Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander E. Stevens
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone recommend books, magazines/journals, or online reading which discusses intermediate to complex strategy and theory regarding Mahjong? I'm primarily interested in the Japanese Riichi and Korean rules, but I'd be eager to read up on any major rulesets other than American variations (which aren't to my taste.)

The only books I've personally been able to find are of the beginner variety, or regard American rules. This makes sense, living in the United States, but none the less provides an obstacle for someone such as myself looking to better understand some of the finer points in playing the game.

Actually playing the game would be great, but that's even harder to accomplish =P I'm aware of online avenues, but I don't often feel I get much feedback from people in those situations, be it the good ol' language barrier or just general internet induced reservation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
www.sloperama.com

Everything you need to know, though it might be a little overwhelming at first. FAQ 11, 10 and 2 (in that order) should be a good starting point for you.
quantumplation wrote:
Can anyone recommend books, magazines/journals, or online reading which discusses intermediate to complex strategy and theory regarding Mahjong? I'm primarily interested in the Japanese Riichi and Korean rules, but I'd be eager to read up on any major rulesets other than American variations (which aren't to my taste.)

The only books I've personally been able to find are of the beginner variety, or regard American rules. This makes sense, living in the United States, but none the less provides an obstacle for someone such as myself looking to better understand some of the finer points in playing the game.

Actually playing the game would be great, but that's even harder to accomplish =P I'm aware of online avenues, but I don't often feel I get much feedback from people in those situations, be it the good ol' language barrier or just general internet induced reservation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Harju
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how relevant these might be, but I found these to be good reading.

Wait reading
Betaori and Suji
Kabe, Saki-giri, and Dama-ten

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander E. Stevens
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent stuff, definitely what I'm looking for. Many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.