Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Per Sylvan
Sweden
STOCKHOLM
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
I find that Two Basic Quest and One Advanced Quest per Hero, is just a bit too meager for my blood.

I would like to see a variety of quests. Perhaps 5-6 Basic and 3-4 Advanced quests of the Heroes.

Anyone else let down about the Quest part of the game?
Anyone written their own Quests?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The quest situation in MEQ is crying out for an expansion. I also feel that the limited range of quests make the first turn or two for the heroes a done deal. It would be far more interesting to introduce extra and perhaps more difficult quests. I would like to see some quests that involved more than just visiting a particular region.

For example, a quest which requires the hero to find and slay an orc (or any other monster), in return for a reward might be good. The quest could also require that the Sauron player places x monsters on the board.

Another quest type could involve heroes bringing news from one region to another. For example, a hero may need to explore Erebor to receive the message and then go to Rivendell to gain a special reward.

At the moment, the starting quests are almost a formality, which is a shame. Otherwise, this game is a real treat and I can't wait to get it on the table for another go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Chamberlain
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was think that after completing the hero's Advance Quests there could be optional Expert Quests of a much tougher variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More quests will definitely be needed, but I've found the quests are really meant more as a distraction to what the heroes should really be doing.

Let me give a couple of examples:
- Beravor's quest to the Grey Havens takes her even further away from where the starting plots/action will be. If she succeeds in getting the boat, she can jump to Belfalas (I think?), but at the cost of three cards. If she moves to the GH and kills the Crebain on turn 1, she will be very short on cards on turn 2. Using nearly half her hand to power the boat is a steep cost. When I played her in my last game, I got bad luck fighting the Crebain and couldn't defeat it. I had to waste turn 2 to kill the damn birds and get my boat. It then took me so long to get to the Misty Mountains that Gothmog showed up and made that region of the board perilous. I got stuck with Wretched and other corruption, and couldn't help with plots/influence until the game was half over. Going after my starting and advanced plots really took Beravor out of the game.

- Eleanor's quest to explore Near Harad or fight The Black Serpent takes her into the only area of the board (near Bara-Dur) where locations can be made perilous for her (until Sauron extends well out from Bara-Dur). It seems to be better for Eleanor to avoid combat and Mordor/Gondor altogether and instead stay in the safer areas of the board, using her Fortitude and Wisdom to move quickly and safely around the board gathering favor and disrupting the northern influence chains.

I think if you look closer as some of the characters' starting quests, they are meant to delay the players' ability to disrupt Sauron's actions. It might be better to ignore your starting quest unless you just happen to be in the right location later in the game. Thalin did this in a 2-player game against me. Rather than spending tons of cards to cross the mountains to visit Dain II in The Norther Waste, he headed south right away. He eventually had to go to visit my northern stronghold in Phase III, and was able to complete his quest at that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game seems well received, based on FFG's record it seems like a sure thing there will be an expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I play as a hero, I only do the quests if it's convenient or my mission.

I have had several games end with a runaway victory by Sauron and the heroes crying they "didn't have enough time to stop the plots" when they spent 2-3 (or more) of their 9 total turns completing their characters' quests.

The longer you wait to stop any of Sauron's plots, including his starting one, the harder it will be. Having a boat or extra ability isn't going to help when the Mouth of Sauron moved onto the plot and three monsters (plus lots of influence) were put on that plot while you ran to get that little bonus.

MEQ isn't about personal quests. Those are one tool that is at the heroes' disposal to help to stop Sauron's plots. Try ignoring those sometime, when they aren't your mission, and see how much better the game goes for the heroes.

Edited because I mispelled "tool."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely.

Don't get completely sidetracked doing the quests. Sometimes they are necessary, sometimes they are worth the detour and sometimes they are essential. Otherwise, you are helping Sauron.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.