Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Wene
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't appear that Doom is classified as a wargame. So, how is the distinction made? Does anybody really know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't a wargame. Where is it advertised as such?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexey Babaitsev
Russia
Moscow (Postal Code 115597)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk is at #1* at last!!!! W00t!!

*among wargames at BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this was scary. I took up the Wargame ranking and it showed ranks #2 and on. There was no #1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I noticed today... I guess it could be considered a wargame in some sense. Isn't Doom more about players controlling single characters? At least in SH each player controls a small "army" of sorts...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Wene wrote:
It doesn't appear that Doom is classified as a wargame. So, how is the distinction made? Does anybody really know?

Because now that the Eurogamers are adequately pissed, it is time to piss off the wargamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hurp
United Kingdom
Aldershot
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funnily enough, I'm using it as a gateway wargame. Couple of games of Space Hulk, and then I'll crack out Conflict of Heroes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why wouldn't it be a wargame?

A wargame is a type of game based on a fictional or non-fictional battle, war or conflict. Yes

The games involve players taking 2 sides,usually, in which one side is trying to defeat the other by means of destruction or a set objective, such as a tile locations, victory point goal or objective. Check.

Most games include military units, such as a soldiers, armored vehicles or other fictional units, like dragons, orcs or space marines. Space Marines, yep.

Other components can include armored vehicles, cannons, specialized elite units or even flying military units. Its got Librarian/heavy weapon specialized elite units.

A good portion of wargames are re-enactments of actual historic battles and can involve miniature units or tokens representing military units. And its only one game, so it doesn't have to be 'a good portion'.

Why not a wargame? (The question might very well be "what missing from the BGG wargame criteria).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see it classified as a wargame. It is categorized as a miniatures, fighting, science fiction game. But it would be #1 if it was a wargame, and the wargame #1 spot is missing. So who knows?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
Mike Wene wrote:

Because now that the Eurogamers are adequately pissed, it is time to piss off the wargamers.

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:

A wargame is a type of game based on a fictional or non-fictional battle, war or conflict. Yes

The games involve players taking 2 sides,usually, in which one side is trying to defeat the other by means of destruction or a set objective, such as a tile locations, victory point goal or objective. Check.

Most games include military units, such as a soldiers, armored vehicles or other fictional units, like dragons, orcs or space marines. Space Marines, yep.

Other components can include armored vehicles, cannons, specialized elite units or even flying military units. Its got Librarian/heavy weapon specialized elite units.

A good portion of wargames are re-enactments of actual historic battles and can involve miniature units or tokens representing military units. And its only one game, so it doesn't have to be 'a good portion'.

Why not a wargame? (The question might very well be "what missing from the BGG wargame criteria).

I have always thought of "wargame" to mean a simulation of a historical or hypothetical battle or campaign in the past, present, or very near future. Hypothetical being wars such as NATO vs Warsaw Pact, Operation Sealion, etc. Near future meaning conflicts which would largely be fought with current or near future weapons systems (no laser tanks, or flying suits).

Of course that is just me. I know that others make good points (such as your definition) on how best to categorize wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wene
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jackolantern wrote:
I don't see it classified as a wargame. It is categorized as a miniatures, fighting, science fiction game. But it would be #1 if it was a wargame, and the wargame #1 spot is missing. So who knows?

On the Space Hulk entry page it has listed at the top:
"Boardgame Rank: 7"
"Wargame Rank: 1"

If you click on the "1" it brings up the wargame ranking list and has Space Hulk at the top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wene
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:

Sorry, maybe I should have been more explicit with my question. Why is Space Hulk a wargame but Doom isn't?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
On BGG it is a wargame is the publisher designates it as such when the game is registered. End of story.

If you are asking whether it is a wargame in theory, that generally boils down to a matter of opinion.

I have a very broad definition of wargames. Why be exclusive in a subgenre of gaming that is already very tiny?

To me, a "wargame" is any game about armed conflict in any scale, any universe (real or imagined), and in any scope, even if only dealt with abstractly or tangentially. So, in my book, Space Hulk is a wargame. So is AT-43 and History of the World. So is Age of Empires. So is Doom.

After that broad definition, the issue is just about adding qualifiers:

"Historical wargame" - a game about armed conflict based on historical military engagements and/or closely-related hypothetical engagements in which a partial (or main) objective is to attempt to simulate one or more aspects of military conflict in a "realistic" way.

But that's just my take on it.

At the end of the day, it's generally a subjective issue.

I say generally. I don't think anyone would seriously argue that Powergrid is a wargame, and I doubt that anyone would seriously argue that Advanced Squad Leader isn't a wargame.

But when it comes to Space Hulk, you have as many opinions about it as people have a$$holes.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie secretly wants it to be #1 on both lists. It probably will be once it gets enough votes.

Space Hulk is going to draw 40K / miniatures gamers over into board gaming, just like it will draw some board gamers over into 40K land. Ultimately, it is going to be good for both hobbies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Moneta-Koehler
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:
On BGG it is a wargame is the publisher designates it as such when the game is registered. End of story.

Publishers generally don't add games to BGG, users do. Users select those parameters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wene
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hancock.tom wrote:
Aldie secretly wants it to be #1 on both lists. It probably will be once it gets enough votes.

Space Hulk is going to draw 40K / miniatures gamers over into board gaming, just like it will draw some board gamers over into 40K land. Ultimately, it is going to be good for both hobbies.

So Space Hulk is a gateway game!!!! (for 40k players)

That might stir the pot a little bit more. But, I like it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Wene wrote:
Sorry, maybe I should have been more explicit with my question. Why is Space Hulk a wargame but Doom isn't?

That is a good question. There are no real diiferences between them- alien races battling in the far-flung future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
In the future, there is only war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Space Hulk and Doom ,along with many other "fantasy" games, are not wargames.

Real afficionados of wargames would cringe at the thought that SH and Doom being called wargames.

Are these two games based on real wars and battles ? Well, I hope not.

Mind you there is a war going on here right now: SH gamers vs Non-SH gamers ! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:
Real afficionados of wargames would cringe at the thought that SH and Doom being called wargames.

Sadly enough, I've had people tell me in all seriousness that wargaming is defined as painted miniatures set up across a table, and that historical value has no bearing on the matter. When I argue the point, they will sometimes concede that it might just be how wargaming is defined in Great Britain.

So it always amuses me to come here and read the other side of the coin...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Historical value has nothing to do with being a wargame, or are Starship Troopers by the old AH and Bug Hunter Sniper!: Sniper! Companion Game #3 not wargames? They both look like classic hex-counter wargames if you ask me

Anyway, the difference between tactical dungeon crawlers like Doom or Descent and SH is that in SH each side actually controls an "army" of sorts. Doom and Descent seem to be more about controlling one character per player, like in an RPG...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:

The issue is subjective but I like the way these games are classified. I prefer the complexity (luck element?) of three or more players so I generally avoid "war games."

I think of war games as two player games. Space Hulk is. Doom is not.

Of course, many two player games are not war games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Wene wrote:

I wonder what it's party game rank might be ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wene
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
Mike Wene wrote:

I wonder what it's party game rank might be ...

Well, if you believe the conspiracy theories, it will soon be #1 on the Party Game ranking as well....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.