Popular Tags: [View All]
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for players in my WW2 man to man email wargame.
A turn a day, but a turn will only take you about 5 minutes or less to complete. In return I will send back a map of what you can see and what you can hear.

The next game is due to start October 9th, and will probably last about 6 weeks. If you are interested please send me a geekmail
I will be away for a week but I will be in contact with those expressing an interest when I return.

The scenarios I make are often a little unusual and are often not a scenario that can be used in a normal wargame.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this like a RPG or mud type thing? Are there rules or a game listed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with fellow Canuck Dustin. Kinda sound interesting but I need a few more details before committing even those five minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, tell us more, please!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OK here is a bit more information. The rules are my own rules but the basis of them are modified from Ambush!. The rules then had to be adapted to suit a double blind game. The majority of the rules are hidden, you will be supplied with a Terrain Effects Chart and a map of the area you can see and anything you can hear, gunfire, creaking floorboards etc. The game is not an RPG but your own personality as a player is shown through your character. You will be supplied with a set of player aids which will tell you how to move, the types of firing you can utilise and any other actions you may want to carry out. The game utilises an Action Point system and it is up to you how you spend these points each turn. LOS is NOT reciprocal ie if A can see B it does not mean B can see A and the amount of time spent spotting also plays a factor in determining LOS.

I think the above still seems a little vague, so I am going to post the player aids in here. Due to time restrictions I may not be able to include diagrams in these examples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Firing and Assault Player Aid Sheet

There are several different types of fire Actions in the game. Here is a list of all of them

1) Aimed Fire
2) Snap Fire
3) Suppressive Fire
4) Opportunity Aimed Fire
5) Opportunity Snap Fire
6) Assault Combat
7) Grenade Attacks

Each type of attack has its advantages and disadvantages

Aimed Fire – Aimed fire has a better chance of hitting the target but the fire hits at the end of the 4th AP after the order is given, so plenty of time for the target to disappear or get in a shot first. When ordering Aimed Fire I need to know
Type of fire (Aimed)
Target if more than one
If you still wish to fire if target moves into cover

Snap Fire – Snap fire hits 2APs after the order has been given but is less accurate. It is possible to order 2 snap fire shots, one after the other in the same turn. It is possible that 2 different Targets may be fired upon. When ordering Snap Fire I need to know
Type of fire (Snap)
Target if more than one
If you still wish to fire if target moves into cover
If 2 Snap fire actions are used in the same turn then I need to have 2 separate Snap Fire orders with the above info.

Suppressive Fire – This is used by SMGs, LMGs and HMGs only. This type of fire covers an area, it is kept to a small area to stop these weapons from dominating the game. Suppressive fire will affect more soldiers but will tend to panic them rather than wound or kill them. Suppressive fire, fires at the end of the 3rd AP after it is ordered and will affect friendly and enemy units. When ordering Suppressive fire I need to know
Type of fire (Suppressive)
The one or two numerical direction of the hex fired towards. (See the Supp Fire chart which is only given when necessary).

Opportunity Aimed Fire – Used to cover an area and only fire at targets when they come into LOS. The target must be in your vision for 5APs at which time you will automatically fire at it with aimed fire. The only area that may be targeted for Opportunity Aimed Fire is that within your LOS facing. When ordering Opportunity Aimed Fire I need to know
The type of fire only, your man will stay in this “overwatch” mode until you move him or change his facing.

Opportunity Snap Fire – This type of fire can be used to cover an area where a suspected enemy may appear during this or the next turn and you need a quick reply. Opportunity Snap Fire will be ready 2APs after you have ordered it, but there will be a slight delay as you have to be sure the target is enemy before firing so is not as fast as conventional snap firing but as it happens anywhere in a turn is extremely useful. Any target moving into LOS of your facing at the end of the 2APs will be targeted. You can stay in Opportunity Snap Fire as long as you wish.

