Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Lam
United States
Newcastle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi,

Some rumors like Southside Strangler Strikes requires you to perform an action/discard something during the Arkham Encounter Phase in a location.

Do you still get an encounter if you are inside a location?

If so, which happens first? Encounter or voluntary discard?

thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure the rumor resolution is done instead of a regular encounter, but I'm not 100% positive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Going from memory, I think most of the rumors like this have you perform in the streets - which means you wouldn't be getting an encounter anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Going from memory, I think most of the rumors like this have you perform in the streets - which means you wouldn't be getting an encounter anyway.
I thought so too, but I think there are a couple that have you do something in a location too. I'm remembering one involving Ma's Boarding House maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lam
United States
Newcastle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

That's true. So is there a typo on the Southside Strangler Strikes Rumor? On the card it says to discard while in Ma's Boarding House. Is it supposed to be on the streets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Has
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mzonic wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

That's true. So is there a typo on the Southside Strangler Strikes Rumor? On the card it says to discard while in Ma's Boarding House. Is it supposed to be on the streets?

Unless there's been changes with printings, I think it's always been in the streets: http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/The_Southside_Strangler_Stri...

edit: Fixed the bad link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Quote:
Ongoing Effect: Return one Ally from the Ally deck to the box at random at the end of every Mythos Phase while this card is in play (beginning the turn after it entered play). The Southside Strangler has struck again!

Pass: If a player discards 5 Clue tokens while in Ma's Boarding House during the Arkham Encounter Phase, return this card to the box. Each player gains $5 as a reward from the police.

Fail: If there are no Allies to return to the box at the end of the
Mythos Phase, return this card to the box. Each player must lower either their maximum Sanity or Stamina (their choice) by 1 for the rest of the game.

Activity At: Southside Streets

Yeah, something's up. The activity marker is on the streets but the Pass condition is on the Location. I don't know why I never caught that before.

I would say it is most likely a typo and you should be in the streets to discard the rumor. If you want to play it as written, I would consider the discard the encounter, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Spoto
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Quote:
Ongoing Effect: Return one Ally from the Ally deck to the box at random at the end of every Mythos Phase while this card is in play (beginning the turn after it entered play). The Southside Strangler has struck again!

Pass: If a player discards 5 Clue tokens while in Ma's Boarding House during the Arkham Encounter Phase, return this card to the box. Each player gains $5 as a reward from the police.

Fail: If there are no Allies to return to the box at the end of the
Mythos Phase, return this card to the box. Each player must lower either their maximum Sanity or Stamina (their choice) by 1 for the rest of the game.

Activity At: Southside Streets

Yeah, something's up. The activity marker is on the streets but the Pass condition is on the Location. I don't know why I never caught that before.

I would say it is most likely a typo and you should be in the streets to discard the rumor. If you want to play it as written, I would consider the discard the encounter, I think.

Arent there several AH cards like this? That refer to a non-street location, but use to the central street location for the "place in..." reference?

I don't think it affects the card. I'll have to check the FAQ, but I think you do the action in Ma's Boarding House, instead of taking an encounter card. I don't think it's a typo, but I'll try to verify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Has
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That's funny, I looked up the picture of the card but just looked at where the activity is and didn't notice Ma's Boarding House. And I know I've had this Rumor card come up before, but we always just went to the streets where the activity is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A strict reading of the rules and the card, you would not bypass the AH Encounter phase. You would discard 5 clue tokens and have an encounter at the boarding house.

Going by a strict reading, of course...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm inclined to agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sverre
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jspoto wrote:

Arent there several AH cards like this? That refer to a non-street location, but use to the central street location for the "place in..." reference?

I'm pretty sure this is the only card where there is a difference between the Activity placement and the general text on the card.

jspoto wrote:

I don't think it's a typo, but I'll try to verify.

I think it has to be a typo. Ask yourself: What is an Activity marker for? It is only there to remind you that there is something special going on there.

Either the Activity marker is placed in the wrong place here, or the location in the text is wrong. I don't see any other possibility. Since all the other rumors are on the streets, I think this card should also affect the street area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Spoto
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't go into detail but if you include the expansion, I believe there may be some cards that read like the "Southside" card - with the activity and "mission" in different places. The activity seems to always be in the streets, as mainly a reminder of the card being in effect, not necessarily where it is occurring.

The FFG forums had a discussion re: this same topic - I'll see if any official response has been provided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sverre
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jspoto wrote:
I didn't go into detail but if you include the expansion, I believe there may be some cards that read like the "Southside" card - with the activity and "mission" in different places.

I just went through all my Mythos cards, which includes all expansions except Innsmouth (grr, need to buy it...)

The Strangler is the only Rumor card I could find that has such a mismatch.

Note that there are some cards that don't have an Activity marker, even when a place is mentioned. (There is one in the hospital, for example.)

All the Activity markers are placed on the streets, except for one card, Endlessly Breeding (BGotW expansion), which affects the River Docks (written as "Riverside Docks" on the card).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Innsmouth only has 1 and it matches - for the Church Green Streets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.