United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This continues my original version, here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/442019

I'm documenting the entire game from the perspective of a first-time player of the game, in the role of Austria.

AUSTRIA+IMPERIAL ARMY - TURN 2
AUSTRIAN DRAW: 10c, 12c, 13c, 8d, 12d (other holdings: 5c, 7c, 11c, 5h, 7h)
IMPERIAL ARMY DRAW: 10d (other holdings: 8c)

Jackpot! I now know that I can crush Frederick in clubs. It is mathematically impossible that he can defeat me in a battle where army strength is even remotely close. Of course, for that very reason he will ostensibly bend over backwards to avoid conflict in clubs. How do I exploit this?

Decisions, decisions! My sole experience with this game is watching the final games from the first three World Championships. In those, there was a pattern of the Austrians keeping their armies in stacks and attacking very cautiously. I think I will attempt the opposite, splitting my armies and being much more aggressive.

To Prussia's credit, he has put together a formidable defensive net. His presence in Strehlen protects a whopping 9 objectives! It is clear he will need to be removed. But when? I have not a single spade! In the middle, Friedrich protects five more objectives, not to mention two more of the Imperial Army. With Heinrich in reserve he is also defending in depth, a strategy almost 200 years before its time.

In the west, I order the supply train from Leitmeritz to Tetschen, where it may shortly be ordered in support of von Lacy or my primary thrust. The other supply train, to the south, I order from Brod to Truebau. I am a little concerned it will quickly fall behind any potential eastern advance thus slowing down my operations.

In order to practice some deception, I want to offer him combat in clubs without actually seeming to be intentionally offering him combat in clubs. This strategy will help drive the bulk of my moves. Thus I slide von Laudon from Troppau to Gleiwitz, taking Cosel in the process (our first conquest!). This looks like I simply want the objective and the main road, not just clubs. Von Daun is a trickier matter. I do not want to get him into range of von Schwerin and/or Keith yet unless it is definitely in clubs. But I also don't want to be passive. Let me take a chance and offer Prussia diamonds, forcing him to be aggressive and also potentially weaken the suit of Friedrich and von Winterfeldt's central defense. This also takes advantage of my decent diamonds draw this turn. Sternberg to Neisse will be the move. It could be disastrous if he comes at me hard, but I will gamble he thinks I'm trying to trap him and stays away.

What of Browne and von Lothringen? I want to split them up and offer clubs in both east and west. With this in mind I order von Lohringen in Friedland to Hirschberg and von Browne from Friedland to Loewenberg. This will keep me in clubs without seeming like I am trying to intentionally stay in clubs. I can still surround Strehlen in the next season as well as attack Heinrich if I might choose. The question is, what will he credit my move choice to: savvy play or clumsily remaining in clubs? I suppose these things might not be mutually exclusive.

While I like my moves tactically, strategically I worry a little. The aggression and pressure I am showing will certainly cause Heinrich to commit south - or at least not start heading north - and bring more resistance against me. However, considering the length of the game, barring a total catastrophe I might get lucky and he routs a general or two now, shifts to the north with my attacking might neutered, and I can then bring back a stronger force while the bulk of his army is occupied elsewhere. It sounds good in theory!

For the Imperial Army, my intent is simply to avoid disaster and start quietly accumulating centers. By moving von Hildburghausen from Poessneck to Zwickau I capture my first objective and stay safe. Sliding the supply cart from Kulmbach to Plauen also has the benefit of making my lines tight and enabling the army to advance more quickly later. This feels like a really nice move.

Alright - offering Prussia battle in diamonds and clubs! Lets see what happens...

FRANCE - TURN 2
FRENCH DRAW: 3 Cards (6 Cards total)

Well, France is doing her part by pushing north, putting on the most pressure possible. The game seems to constrain the speed of their growth because of the western-most supply train which is about to fall behind the armies. If France is going to move aggressively, these seem like perfectly sound moves to do so. I might have moved de Soubise farther north to Northeim, however - unless he's teeing up for an attack of Cumberland next turn!

BETWEEN TURNS 2 & 3

Seeing how this plays out a little, I think I would enjoy playing Prussia: to some degree the allies have a pretty straightforward task: press, press, press. Prussia must make difficult choices and maneuver with great care. It seems a more challenging side to play, and I suspect that the skill of the Prussian player is generally the determining factor for who wins except at the highest levels of play.

