United States
La Crosse
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Papa was a rollin' stone...
mbmbmbmbmb
THIS CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED.

I want to say a hearty thank you to everyone who entered. I received lots of entries, and most of them were 5 for 5! Were the clues too easy? If I do this again in the future, would you want to see harder clues? Let me know what you thought of the contest (some of you already have, via your answer GeekMails) so I can make the next one even better

The Challenge

Answer all of the clues below with the correct answers. Each clue will give you the name of a single game. You can find all 5 of the games among the top 100 games on BGG (based on Board Game Rank).

See the list here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgame

These clues are not necessarily referring to the content of a game, its package design, component art, or any other properties of the game aside from its title. This is a word game, and colloquialisms, slang, and vernacular are fair play, so get out your lateral thinking cap and dig in!

To get an idea of what I'm looking for, here's a sample...

Clue: When the Pillsbury mascot needs some dirty work done, he doesn't do it himself. He's got other people to do that so he doesn't have to. So who does he send to do it for him?
Answer: Dough minion (Dominion, ranked #7)

How to Win
All you need is 1 correct answer to get in the running. The more you can answer correctly the better, however. Once the contest is done (see deadline below), I will take all of those who got all 5 correct, and draw from among them for the final winner using random.org.

If no one gets all 5 correct, I'll go from the group that gets 4 correct, and so on down the line. If at some point I find that there's only 1 person who got the most correct, that person will automatically win the prize.

The Prize
The winner will receive 120 ! For the record, that's enough for a newbie to purchase an Avatar, GeekBadge, and 5 MicroBadges, so this is a great chance to personalize your user profile. If you've already got that profile stuff handled, I'm sure you could find a good use for 120 ...

How to Enter
Send me a GeekMail message with your answers, and use a subject line of "Gamebusters answers" (or something to that effect that lets me know it's a contest entry). That's all it takes.

Deadline to Enter
I will accept entries until roughly midnight, Friday, October 2, 2009. I will spend Saturday culling the list and generating the pool of those eligible to win the prize. I will post that list, the final winner, and all 5 correct answers on Saturday, October 3, 2009.

Now, for the important part...

The Clues (with answers now added)

1) Andy is working in a large bread factory, and falls into one of the large mixers while trying to empty it (it's done mixing, so he's safe, but the bowl is full to the top). He requires your help to get out. What does he call out to you to ask for help?

"In dough, need ya!" (#81, Indonesia)

2) After she finished her beer at the pub, Jenny started stacking tiny bricks neatly inside the empty mug. What was she building?

"Wall in stein" (#45, Wallenstein (first edition))

3) That frog fell into our well, and now it's making an awful lot of noise. What's it doing?

"Croak in hole" (#41, Crokinole)

4) A bunch of people got together and started a group for people who enjoy making noises in unison. What group did they start?

"A choir" (#62, Acquire)

5) Bonnie got a flat tire and had to pull off to the side of the road to fix it. When she looked in her trunk, she couldn't find one of the tools she needed. She wished she hadn't loaned it to a friend earlier that day. How did she feel about the missing tool?

"Missed her jack" (#90, Mr. Jack)

RESULTS

Well, the contest ended up with 23 entries getting 5 out of 5 correct. After assigning each a number, I cruised out to random.org, and generated a number from 1 to 23. And the winner is...

Andrew Bayley
England
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Congratulations, Ashtaur! 120 will arrive momentarily!

[Edit: closed the contest and added results]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mirkes
United States
La Crosse
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and by the way, if you like this thread, and please give it a thumbs-up or a comment to help it stay on the front page.

Thanks very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
very manly muppet
badge
muppet of a man
mbmbmbmbmb
If I help it stay on the front page, won't that just encourage more competition?

Oops, too late...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W*m L**naerts
Belgium
Beerse
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the example clue, wasn't exactly sure I understood it all correctly.
I haven't had any 'Eureka'-moments yet but I'll keep checking this thread, you never know. Hopefully my English is good enough for a 'word game' like this...
I do love 'quizzes' like this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this. I'm pretty certain I got 4 of them and 90% sure of one of them.

How about just wrapping the contest up now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this... it was fun. I'm feeling good about my answers. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Niemann
Germany
Hagen a.T.W.
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
www.spielträumer.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the contest! I had a great time solving your riddles!

Daniel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mirkes
United States
La Crosse
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for all your entries, thumbs, and replies so far. Only 3 more days to enter, and then you all get to check your answers and perhaps find yourself a few bag richer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, who won?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mirkes
United States
La Crosse
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can see the correct answers and the results at the end of the OP above.

Andrew Bayley
England
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

won this contest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W*m L**naerts
Belgium
Beerse
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a cool contest.
I only found 'Crokinole' (what a revelation when I finally figured that out :D), but I think my English was indeed not good enough. A Jack? Never would a guessed that...
And Indonesia? How the hell could 23 people find that?!
But again: fun contest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
More, please! And a microbadge!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mirkes
United States
La Crosse
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to run another Gamebusters contest! I'm somewhat staggered by the response I got to this one, so rest assured there's another one in the pipeline. I'll probably do this as a bi-weekly thing if I can manage it; at the very least there will be one a month.

I just need to figure out a good prize/set of prizes, as a small pile of is going to be a hard prize to maintain (at least for me), especially if I can swing these bi-weekly. The next one will probably be for again, but I'll likely switch to games, gift certificates for Thought Hammer or Tanga, or something like that.

Any suggestions? I'd love to make this a regular contest, and although I know it's not necessary, I'd also like to have there be some sort of prize. Just seems fair for people taking their time to participate, you know?

And as to a microbadge, I think I'll look into that. I've never designed one before, but it seems to me like it would be a cool idea to have one for the participants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mirkes
United States
La Crosse
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamebusters II is now posted!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.