Assault Combat –also known as Hand to Hand combat or Melee. This can be used when close to an enemy to attack him without using ammo. It is also a useful way of keeping close to an enemy as Assault combat may be ordered even when you know you cannot reach the enemy due to distance. It will then be similar to a “Follow” order (see movement) but be careful a cunning enemy can use your follow order to his advantage. Assault Combat is more successful the longer you are actually assaulting. Friendly soldiers may not fire at a target that you are assaulting. They may however be in the same hex and fire while you are assaulting.
When ordering assault combat I need to know
Type of combat i.e. Assault combat
Target if more than one

Grenade Attacks – Grenades can be thrown a maximum of 6 hexes unless wounded then it is 4 hexes. Grenades cost 2APs so you may throw 2 grenades if you like and these may be at different targets too. Grenades always explode but they may miss the hex they were aimed for and may even overshoot up to 7 hexes from the thrower. Grenades may be thrown into a hex that the thrower cannot see and are probably best against static targets and those defending. You can’t beat a grenade thrown through a window huh!

Firing at soldiers you cannot see – It is allowed to target an enemy soldier that was previously in your LOS but because you have moved is now out of your LOS, but the target must not have moved from the hex or gone into a defensive pose within the hex while out of your LOS. If he does then another sighting has to be made and it depends on the result of this sighting as to whether the target is viable for shooting at.

NB Assault attacks happen near the end of the AP that you enter the enemies hex

Opportunity fire actions are the only 2 actions that may be carried over to the following turn

NB The above are the basic order of combat, there are several factors that have to be included that may change the order in certain circumstances. The biggest of these factors is being wounded. Being wounded has been made easier by letting you move 2APs only rather than doubling all AP costs i.e. A wounded soldier that snap fires would hit on the 4th AP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
General Notes Player Aid

The game uses Action Points (APs) as its “currency” APs can be used to do anything you like and the usual amount of APs per turn is 4. Each turn you will send in your orders for your player and I will return a LOS Map, this will have whatever you can see, not only terrain but other players both friendly and enemy and you can also read what you can hear, sometimes a very important box indeed. Study your map and return your orders by email no later than 7pm GMT time. Some slight delays will be tolerated but there is no guarantee that I will carry out orders submitted later than 7pm (19.00) GMT.

Here are some notes that may help in making your orders

Initiative – Your Initiative is the way you react to events, a higher Initiative is better and it may make the difference between you getting in the first shot against an enemy.

Weapon Skill – A higher weapon skill means your shooting is more accurate and your general combat is better

Assault Combat Skill – How good you are at hand to hand combat

Facing – Facing is the way you are generally looking. It is expected that your man is fully alert and is looking in a 360 degrees angle but he is more aware of what is going on in the direction of his facing. Facing can strongly determine who you see. It is possible to see someone who cannot see you even at very close ranges. It has been known for someone to be stood in the next hex to a soldier who has not been spotted. Of course the right conditions have to of been met for this to of occurred.

Defensive Pose – Def Pose is making the best use of your hex to defend yourself. This could be going prone in an open hex, leaning against the edge of a door or window in a building hex or hiding behind a large log in a wood hex. It gives you a better defensive factor against fire. It costs half an AP to go into Def Pose but you leave Def Pose if you move (change of facing isn’t classed as moving).

Reloading costs 2APs

Giving items such as ammo, weapons, cups of tea (British) cost 1AP per item

Communications – It is possible to communicate with other players via the GM as if you were talking soldier to soldier. If you are in the same hex then you may whisper to each other. These whispers are free but the whisper will be communicated via the receivers LOS Map so there will be a delay in getting answers back. If you have LOS with someone then you can give them hand signals. These cost 1AP for both the sender and the receiver. You may shout to each other even if you do not have LOS but these shouts can be heard further than your shouting and maybe picked up by enemy soldiers.

Conditional Orders – It is possible for you to give me conditional orders where the rules may not be able to cover, for example “I want to wait until this US soldier leaves the road before I fire at him, as soon as he leaves the road I wish to fire at him using Aimed fire”. This is ok but you must target the soldier for the entire time until you fire.
Conditional Orders are always at my discretion but I am a pretty amiable guy.

