Popular Tags: printandplay [+] [View All]
Rich Trevino
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mb
... about the 1864 campaign in Virginia. Very small, very simple. Not a simulation, but I think it captures the arc of the campaign very well:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.ee6d3e5/4003

The Playing Pieces- http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?233@531.MqvGaOyTiFl.188@.ee...

The Map- http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?233@531.MqvGaOyTiFl.188@.ee...

The Rules- http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?233@531.MqvGaOyTiFl.188@.ee...

Here's the blurb I wrote on Consim:

Overland- a SMALL solitaire game of the 1864 Virginia campaign. Player controls the Union forces, with a simple reaction/retreat system controlling the Rebs.

Two sets of counters, in two styles, so you wont have to reprint them if you make a mistake when cutting and pasting. Rules look legalistic but I could explain the game in 5 minutes- about how long it takes to play the thing.

With one 8x11 inch map, seven 5/8 inch playing pieces, and four pages of rules, this is obviously meant for the break room, or the plane and train seat tray. So, no grumbling about how simple it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I'm definitely going to give this game a try. I'm always looking for games to add to my "portable games binder"...........especially solo games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
At quick glance it looks cool. I'll print it off at work tomorrow and give it a try. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I'm a bit slow, it took me about four reads to get the rules down pat and figure out the game.

I was showing this to a co-worker and he thought it was cool.
Played 3 games and lost all three. The south is victorious.

We ran through 3 games and each time, the Union generals sucked. The closet the Yankees had to a win was Grant coming within two squares of Richmond and unable to push General Lee and the Army of Virginia any futher.

The only real dislikes I had was the Valley and the Drury's Bluff. To me, it felt those parts were just "add on's" since in the second and third game I used Grant to hammer away at Lee. The LC of Sigel and Butler showed that they were typical yankee generals...ineffective and a waste of APs and TMAs. In my mind that was due to thinking it was just a slug fest between the two army since the Union and Confederates inability to retreat or take other action. I made better use of the APs in trying to push Lee south and on to Richmond. Though I failed all three times.

I was hoping for a better use of Generals Beauregard and Breckenridge. If they had one or even two more options, I think that would have made the game for me. Really synced it in.

On the whole, I like this game and plan on retrying it for a few more games and working on different strategies.

I think you did a good job on the game design and hope you continue to work on other aspects of the ACW as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone make a game entry for this on BGG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:
Anyone make a game entry for this on BGG?

You can always use this page to see what's in the queue:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/items/boardgame/pending

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding it right now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Trevino
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Thanks to all. Some quick points:

Most of the extra rules for the game that I removed for the bare bones product were for "the side shows." I think the current rules for The Valley/Drury's Bluff give a better feel for how those areas were a waste of resources, at least until better Generals arrived to get the ball rolling. Figure that Sigel/Butler are at least tying down a like number of Rebs even if they haven't been activated for an attack.

The extra stuff for The Valley that I took out has has been posted below. Consider all of the following new optional rules:

1. Two more generals, one for each side. Lee and Grant will ALWAYS set-up on the main stage. But for the other theaters of war, make a blind draw of one Reb and one Yankee Leader.

Additional Leaders:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?233@531.SObha8YsiZl.84@.ee6...

A more accurate portrayal I suppose would allow the player to choose one of the extra Union Leaders (Sheridan of course), while continuing to be strait-jacketed with one political appointee. This might kill game balance, however.

2. Counterattack in The Valley. Should the Valley be captured, allow the Rebs one chance to retake it with a normal counterattack. Use the Rebel Leader that just lost the battle. A Rebel victory will burn a US Action Point, and put a stop to all further US activities in The Valley. For even more fun at the start of the counterattack, switch the Rebel Leader with any spare higher rated Leader.

3. Lee in Ashland: Lee will no longer automatically move into Cold Harbor if Grant moves there. Lee must first pass a Leadership Check to intercept. If that fails, automatically move Lee into Richmond. Cold Harbor now counts as Uncontested.

4. Ultra-Optional, for beginners or those wanting more side-show action: the FIRST use of BOTH Sigel and Butler will not burn an Activation Point.

And some advice:

a. If Grant is stuck in The Wilderness or Spotsylvania with half or more of the AP's already burned- start over.

b. I'll usually try to activate Sigel in The Valley attack if I've pushed Grant to within two areas of Richmond after spending only 2-3 Action Points. I figure the loss of one extra point wont hurt so bad at that... point. Also consider a Valley attack if Grant occupies a contested area adjacent to Richmond and you have only 1 AP left. A victory against Lee at that point will gain you nothing, but a success in The Valley will provide 2 extra AP's.

c. I always try to make at least one attack with Butler. The Rebs will be in a bad way if both Grant and Butler occupy Uncontested Areas adjacent to Richmond. Either Leader can then capture Richmond/Petersburg on a dr of 6, assuming there are AP's enough to burn. Of course, Beauregard will probably kick Butler in the teeth before too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Michael Tugwell
United States
Westminster
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings,

I enjoyed the game...GeekMail sent.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is on the geek now: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/57909

Go forth and add comments and images and the like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.