PRUSSIA+HANNOVER - TURN 3
PRUSSIA DRAW: 7 cards, 20 cards total
HANNOVER DRAW: 2 cards, 6 cards total

I'm loving Prussia's move! The biggest excitement is in the east, where he is aggressively striding into my powerful clubs. Heinrich committed from his reserve position in an attempt to trap and eliminate von Browne, yet there is no possible way he can beat my clubs so the battle will end badly for him, the question is just: how badly? I'm guessing he is holding a few Reserves. Keith's move to push the front south will end up being a mess, because I will certainly attack him with von Laudon in just a moment. Von Schwerin's tactical move north will force me into spades if I choose to fight, but I can worry about the implications of that once I strike.

In the center, only von Winterfeldt has moved as he took a powerful eastern approach. This also puts him into clubs, and potentially at the mercy of von Hildburghausen! Ah, if only I were so lucky as to draw one...more...club into the Imperial Army next turn! Meanwhile Friedrich, von Seydlitz and von Dohna maintain their smart strategic positions, while von Lehwaldt retreats to Tapiau. He is still fliipped out of supply but I expect he should be in.

Now: the Battle for Loewenberg! Von Browne will certainly bloody sweet Heinrich!

Heinrich - 3 armies (army destroyed)
Von Browne - 3 armies
Heinrich 9c, von Browne 10c, Heinrich 4c, von Browne 13c, Heinrich 11c, von Browne 11c; no response Heinrich is removed

The good news: Heinrich is destroyed and if Prussia is not completely out of clubs they are nearly out. The bad news: he had about as many clubs as could be reasonably expected - without playing a single Reserve, curiously - and suddenly my tall stacks have shrunk. I think that, if possible, I need to drain my clubs with some thundering attacks this turn!

As for Hannover, it appears that a very defensive position is being taken. With Cumberland moving well south of the northern-moving French into diamonds and Ferdinand in the north not moving from his strategic hearts location I suspect this positioning is foreshadowing the Hannoverian hand.

RUSSIA+SWEDEN - TURN 3
RUSSIA DRAW: 4 cards, 12 total
SWEDEN DRAW: 1 card, 3 total

Well, Russia is showing her dearth of clubs by by keeping Saltikov stoically - and safely - entrenched in Zlotow. Fermor's move west should compel Heinrich to swing north and east when he is brought back to bear. The continuing campaign in East Prussia is the most the Russian can hope for at the moment.

Sweden went back and picked up Pritzwalk; I must assume it was simply an error that he did not last turn as this really slows down his advance.

Next time: The Battles of Austrian Aggression!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hecker
Australia
Kallista, jewel of the Dandenongs
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dknemeyer wrote:
This continues my original version, here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/442019

Again, comments from the Russian/Swedish player:

dknemeyer wrote:
The good news: Heinrich is destroyed and if Prussia is not completely out of clubs they are nearly out. The bad news: he had about as many clubs as could be reasonably expected - without playing a single Reserve, curiously - and suddenly my tall stacks have shrunk. I think that, if possible, I need to drain my clubs with some thundering attacks this turn!

I appreciated the strong Austrian attacks early on, as they kept Prussia focussed to the south. On the other hand, Austria is the counterbalance to Prussia and an overly weak Austria means there is spare strength to divert to the east. And that would be bad.

dknemeyer wrote:
Saltikov stoically - and safely - entrenched in Zlotow. Fermor's move west should compel Heinrich to swing north and east when he is brought back to bear. The continuing campaign in East Prussia is the most the Russian can hope for at the moment.

Saltikov remains as a lure, wriggling a bit to see how Prussia reacts especially in the light of Austrian aggression. This was a second turn in which the Prussian chose to take a defensive formation. While the main Russian force is in the east, I cannot launch a sustained attack with this single Russian army and the Swedes. I may win a bit, but even with a massive effort that eliminates Heinrich, Berlin is just too near and he will regenerate and resupply.

Fermor's move west is a reflection that Lehwalt moved into spades and I did not need a third general to back up any weakness in -- actually, at the time, complete lack of -- hearts. The sooner I can get a force to the west, the sooner the serious work can begin.

dknemeyer wrote:
Sweden went back and picked up Pritzwalk; I must assume it was simply an error that he did not last turn as this really slows down his advance.

Bit of everything. Change of plan about a move on Berlin, and more time to grow a good hand. Again, until Russia is able to move on Kammin or Neumark, Sweden has to stay out of the way. Once Russia engages Prussia, then Ehrenvard can have some fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.