David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
Can Helo be executed by the airlock, or a crisis card, such as current player is executed or admiral is executed before he arrives on the ship?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For him to be immune to those effects would be "just bad" game-wise. I'd say he dies. (Centurions got him).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Based on previous rulings, Helo can NOT be choosen as a target when their is a choice. So if you can execute any player, you can't select Helo until he is on the ship.

If it is forced upon him becuase he is "current player" or admiral and the card targets the CP or Admiral, then I would say yes, he can be executed.

And Helo can most definitely by the admiral if he is highest in military succession. This has been confirmed by the designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses. Ultimately the the only thing that would have mattered was the standing of morale, finished at 1, would have been 2 with his execution.
It made sense to us that he would die since it specifically targeted the admiral. It was just a funny scene because the first player really wanted Helo, and then he's gone after 1 crisis. Also, theme wise, it does make sense that Helo just doesn't make it back, but also the problem is how is he admiral in the first place, but that has been discussed many times before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
helo's drawback only states:
- he cannot move or be moved
- he cannot take actions

he can still be targetted, but if the targetting spell would move him, it would not resolve.
when you execute him, he's no longer helo, so he can go to resurection ship (if cylon) or to the starting location of his new character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While it may seem like that's how you could do it, Wim, especially if you play or have played Magic the Gathering, the designer and the FAQ have said that, for example, you can't choose Helo as a target if there is a choice ("current player chooses someone to send to sickbay").

On the other hand, being executed doesn't really move Helo...

I tend to agree with Brian, mainly because he's really a Cylon and would kill me for disagreeing, but also because it seems like a natural extension: can't be chosen when there is a choice available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he can be chosen for execution since there is no movement involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree with Todd & Wim, the FAQ ruling is specific to effects that cause Helo to move. Execution doesn't cause Helo to move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Hilkes
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Wouldn't that still leave the thematic problem of: How do we throw someone out of the airlock that isn't actually here yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Barim wrote:
Wouldn't that still leave the thematic problem of: How do we throw someone out of the airlock that isn't actually here yet?

What's theme got ta do with it?

You can rationalize it away as Helo getting whacked by the Cylons on Caprica as metnioned above. You just notch it up to an abstract level.

As far as the ruling, I can be swayed that Helo could be the target of an execution. By the letter of the law, he cannot move or take actions, and being executed is technically neither. Helo is allowed to play into checks, draw skill cards, and make decisions if he is admiral. So he can partipate in the game in every other way.

My only hesitation is that the Helo was exempt from everything that was able to target players from teh base game. So that seems like it should carry through. I'd feel more comfortable with a ruling from Corey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it really true he was exempt from everything? I wasn't clear that was what the FAQ said after rereading it. Could you have President-in-Exile Helo by using Administration (clearly you could have someone reveal as a Cylon and have Helo be the next in line, since he can be Admiral)? (How bad would things have to be for you to say we'd rather have the guy who's not even in the same sector of space be President than the chimp who's doing it now?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Davis
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
My only hesitation is that the Helo was exempt from everything that was able to target players from teh base game. So that seems like it should carry through. I'd feel more comfortable with a ruling from Corey.

He was exempt from any targeting that required him to be moved to Sickbay or the Brig. He could still be forced to discard cards, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One could argue that having to remove his figure from play counts as moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
InfoCynic wrote:

I submitted the question a couple days ago. Corey seems to be back on track to take about a week to get answers to us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
InfoCynic wrote:

I submitted the question a couple days ago. Corey seems to be back on track to take about a week to get answers to us.

The only reason I think this is important to discuss is that a cylon helo, technically, if they were awful, decide to smash a skill check early before they got onto galactica. I dont see this happening much though. I think in all other instances it makes sense to make helo immune to executions during this time. He's not able to take actions (such as drawing a card from Research Lab) so he's already at a handicap compared to everyone else first turn. I think this is reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My feeling is he should not be able to be "Chosen" as a result of a crisis card, but if it executes a title, and he's got that title, then he dies. Just my 0.02Cdn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.