Joe Thomas
United States
Coshocton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I know that this might tick some of you off, and maybe hate me but I have to ask. What's the big deal with Space Hulk (third edition)? I see all of these forums about Space Hulk this and Space Hulk that:

Ever since I got Space Hulk, I lost 30 lbs.
Space Hulk save my marriage because it made my member larger!
My 10 year old son was failing out of school. Until I got Space Hulk for him. Now within one year, he's teaching school!
If it wasn't for Space Hulk, I would be in prison now. Thank you Space Hulk making people

I will admit that the game looks interesting, but for the price, I do not think so! I can't justify that much money for one game that's for only 2 players! I have a gaming group and there's more than two players. I can take that money and get games like Power Grid, Race for the Galaxy, Arkham Horror and Catan, all together for the price of one Space Hulk! And they play more then 2 players each. So, go ahead, tell me that I'm stupid and a looser and I don't know nothing about gaming and geekhood! Again, I'm sorry about this, but I just had to ask.

Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark camp
United States
Lesser Binghamton Area
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not a stupid loser, and there's no reason to call you one. You've just explained perfectly logical reasons why Space Hulk is not for you.

As for me, while I love Arkham Horror, and Power Grid, neither of those games let me kill Space Marines. None of them are as lavishly produced, and none of them have sweet minis. I have many, many games that I can play with my group, and I don't enjoy most of them as much as a good game of Space Hulk.

But, like everything on this site, it's all a matter of personal taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
marvac wrote:
I can't justify that much money for one game that's for only 2 players!

As any wargamer will tell you, most of the best gaming is done with only two players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
marvac wrote:
"Ever since I got Space Hulk, I lost 30 lbs."

Um... have you lifted that box? I'd say everyone who got Space Hulk gained 30 pounds!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, since I got Space Hulk, I got a promotion! So that extra money covers the monthly payments on painting supplies and extra termies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnylawless wrote:
marvac wrote:

As any abstract wargamer will tell you, most of the best gaming is done with only two players.

fixed that for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thijs Lauwbierkoffie
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
www.spellenclubapeldoorn.nl
badge
Kom spellen spelen bij de Spellenclub Apeldoorn!
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnylawless wrote:
marvac wrote:

As any wargamer will tell you, most of the best gaming is done with only two players.

Just like any abstract gamer. You dont even need a gamegroup for a 2 player game just a friend visiting or your wife, or your brother or your sister, or your daughter or your son, or your neighbour. Just 1 extra person. So you only have to torture and force 1 person to play a game. Ideal!

Besides that pure 2 player/teams games can be aggressive to the max, without a bash the leader problem.

2 player games are simply the best

(edit: just read the post before my post)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Riordan
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ask around your gaming group. Maybe one of them already has it. Or has 1st or 2nd edition.

Try it before you consider buying it. Especially if it isn't your normal type of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Schaub
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marvac wrote:
Now I know that this might tick some of you off, and maybe hate me but I have to ask. What's the big deal with Space Hulk (third edition)? I see all of these forums about Space Hulk this and Space Hulk that:

My 10 year old son was failing out of school. Until I got Space Hulk for him. Now within one year, he's teaching school!
If it wasn't for Space Hulk, I would be in prison now. Thank you Space Hulk making people

I will admit that the game looks interesting, but for the price, I do not think so! I can't justify that much money for one game that's for only 2 players! I have a gaming group and there's more than two players. I can take that money and get games like Power Grid, Race for the Galaxy, Arkham Horror and Catan, all together for the price of one Space Hulk! And they play more then 2 players each. So, go ahead, tell me that I'm stupid and a looser and I don't know nothing about gaming and geekhood! Again, I'm sorry about this, but I just had to ask.

Joe

100 clams is alot to drop on a single game, and while I can guarantee you that you'll get your money's worth in terms of components, the value of the gameplay is far more subjective, and I certainly wouldn't tell you to rush out and buy Space Hulk based on your other interests. I like Arkham Horror as much as Space Hulk (which of course means I've spent more than 100 bucks on Arkham as well), but the two are pretty dissimilar. I've been a 'Hulk fan since 1992 or so, and so this purchase was a no brainer for me.