Length of turns – Each turn is approx. 12 seconds long and each AP is roughly 3 seconds. The game is played in turns but treated as much as possible like one rolling game without breaks. LOS is given on what you see at the end of your turn but most other events occur mid turn and even mid AP. For example Snap Firing alone has 45 different time segments that it can be fired in and that is if the order was given at the same time. For this reason it is important that the order in which you do actions is clear. Firing your rifle snap fire then going into Def Pose can bring different results than going into Def Pose then snap firing. Another point is that if you move 4APs and finish next to a window for example, your LOS map may not show any enemy forces when there are some there, the reason for this is because the very little time you spent at the window, possibly less than 1 second, you are not going to spot much in that time. Take the trouble to spend another turn just looking and see what you see before making a decision.

Peeping – It is possible for soldiers to peep around a corner without actually moving into a hex which would allow you to see around the corner. A peep action will cost 1AP but you may string together as many peep actions as you wish. As per normal LOS rules the longer you spend looking at an area the more likely you are of spotting units. As LOS is only given at the end of each turn and in effect you may not of left the original hex your LOS map may not show what you have seen. I will give you info on what you have seen. It is also possible to give me an order like "peep east along the road if clear move 1, move 1, if not clear then defensive pose"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Movement – Player Aid Sheet

Movement orders are given as a number relating to one of the 6 hex sides. The same numbers always represent the same side.

A soldier usually has 4 Action Points (APs) per turn, this can be increased to 5APs by an officer urging his men on and also decreased by being wounded or panicking.
Each hex has a movement cost and some hex sides have a cost which has to be added to the cost of the hex. A list of all these costs can be found on the APs sheet.

A new movement Action is “Follow” This action is used to follow friendly soldiers and it is also useful when friendly soldiers are in close proximity and wish to be in the same hex, maybe to pass messages swap weapons etc.

2 German soldiers wish to meet in a hex to discuss their next move, but it is easy with just a plain move order to miss each other, so if either one or both give a Follow order they will meet in the same hex if there are enough APs to do this. The amount of APs given to this will depend how far each travels to meet up. If there is more than one possible meeting hex then the hex which grants the best cover will be used.
Assault Combat is a similar order but against enemy soldiers and if you end in the same hex as the soldier you will attempt to you use hand to hand combat with him. An Assault combat action will attempt to follow the enemy soldier too.
When using a Follow order please say which soldier you wish to follow if there is more than one visible soldier to you.

When you receive your LOS Map you will only be able to see what is visible to your character. On the AP sheet it will tell you if the terrain is blocking, degrading or has no effect. It is possible to move out of your LOS but may also be deemed tactically dangerous. When moving out of LOS give me the numerical direction as normal and I will test to see if you have enough APs to move into the unseen hex, if you have then you will be placed into the new hex, if you do not then you will stop in the hex that you moved into. Assault Combat and Follow orders may cause you to move out of your normal LOS too.

Here is the LOS Map for this US soldier. He wants to evacuate the building quickly so must take a chance and move into a hex he cannot see. He wants to leave on the Southern side (bottom) so makes a movement of 6 cost 1, movement 2 cost ? and movement 2 cost ? The soldier does not realise that there is a bush just outside the window in direction 2 so he has enough APs to move into the bush but no further

Do Nothing - The game is split into turns so we can manage it easily but I split the game further down into APs and even the APs can be further split into “segments” to see who fires first, when a grenade actually explodes etc, so it may be advantageous during a turn to give a do nothing action followed by another action. The only scenario I can think where this may be useful is to allow an enemy soldier to pass by before you Follow or shoot at him or move across a road or let him get nearer before you fire etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it sounds interesting. Can we give it a trial for a week or something.. say monday-thursday or friday to trial it before commiting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ramkitty wrote:
it sounds interesting. Can we give it a trial for a week or something.. say monday-thursday or friday to trial it before commiting?

After careful consideration I have decided that a trial version of the game might be a good idea to run with all the new players. As I am away this week, it will have to wait until next week. The trial version also means I can land players into the middle of a scenario and straight into the action. Sometimes, depending on the players actions you might not see the enemy until a week or so into the game. If anyone is interested in a trial version could you please geekmail me by next Friday 2nd October. Those players that have already geekmailed me will automatically be included in the trial version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it does sound interesting. Do you still need us to send a geekmail to confirm?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes he still needs the geekmail.. he is a way for a week so he will likly not respond until friday (I believe that is what he said)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.