Subject: A game with the kids. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pieter Lust
Belgium
Ieper
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and my children (9 and 11) played On the Underground tonight. The previous play was about a year ago, and then they didn't like the game very much: too long, too difficult.
The rules are short, and the children remembered most of them from the previous time, so we could start playing almost right away. My son played blue-green-brown, my daughter orange-pink-red, and I black-white-gray.
I started to build a loop in the centre, while the children built their first lines to attract the passenger. The loop bonus points, together with a green token connection bonus, put me in the lead after the first few turns. My son's lines were on the far west and east side of the board, and they attracted some traffic, but not very much. My daughter had a not too busy line in the northwest, but then started to build her pink line in a big S through the centre. It soon became the most efficient connection east to west, and I lost a lot of traffic to that line. As the end of the game came near, our scores were tied. In the last round, I made a few extra points from endpoint connections, while my daughter was unable to lay any more track. The scores: me 61, my daughter 55, and my son 46.

The game lasted about an hour and a half, quite a bit longer than the indicated time on the box. That may be due in part on the time it takes my son to place the destination markers. However, he loves to do that, and it's part of what makes the game fun for him. Being the youngest, he has almost no chance to win: the game's too difficult for that.
My daughter, on the other hand, made some really good plays and gave me a lot of competition. One more year, and I think this will be a great game for my family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.