On the other hand, I feel pretty safe assuming that the vast majority of users on this site probably spends well over 100 bucks on games each year, and so the financial commitment to Space Hulk is definitely something that can be planned for. Just put aside buying those other games that will definitely be available in 6 months for the same price (or cheaper on the used market)--this includes all the games you named--buy Space Hulk now, and if you hate it, you can re-sell it for AT LEAST as much as you paid for it, and get as many copies of RFTG as you want!

Something to think about--it's an excellent game.

R

Edited for grammar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Riordan
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, watch this video:
http://www.downtimetown.com/2009/09/11/downtimetown-episode-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juha Helin
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marvac wrote:
I will admit that the game looks interesting, but for the price, I do not think so! I can't justify that much money for one game that's for only 2 players!

Price of Space Hulk is not excessive in comparison with other games I have bought. Of course, I aim for quality instead of quantity.

To make my point, even Go with nice board and stones will cost you about the same or even more.

marvac wrote:
I have a gaming group and there's more than two players. I can take that money and get games like

Then you are advised to stay with multiplayer titles that make you happy - there is little doubt anyone will ever force you on a gunpoint to play SH or any other title you dislike. Of course, what is truely multiplayer game? I like to have them to be open ended, scaling up to tens of players.

Some of the greatest boardgames of all times are actually for two people - knowing from experience, building a good multiplayer game is very, very tough challenge and will never please everyone. One of the best achievements on this field has been "Whistling Death". Far from being balanced, even further from being mainstream, game has very well functioning multiplayer system with excellent player interaction.

But it's not about farming or trade. It's about teamwork. It's about fast decisions. In fact, it is teamwork and survival with dash of luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe, I'm probably worse than you.

I have never played Space Hulk. Two years ago, I managed to get a 2nd Edition copy from a member here, only it was in German. I purchased it solely on the basis of it's reputation. While my family is German, on my grandmother's side, I am not nearly fluent enough to process the rules and scenario guide. I found the English rules available for download somewhere, but not the scenario guide. So, my German version of the 2nd Edition, quite complete and brand new, has sat in my cupboard all this time. This was in my "collect everything" phase, the first two years or so since I really got into this hobby, so I accept it.

Two weeks ago, I walked into my FLGS to pick up an order and saw Space Hulk on the shelf. The owner had told me in an email that it had arrived, offering to reserve one for me, as he normally does with any new arrival (I spend far too much there). I told myself that I wasn't interested, that I didn't even like Games Workshop anymore (I sank a ton of money on their Lord of the Rings miniatures over the years), that I already had a copy of the game, and that I wasn't into painting miniatures anymore anyway.

Only, the good people here on BGG wouldn't let me forget it. Every time I dropped by, Space Hulk 3rd Edition was everywhere! At times, it seemed every image on the home page was for this game. And the comments, the love professed for the game, the mention of awesome components, the fantastic gameplay. The bastards! I decided that perhaps I should consider getting a copy, only now, of course, it was sold out.

Then, the owner of my FLGS emailed to let me know that he was coming through (he lives in another province, running the main store there) to do stock take, and asked if he could bring anything through for me. I asked if he perhaps had a copy of Space Hulk left. He did, just one, and said he would bring it through for me. So, in an hour or two, I am off to my FLGS to pick up the game, while still having no idea what it plays like, or if I will even like it. Futhermore, I can't even say that I can always sell it on if I don't like it, because this country has a very small gamer base. I would have to look long and hard to find a local buyer, and shipping costs to the rest of the world would be prohibitive.

So, Joe, if you're stupid and a loser for not seeing what's so great about this game, I must be something else, because I share your sentiment, yet I'm laying down the money for it anyway. I just hope it proves to be at least somewhat interesting, that my son will play it with me or, better yet, both. I mean, this many geeks can't be wrong, right?

