Glenn Pruitt
United States
waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played through a single campaign with my wife last night. I was Lancaster and she was York. I started the game with a 13AP deal and called for a mulligan. She kept her hand, while I dealt myself an even worse hand - 10AP total.

My first card was muster, so I concentrated some forces in Oxford. Then the Yorkists landed in force in London and Kent, and also raised the London levy. For the second round I played the Plague card on the five blocks in London, then the Yorkists moved into Oxford and proceeded to pummel my forces. Henry and company ran from the battlefield and holed up in Salisbury.

During the next few turns my wife did a bit too much recruiting and maneuvering instead of going for the jugular. She allowed me to move to Kent, and from there I set sail for Northumbria. I did manage to recruit some of my bigger northern nobles while she tracked down and killed several of my nobles in Cornwall and Wales.

By the end of the campaign I had lost the Duke of Exeter and four "Rose" nobles. Yet I did manage to tie her for Usurpation purposes and thus barely hold on to the crown.

If we had a better grasp on the play of the game she would certainly have seized the crown. My impression of the game is very high, I love the graphics - they remind me of Kingmaker. Richard III plays very nicely and I look forward to getting more familiar with the game, and delving into some deeper strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:
She kept her hand, while I dealt myself an even worse hand - 10AP total.

Beautiful

How long did your first play of the game take?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Pruitt
United States
waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
citizen k wrote:

How long did your first play of the game take?

Thanks.

We played for about two hours - but we played very slowly and had to put the kids back to bed a few times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Understood, and thanks for the caveats. They tells me our first play should clock in at ... 2 hours as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Pruitt
United States
waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me be clear...we only played one campaign. A full game consists of three campaigns. So if we played faster and didn't have so many interruptions, I would think that three hours for all three campaigns would be about right for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Ahhh, OK. Still it sounds like the "campaign" structure lets you scale the game length to fit your time budget. Say you only have time for one or two campaigns. Does that sound reasonable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got done playing the game twice, went the full 3 campaigns on both. Took us 2 hours both times. The first time would have taken longer if we played it right, but we screwed up and didn't replenish strength after each campaign so obviously nobles were dropping like flies. Only took that long because we were reading the rules as we went.

We played correctly the second game and it still took 2 hours, which wasn't bad. I think the only rule we got wrong was the forced march, and in our case it was used in legal 3 move areas anyway so it didn't cause a problem.

As far as scaling it down, I don't think the game would feel right without the 3 campaigns. It really starts picking up in the 2nd and third.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Played the game twice today. Our first game took 4 hours and the second one 2 hours and 45 minutes. Rules are simpler than HotS and/or Crusader Rex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.