Subject: Stalemate in Hive. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.

Me and my friend played our first 3 games yesterday. Was a lot of fun finding more and more strategies as we were playing.

We ended up 1-1 after 2 games.

The third one, we played it ended as a stalemate. The way it worked out, I only needed one piece to win, but he had my spider pinned. He couldn't also surround my queeen with all his remaining piece since we were so much spread out, all our pieces were links.

I guess one way of making sure that doesn't happen is not to spread too much in 3 - 4 different single links. I was wondering though with people here having played a lot of game, are there a lot of draws?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
There are often ties in the sense of the game ending with both queen bees surrounded simultaneously. That has recently been addressed by an optional rule (implemented at boardspace.net) that you can't place the queen as your first piece - that keeps the queens from so easily sharing a common space, and it indeed seems to reduce ties in my experience.

Draws/stalemates in the sense of the game reaching a state where it will seemingly never finish due to pieces all being strung out and stuck and no one willing to free up some pieces for fear of giving the other player an advantage happen much less often in my experience, but certainly I've experienced them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luiz Flavio Ribeiro
Brazil
Pouso Alegre
MG
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
My numbers against human opponents at Boardspace.net are:

Before Queen opening prohibition - 37 draws in 291 games (12.71%)

After Queen opening prohibition - 7 draws in 162 games (4.32%)

I think they're not that often in both cases, but its clear that the queen opening prohibition prevents a lot of draws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.