Popular Tags: [View All]
Graeme Sharpe
Scotland
Dundee
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any appetite for this?

My grunt marines in 3rd Ed. Space Hulk seem to have much more detailed biogs than my 1st Ed. squads of old, who were facelessly fragged on many, many missions.

It could be interesting to give these guys small advantages/penalties based on their personalities eg.

Brother Deino
Marksman- Optional re-roll of one shooting dice per aimed bolter fire.
Highly Modified Bolter- Jams cost double to clear.

Brother Valencio
Impulsive- +1AP while Sgt.Lorenzo viable.
Raw- -1AP if Lorenzo becomes non-viable.

Brother Scipio
Fast Acting- 1 free personal CP per Stealer turn.
Taciturn- May not be issued with additional CP during Stealer turns.

Brother Noctis
Dependable Guard- Receives sustained-fire bonus during Overwatch.
Slow to react- Actions during Stealer turn cost double CP.

Brother Goriel
Brawler- Kill Stealer on close combat draw/may re-roll one stealer dice.
Blood Lust- May only be issued a maximum 1CP per Stealer turn.

Brother Omnio
Modified Auspex- Optional reveal blip within 5 squares per Marine turn.
Tech Reliant- Line of site limited to 12 squares for all shooting.

The Sergeants, Heavy Weapons guys, Librarian and Lightning Claws marine are all pretty interesting anyway.

Let me know what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren B.
msg tools
mbmb
I like your ideas.

Maybe Brother Omnio should be a little more limited, possible only a LOS of 8 or 10?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Nilsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
watery-bassman wrote:

Brother Deino

I considered giving him some special rules myself. What do you mean by "aimed bolter fire"? Anything but overwatch? In that case you could just as well give him three dice.

watery-bassman wrote:

Brother Noctis

Do you mean on the first shot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graeme Sharpe
Scotland
Dundee
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monstrum wrote:
watery-bassman wrote:

Brother Deino

I considered giving him some special rules myself. What do you mean by "aimed bolter fire"? Anything but overwatch? In that case you could just as well give him three dice.
watery-bassman wrote:

Brother Noctis

Do you mean on the first shot?

I was thinking that as a marksman Deino would probably not get any bonus for reflex, overwatch fire. Rather he would get a bonus for planned fire during the Marine turn.
Giving him 3 dice however, I like. Probably have to give him a bigger penalty for that kind of heavy-hitting.

For Noctis I reckoned that his overwatch should be more powerful and thought sustained fire bonus would be cool. I thought it would work best for second or subsequent overwatch shots against the same stealer. An alternative would be no jamming but I thought that would be too powerful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graeme Sharpe
Scotland
Dundee
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sorenbuus wrote:
I like your ideas.

Maybe Brother Omnio should be a little more limited, possible only a LOS of 8 or 10?

Agreed, I don't think this would make him too lame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Great minds thing alike.

Here is a link to my post for alternate powers for the marines (I have also posted different powers for stealers (under Variants), which could be used to offset the benefits gained from new marine powers).

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/444079

(By the way - you get sustained fire bonus in overwatch anyway, so your power for Noctis doesn't grant him a bonus of any kind.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Nilsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
watery-bassman wrote:

I was thinking that as a marksman Deino would probably not get any bonus for reflex, overwatch fire. Rather he would get a bonus for planned fire during the Marine turn.
Giving him 3 dice however, I like. Probably have to give him a bigger penalty for that kind of heavy-hitting.

Reroll of one die or 3 dice from the start should be equivalent, when shooting in the Marine turn. It's just faster to roll three at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monstrum wrote:
watery-bassman wrote:

Reroll of one die or 3 dice from the start should be equivalent, when shooting in the Marine turn. It's just faster to roll three at once.

It's not quite the same.

For example:

I am rolling 3 dice for shooting: I roll, 1, 1, and 6. I have killed my target, but my gun has jammed in the process.

Same situation with a reroll: I roll 1 and 1. I select a dice and reroll getting a 6. My final tally is a 1 and a 6. I have killed my target, and my gun did NOT jam.

My own choice for the marksman special ability was an improved sustained fire that caps at 4+ instead of 5+. This limits its usefulness (stealers will quickly learn to get the hell out of the marksman's LOS) while also being thematic (as he settles in and his targetting systems lock on, his aim is significantly better than the other marines).

A permanent reroll is very powerful, especially as it can be used to prevent jams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graeme Sharpe
Scotland
Dundee
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
Great minds thing alike. :)

Here is a link to my post for alternate powers for the marines (I have also posted different powers for stealers (under Variants), which could be used to offset the benefits gained from new marine powers).

(By the way - you get sustained fire bonus in overwatch anyway, so your power for Noctis doesn't grant him a bonus of any kind.)

Apologies for not finding your ideas before I posted. I like your ideas, and I take your point about Noctis. Wonder if your overwatch powers could be combined with the penalty I suggested to balance him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
watery-bassman wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
Great minds thing alike.

Apologies for not finding your ideas before I posted. I like your ideas, and I take your point about Noctis. Wonder if your overwatch powers could be combined with the penalty I suggested to balance him.

No apology necessary - I thought it was cool that other people were thinking up some cool abilities too.

A lot of your powers are different - and you went the extra mile to do a counterbalance negative power to offset the good stuff. I was having too much difficulty balancing a good and bad trait for each character while still making the marines useful, so I just stuck to the good stuff. I was also worried it might get too complicated having a negative ability each, which is why I came up with special abilities for the stealers in a different thread, so that both sides get an edge.

Now I am starting to wonder if there isn't some kind of campaign idea brewing here... Surviving marines get experience, which can be used to purchase upgrade special abilities (in keeping with their fluff)... something like that? Killed marines are not technically killed and can be used in susequent missions, but they do not get an upgrade, and they lose any upgrade they had. Something to make you think twice about whether or not to sacrifice a marine for the good of the team. Also makes you think about which marines you pick for your squad as they each have a different "career path."

Okay, now I am just rambling...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Nilsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
Monstrum wrote:

It's not quite the same.

For example:

I am rolling 3 dice for shooting: I roll, 1, 1, and 6. I have killed my target, but my gun has jammed in the process.

You never get a jam during the Space Marine turn, however, which is what we were talking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monstrum wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
Monstrum wrote:

It's not quite the same.

For example:

You never get a jam during the Space Marine turn, however, which is what we were talking about.

Oops - my bad. I misread the bit of your post about the bonus not applying in overwatch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdul Rahman Ibrahim
Malaysia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the campaign idea though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.