Edit: I just got back to the office, after a quick trip to my FLGS to pick it up. I must say, going by the weight of the box, and the picture on the back (having it in your hands is not the same as seeing pictures here, not for me anyway), I don't think I'm going to be sorry. Yes, it's shallow to go on things like weight, but it does impress me (most likely because I am that shallow). I expect that, once I open the box and examine the contents, I will be even more happy (but perhaps a little daunted by the amount of painting required).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fuini
South Africa
Durban
KwaZulu Natal
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this OP really about SH, or do you just want to be called a stupid looser?

Im happy to respond either way...

Edit for spelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marvac wrote:

Joe

OK, I'll put on my "being a dick" costume again.

What do you want to hear that hasn't already been said in any of the dozen reviews or hundreds of threads? Do you want someone to convince you that this is all a hypa? Or do you want to see some as-yet-unmentioned arguments why this is a good game?

Yes, the game costs $100 ($150 for some of us). Yes, it is only for 2 players (although you can fit the 3rd one quite easily). It's too expensive for you and the 2-players-only design puts you off? Great, you solved your own problem. Move along, nothing to see here.

As for "stupid" and "loser", I don't get where you're coming from. Is this some sort of passive-aggresive way to proclaim that BGG is overrun by SH fanboys who insult everyone not worshipping their beloved game/deity? Cause then it's you who's wearing "being a dick" costume then, and I at least wear it with pride instead of hiding it under the trenchcoat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marvac wrote:
I have a gaming group and there's more than two players. I can take that money and get games like Power Grid, Race for the Galaxy, Arkham Horror and Catan, all together for the price of one Space Hulk! And they play more then 2 players each.

1) I'd like to know where you're going to get Power Grid, Settlers, Arkham Horror and RFTG for a hunnerd bucks?
If you say "At a games discounter, online" I say, "Good luck!" And I hope you enjoy playing games at someone's house and don't want a local store.

2) But for what its worth, if you're simply looking for economy, why not buy twenty or thirty decks of cards? You could outfit HUNDREDS of local players in everything they need to "game" until they die.

3) As a Settlers fan, I've spent easily more than a hundred dollars on Catan-stuff, what with 5-6 players and Seafarers and Cities and Knights. Did I spend too much?
I don't think so, Nosir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
myles
United States
Mustang
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD !!!
badge
100 geek gold and this is all I get? :p
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, this is my favorite game right now...perhaps ever, especially with this luxurious new edition. It improves on presentation, quality, art, sculpting, rules...everything.

I loved tactical squad based games on PC like X-Com and Laser Squad back in the day. This gives an even more tension filled experience than those PC games did, with even more flavor with the added fun of playing with friends.

I just played with a group this past weekend, and we easily fit in four players comfortably. Each player controlled either a squad of marines, or a blip of stealers. It was a great time.

It's a little sad seeing the Euro throng rushing to artificially down rate this very nice game without even trying it. It's like a cult mentality, really. I wish you had at least played this game before you rated it an artificial 1. cry If you could play a game with me, I think you would have fun.

Eventhough it's one of my favorites, I don't expect everyone to love it, much less buy it. You especially have to like direct conflict as this is one of the most in your face fights in a game. Someone who only likes economic engines, farming themes, and meeples will probably be put off. I'm lucky in that I enjoy ALL forms of gaming, both sedate, coop, and in your face cage fights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrique Canales
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You can buy all those games with the 100 bucks...but you'd still be missing Space Hulk, missing on an incredibly fun game.

See, with a million bucks you can hook up with a ton of skanks, or score one perfect babe. No brainer!

Buy a dozen Pintos, or one Beemer.

A score of plastic earrings or a diamond studded set.

So, in anything you can always buy a ton of things for a set amount of money or one great thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Uruisge
Scotland
flag msg tools
chansen2794 wrote:
marvac wrote:
"Ever since I got Space Hulk, I lost 30 lbs."

Um... have you lifted that box? I'd say everyone who got Space Hulk gained 30 pounds!

Well I lost 60 pounds, but that's a different type of pound.:laugh:

But I don't regret it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Then, the owner of my FLGS emailed to let me know that he was coming through (he lives in another province, running the main store there) to do stock take, and asked if he could bring anything through for me. I asked if he perhaps had a copy of Space Hulk left. He did, just one, and said he would bring it through for me.

