Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you think might be in the next arc of the expansions?

First, this one is pretty tame and doesn't go against the grain all that much. One not so obvious insight is that more constrained consumption (that say, goods that consume only one color, or consume in pairs, etc), actually gives players more interesting choices as to what to consume than un-constrained consume all types of cards abilities. That is, there is a larger frontier of possibilities with points/cards/goods left as the number of constrained consume powers on your tableau increases. With the base game, there might occasionally be a choice of consuming for a point or a card, but with lots of general consume all abilities, you generally have to pick somewhere on the card/point frontier and it's typically pretty obvious. Occasionally you can preserve goods by using up the resources that have colored consumption with the general consumption abilities, but it doesn't happen all that often.

Second, and more whacky. There has been no direct interaction with role choices in the first arc. There is probably some interesting design area about say, betting on players role choices (play an action face down on the Future Seer card, if anyone plays this action, you draw 2 cards), letting you see others action choices before making your own, or re-ordering the phase cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Return of the ALIEN Overlords.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man vs. ALIEN - in a desperate battle! Maybe they could mix in some developments that allows opponents to steal GENE worlds?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrWeasely wrote:
Return of the ALIEN Overlords.

Yeah my guess is any really new mechanics'll stem a lot more from theme than vice versa. The universe could be much more like David Brin's Uplift, full of meddling aliens. There is a new Event phase which occurs after the Produce phase, where players build cards to the middle, affecting everyone.

Quote:
ALIEN Tribute (Event)
2/3 (when you play this, discard 2 cards - after you play this, draw 3 cards)
$: -1 when selling Rare goods
V: If you produced the most Rare goods this phase, you may discard 1 to discard ALIEN Tribute from play and gain 1 VP chip.

Or perhaps it turns out that the universe is more like Fred Saberhagen's Berserkers, ancient machines left over from an ancient war, intent only on destroying all organic life.

Quote:
Chilling Deep Space Discovery (Development)
3/1 (cost 3, 1 point)
I: +1 look. Put a VP chip on this card (not from the pool).
III: Put a VP chip on this card (not from the pool). If there are at least 3 VP chips on this card and you have a world in your tableau, discard a world from your tableau; then if you have at least as high a military as the number of chips on this card, gain VP chips from the pool equal to the number of chips on this card.

Or perhaps the universe is a lot happier than any of us imagined, and gameplay revolves in many ways around gaining prestige by improving overall life. A sort of a Banks Culture universe, at least in spirit.

Quote:
Pleasure Dome (Gray Civilian World)
2/1
IV: Discard 4 cards from this world to gain 2 VP chips from the pool.
V: Any player may draw 1 card and then discard 1 to this world. (at most once per Produce phase per player)

Finally a terribly harsh universe where threats and dangers loom on all sides, and it's not worth a thing unless humanity survives, like Green's Deathstalker. If a player has one of your Ally tokens she is your Ally (but you are not necessarily hers). There is an additional Policy phase which comes before Explore. At the end of the game, anyone whose military plus Allies' military is at least X is eligible to win; of those eligible, whoever has the most points wins. Keep playing more games, adding 3 to X each game, until you play a game in which no one wins.

Quote:
Strength in Numbers (Policy)
3/2
I: You may discard a card to give one of your own Ally tokens to any player.
$: +X, where X is the number of Allies you have

Quote:
Big Tent (Policy)
3/1
I: Discard a VP chip to gain an additional Ally token of your color

Quote:
Posturing (Policy)
5/2
I: +X See, where X is the number of players who have you as an Ally
III: +X military, where X is the number of Ally tokens you have (yours and opponents')
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreedyAlgorithm wrote:
Yeah my guess is any really new mechanics'll stem a lot more from theme than vice versa.

I think that's a good guess. To go further:
- We can and will think of multiple sfnal themes
- An arc then is one or more themes fleshed out with cards
- Tom is working on one such arc, which will be packaged into expansions by RGG
- We'll come up with other arcs, and for many of us it's just as much fun to come up with our own arcs as to guess what Tom is cooking up
- Our own arcs are probably worth their own topic(s)
- There may well be arcs that remove cards from the base set
- At the extreme, there may be arcs that don't use the base set at all, but use the R4tG architecture
- Now that this reply includes architecture and sfnal, it should stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
New York City
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It could borrow mechanics from other games:

-Upon trade, pass one card to your left (Dominion Masquerade)
-After explore, you may discard all cards from your hand to draw N-1 cards (Dominion Cellar)
-Initial goal selection, where everyone must choose a goal and be penalized if they don't make it (Ticket to Ride)
-The crane from San Juan, where you can build over previous cards for a rebate

It could add in more co-operative play:

-Neutral developments that give everyone powers (possibly give you extra powers, or that are cheaper to build for everyone rather than for yourself--i.e., GFed only costs 2 if you build it for everyone)
-A co-operative mode, where everyone has hidden goals/agendas and builds on the same tableau, and whoever has the most goals achieved when that tableau fills up to 12*number of players wins

Or there could just be powers that generalize on existing powers, with effects we haven't really thought of:

-Upon produce, you may discard one card per windfall to produce on it
-Produce on all windfalls
-Discard from tableau after trading good from this world
-The development version of takeovers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk retheme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Few things I'm looking forward to see in the next expansion:

1) at least 2 or more new starting worlds
2) worlds or technologies with non-military settle reduction/boost as well as more terraforming
3) new and/or more develop-phase powers
4) 7th player cards (maybe one with the dark-red color? the current red is much more like orange than red)
5) global events affecting all players at once (similar to that above)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know if they're gonna keep the "Race For The Galaxy" series name, but something like "The thick of war" following Brink Of War seems to be a natural progression.

Perhaps it'll be an economy, train game in space! surprisewow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy has way too much player interaction for me.

I'm hoping for a prequel civilization game where players take the roles of various homeworlds in a pre-jump-drive state, and steer their societies to the invention of jump drive. It would be super-mega-non-interactive, since the various civilizations would take ~15 year long game turns to pass information, and ~1500 year long game turns to pass physical objects between eachother. That'd be great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Glassco
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
I'm more interested in how the story develops. As my card idea list suggested a while ago, I'm guessing there will be a 6-point development that merges Uplift and Alien, as it turns out that the aliens were responsible for Uplift in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brough
msg tools
mbmb
My wishlist:

* An UPLIFT start world.

* A start world with the big explore power (mix cards with hand). I've tried using Blaster Runners and Trading Outpost as start worlds, but I'd like to see an official Tom-balanced version. It's really nice being able to Explore+5 on the first round and exchange your entire hand - possibly a bit too good though.

* More 'Mining Conglomerates'; by which I mean cards with powers conditional on doing something better than your opponents. Consume 1 vp chip if you have the most UPLIFT worlds, draw a card if you consumed the most vp chips this round, draw a card if you settled the highest-cost world this phase.. plenty of possibilities.

* A "first to Takeover" goal; assuming more Takeover powers become available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
New York City
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also be interested in a card that rewarded fewer cards on your tableau.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theory wrote:
I'd also be interested in a card that rewarded fewer cards on your tableau.

Such a chapel ho .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.