Mikko Loytynoja
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
1. Which one is more powerful Admiral or President?
Admiral
President
About equal power
2. Which one is more dangerous as Cylon player?
Admiral
President
Equally dangerous
      81 answers
Poll created by miloytyn

Hi,

I wanted to start this poll as in our group we had an argument about which one is more dangerous as a Cylon player, President or Admiral. One player thinks that the Admiral is hands down more dangerous than the President, but I think that both are on about equal level.
Do you think that the Pegasus expansion shifts the balance to either direction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
All My Hits Are Crits
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
miloytyn wrote:

Which one is more dangerous as Cylon player, Admiral or President?

Which ever one I'm playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Loytynoja
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course the best is to be both and a Cylon. Like I was in our last game, for about half of the game devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
miloytyn wrote:
Of course the best is to be both and a Cylon. Like I was in our last game, for about half of the game devil

How about President, Admiral and only Pilot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
miloytyn wrote:
"Pradmiral" if human. "Assident" if cylon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand why there are two different questions. Surely nobody is going to give different answers to the two?

I mean... if I were to say "The President is more powerful, but if I had to take one title and give the other to a cylon, I would take the Admiral title (leaving them the more powerful President title)." It's just silly.

As for the actual answer of which is more powerful, it depends on the situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah.

Having two questions would make sense if the power of these titles could be compared absolutely. As a comparison, say we have two characters each with one of these abilities:

a) Action: The humans win.
b) Action: Add or subtract twp from each resource.

Clearly the first is more powerful, but the second is more dangerous in the hands of a cylon.

However, the admiral's power (choosing the destination) can't be measured absolutely like that. It's simply part of the game. The only possible measure is relative: how big a difference in outcome is there between a human admiral and a cylon admiral? Since there's only one measure, having two questions is kind of silly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Loytynoja
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I was thinking about the questions like this. How powerful you think character is overall, how much it can contribute to the choises. The second question is about how much harm can you do as a cylon directly. It might be that e.g. president can make huge effort to help humans, but cannot directly harm humans as a cylon.
So it can be different answer to both questions. For example every one of the first 6 voters thought that the president is more powerful, but 3 of them thought that the admiral was more dangerous as a cylon.

So the which one is more useful for a cylon player is a combination of those both answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That logic works for the president, but not for the admiral.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokelau
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
President holds more power because she can throw people in the brig. A few games back a cyclon president was executive ordered and threw 2 of the other crew in the brig,(boomer was already there) and left no one but cylons running the ship. Also a cylon can refuse to play morale and food raising cards as pres which can be just as bad.

Sure, the cylon admiral can choose destination but this can be undermined by other players scouting the location deck before a jump.

NOW, if you add the Pegasus expansion, the ADMIRAL is more powerful because after Galactica returns in the New Caprica phase, he has the power to jump anytime and can strand tons of civ ships and crew.

Thats why we always seem to execute the Admiral and Ellen Tigh(because of her special ability) if we have not discovered the cylons. Morale is tight with the new expansion so this isn't always possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mika R.
Finland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
I don't understand why there are two different questions. Surely nobody is going to give different answers to the two?

I mean... if I were to say "The President is more powerful, but if I had to take one title and give the other to a cylon, I would take the Admiral title (leaving them the more powerful President title)." It's just silly.

As for the actual answer of which is more powerful, it depends on the situation.

Both questions are relevant because they reflect people's varying perceptions of the roles in different game contexts. It's mainly question of different perceived utilities averaged over a series of game configurations. I personally believe admiral is more dangerous role to be left for cylons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the character.
Admiral in most circumstances I think, because you choose the crappier destination every time (generally shorter, but also using more resources).

President if you are Roslin, because EVERY turn you choose between 2 crisis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Sulin
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you include Pegasus then the Admiral edges out the President. Since that last jump can be devastating.

That being said I think it really depends on the game you are playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yargo wrote:
President if you are Roslin, because EVERY turn you choose between 2 crisis.

That has absolutely nothing to do with her political office and everything to do with her special ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason it's relevant to have 2 questions is because the President has more active power in the game, but as soon as she uses it to advance the Cylon goals she's outed, whereas the Admiral can quietly choose sucky destinations to tank the Humans, usually without any proof of sabotage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
the President is far more powerful a Cylon since they can make sure the Arrest Orders are used up and thus the humans need to use the Admirals Quarters to put you into the brig. Plus you can pretty much destroy the humans with poor choices especially if you have put several of them in the brig and using the Administration is tough for the humans to succeed at (Baltar can be hard to dethrone unlike Roslin)

Choosing to lose 2 food several times in a row can be devastating and hoarding the food raising cards for as long as possible can be useful aswell. The new Quorum cards are also pretty nice, and if you know who your ally is you can play the various cards on them instead of a loyal human.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamakaze wrote:
the President is far more powerful a Cylon since they can make sure the Arrest Orders are used up and thus the humans need to use the Admirals Quarters to put you into the brig. Plus you can pretty much destroy the humans with poor choices especially if you have put several of them in the brig and using the Administration is tough for the humans to succeed at (Baltar can be hard to dethrone unlike Roslin)

Choosing to lose 2 food several times in a row can be devastating and hoarding the food raising cards for as long as possible can be useful aswell. The new Quorum cards are also pretty nice, and if you know who your ally is you can play the various cards on them instead of a loyal human.

To be honest, if the humans let a Cylon President lose 2 food several times in a row without justification, they deserved to lose. Same with the Arrest Orders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The President is definatly more powerful because they can brig the humans. If they time things right they can get almost all the human players into the brig.

The Admiral can be very dangerous because they could play human but keep them from reaching the end goal quickly. It's also easy to kill fuel which is very important when you run into bad jumps.

(no expansion experience).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.