThoughtHammer or one of those had it recently when I was browsing.

Or, you could do what I did, and pick it up off ebay new for around the same price as the discount online retailers are selling it for. When I bought mine a few months ago there were loads of copies for fair prices (well below MSRP).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It *is* OOP, but there are still a lot of copies from the first and second run to go around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Has
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
This is why I recently purchased the expansion. I couldn't stand to think I wouldn't be able to buy it later.

Come to think of it, that is why I purchased Space Hulk as well. Stupid Games Workshop!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find a copy, you'd better buy it. It is out of print, and FFG has said they will not print any more copies for the foreseable future (my guess is licensing costs). They're also out of the newer "engraved" dice, so once you get a copy, seal the dice with a varnish of some kind or they *will* fade away.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Gosh ! Please do not tell me that this game is also going to be selling for $100 on ebay by Christmas. laugh

Intuition told me this Doom malarky would happen when SH was going to be released hence my post on the Doom forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:

Gosh ! Please do not tell me that this game is also going to be selling for $100 on ebay by Christmas. laugh

Intuition told me this Doom malarky would happen when SH was going to be released hence my post on the Doom forum.

I think Doom has been headed down the path to OOP for quite awhile. And I wouldn't be surprised if it does become a $100+ game by Christmas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it really that dire? I've been watching prices for months now and have seen no fluctuations. Has something happened recently that could spark demand or is this just a matter of the existing copies eventually being sold out... be that this Christmas or years from now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
Is it really that dire? I've been watching prices for months now and have seen no fluctuations. Has something happened recently that could spark demand or is this just a matter of the existing copies eventually being sold out... be that this Christmas or years from now?

It seems like several places are either running out of stock (ThoughtHammer for example) or are choosing not to restock it.

ThoughtHammer's website says it's backordered, but I've seen games go quickly from that status to permanently out of stock (the Asmodee edition of Fire & Axe: A Viking Saga with all the miniatures is a recent example) that started going for $80+shipping on eBay within a month. Fortunately I was able to pick up a copy on Amazon for $40.

As to Doom's status... I haven't got a clue what's in FFG's warehouse (maybe they have enough stock still for years) but once retailers can't restock I would expect the remaining copies to dwindle very quickly and I wouldn't be surprised to see the eBay price jump up to the $100 range.

I just have a feeling that Doom is going to be one of 'those' games... being one of those games that are great to pick up now for $40-$50 but there's no chance I'd pony up $100+.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:

The only possible "spark" may be caused by the fact that plenty of people have realized that Doom presents a nice, cheap alternative to more expensive and generally unavailble but oh-so-popular Space Hulk.

But I feel there's still more then enough copies around, and the game is pretty cheap on eBay it would be really amazing if the prices suddenly jumped five-fold, be it Christmas or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up the game plus the expansion as a internet store here in Norway said "Only 1 left in stock".
One of the gamestores close by also has one or more copies, but at a far too expensive price for me

The game was intended to be my christmas gift this year, but few in stock caused it to arrive yesterday.
http://www.geekdo.com/geeklist/46590

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

There are quite a number of gamers now wanting Doom hence my post in the Doom forum before SH mania. It is the alternative game and because it is now OOP, the price asked for the basic game and the expansion will go up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone who's actually played both games see one as an alternative to the other? I sure don't. I can see where someone might conclude they're similar without knowing both games. I've seen far FAR more tenuous comparisons on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I contend they are similar. In fact, that was the main reason I bought Doom, it looked similar to Space Hulk on the back, and after playing, it's close enough to be quite enjoyable. There are definately differences, but there are also definate similarities to the point that most who like one will like the other.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if our chatter here is beginning to create a false panic. surprise I was placing an order this weekend and figured I'd go and get the expansion now even though I won't be using it any time soon. Boards & Bits sold out over the weekend before I could order and they've had copies for some time. I ended up ordering somewhere else at a better price (I think I got a better price because they have the wrong retail price in their system and thus it calculates a smaller selling price.). Maybe B&B will have it back in stock shortly and it's nothing at all, but I figured I'd say something since we've been talking about the game possibly running out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Has
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Does anyone know a retailer that sells the Doom dice sets? I want to get three more sets so everyone has their own dice and we're not passing dice around the table the entire game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know where you can buy the dice, but I looked into it recently and they're pretty easy to make. The templates are here on BGG. You could print them on sticker-paper and pop them on to some blank dice easily enough. Blank dice can be bought at a teacher's supply (amongst other places, I'm sure). They come in different colors and are 25 cents apiece. For what it's worth, the same can be done with Descent dice if you wish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG *was* providing (maybe even selling, not sure) newer dice with engraven sides (instead of printed on/silk-screened sides). But when I spoke with Thaadd, as my dice are finally starting to fade, she said they're all out and there aren't any plans to remake them

I guess I'll have to print out stickers and affix them to the dice...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if a place like Chessex could use the templates to make some engraved custom dice we could use?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Doom and the expansion a few days ago from my FLGS. I actually just wanted to check how many copies they had in stock, but when I heard that there were only 2 copies of the base game and 1 copy of expansion remaining I had no choice but to grab them both.

I had wanted to do some analysis on "why should I get Doom since I already have Descent", but after my first game of Doom I'm already very glad I did. It's so much more streamlined and fast-paced.

Anyway... get it while you can!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, I just bought mine from dicehead on eBay for $27 and that's the best deal I could find anywhere. It's an online store and he has a few more copies if anyone else wants it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an update for anyone that's interested... I noticed that ThoughtHammer has both Doom and the expansion in stock right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This would explain why I suddenly got three trade offers for Doom in the last two days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean P
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The video game and the boardgame itself are not really new, and I figured that it would probably go out of print soon anyway. If only to be replaced by Gears of War.

Thankfully, I've got my copy. But it reminds me of when Betrayal at House on the Hill went cheap briefly and then got to be ridiculously expensive.

If you think you may want it, get it now. If it gets reprinted, you have a great game. If it doesn't you won't be kicking yourself for not getting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah well. I've looked Doom and its expansion over for the last year or two and have thought quite a bit about taking the plunge, but I've held off. I've already got the original Space Hulk as well as Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel so Doom should be right up my alley. It's just I'm not sure I can justify the purchase of another somewhat expensive game so close in theme and set-up to what I've already got.

It does look cool though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.