Ah, so that's where the copy the guys behind the counter were supposed to be holding for me went cry But thankfully a second consignment was on its way

Tobold wrote:
Only, the good people here on BGG wouldn't let me forget it. Every time I dropped by, Space Hulk 3rd Edition was everywhere! At times, it seemed every image on the home page was for this game. And the comments, the love professed for the game, the mention of awesome components, the fantastic gameplay. The bastards! I decided that perhaps I should consider getting a copy, only now, of course, it was sold out.

Same here, except now I know where that last copy went ninja

The Warhammer stuff has never held much interest for me, but the more I read about how the Space Hulk game works, and the fact that it is self-contained, the more it sounded like just the sort of different game I should add to my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marvac wrote:
I will admit that the game looks interesting, but for the price, I do not think so! I can't justify that much money for one game that's for only 2 players! I have a gaming group and there's more than two players. I can take that money and get games like Power Grid, Race for the Galaxy, Arkham Horror and Catan, all together for the price of one Space Hulk! And they play more then 2 players each.

Well if those games are ones you don't have and would rather play, then they'd make better purchases. In my case Space Hulk was not much more than what Agricola cost and it is cheaper than Twilight Imperium. Only playing two is not a major drawback since there are plenty of good games that do, and I'll have ample opportunities to play it. I'll probably also try having two people playing the marines. In any case with my collection containing many games that actually feel similar in many ways having something totally different seemed like just the ticket.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, kaytel, did you get the game? Do you buy from the Cape Town store? I assume so, as you suspect the copy I got was supposed to be held behind the counter for you. It was brought up from Cape Town by Chris himself, when he came through for stock take, and delivered to me while he was here, so it was never waiting under the counter in the Jhb (Colony) store.

I have assembled the figures, but haven't played it yet. Frankly, the amount of painting required puts me off. I used to paint miniatures for the sake of it, never playing, just painting, but they were Games Workshops Lord of the Rings miniatures. These are bigger and don't appeal to me (read "intimidate me").

Curiously though, the unpainted figures put me off playing the game. So, it's sitting on my shelf, just like my German 2nd Edition copy, gathering dust. I have purchased so much from Wizards over the years that I think I'm now on "autopilot", just buying everything new that comes in. I always seem to have 10 or more items on order. At the moment, it's the Pandemic expansion, the 4 sets comprising wave 9 for HeroScape, the Krakow expansion (Chris will bring it back for me from Essen), Middle-Earth Quest, Neuroshima Hex - Babel 13, Race for the Galaxy - Rebel vs. Imperium, Kill Doctor Lucy, Ultimate Werewolf and BattleStar Galactica - Pegasus. I am forgetting some of them, but that's enough.

I need to sort that out. I really don't need that much. Well, except the HeroScape, of course, and Babel 13, the Krakow expansion, the... ah heck, I need most of them at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I picked up a copy this weekend. Have not had the time to extract the miniatures, and I doubt I'll be painting them as I have no experience/skill in that area, or really the time to spend on painting miniatures. Might dip them eventually though. I'm glad it's a quick game as that means the only thing standing between me and playing is getting to cutting out the models.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes, I see it says Cape Town when moving the mouse over your flag. Man, I'm envious! I was born there. I lived there until high school (I went to Rondebosch Prep). I have only been back once, for a holiday, and it was every bit as magical as I remembered it.

Cape Town is a very special part of the world. I would be doing everything in my power to move down there, if I hadn't gone through so much trouble already to get Australian residency. We're emigrating in the next few years, having got permanent residency and completed our activation trip in June this year.

I hope you enjoy the game. I think I will make the effort to play it soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fuini
South Africa
Durban
KwaZulu Natal
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this may make some of you cringe, but have you ever considered getting someone else to paint the models for you? We used to have a large WH40K club here in Durbs and there were a couple of guys who painted models for other members (and damn good job for a great price). The figures deserve a good paint job from what I have seen (my sister still has my SH III in the UK with her, waiting for a games mule!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no shame in it at all. It's only wrong if you claim the paint job as your own.

I've painted for money during times of unemployment. It helped pay for gigs...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.