Subject: Checking your opponent's BCs - allowed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: anecdotes [+] csw [+] [View All]
Jamie Pollock
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you at any time check your opponent's strength in terms of BCs under a leader? Or is this information meant to be concealed until a battle is initiated?

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, I never thought about that. I did no find anything in the rules, either. We play that you can always count the CUs, and I think that's how it is meant to be - if you wanted, you could count the added ones during play anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Jacobsson
Sweden
Upplands Vasby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A valid question. Many wargames use this method (no sneak peak) as a simple fog-of-war. But I would think that if it's not mentioned in the rules, then all CUs are in the open for everyone to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always count the CUs your opponent has in any space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where did you find that, Eric?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked the same question a few years ago:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/106804

and got answers saying "we play that...". But I would like to learn the official rule, since I think that not knowing exactly how many CUs an army has can add a little uncertainty to the preliminary moves toward battle...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
mavo wrote:
Where did you find that, Eric?

I didn't find it; it's just how I've always played, including at WBC. But I have posted to the ConSimWorld forum and gotten a reply from Bruce Wigdor, one of the co-authors of the 2nd Edition rules:

Bruce Wigdor wrote:
The rules may not expressly allow the examining of stacks, but I can't think of any games that have hidden movement, but not rules that talk about it.

Also, who said anything about a stack? The rules don't mention that you actually stack your pieces in the space. Maybe you're supposed to keep all the pieces in plain sight and not even use a stack.

Not allowing the viewing of stacks can also lead to mistakes being made (particularly if you're constantly making change to confuse your opponent), and outright cheating.

It would be very unfortunate if someone ruled that stacks were not permitted to be examined. Does being a co-author of the 2nd edition rules qualify me to make a ruling? Probably not, but until someone who outranks me says something to the contrary, I'll offer a ruling that you can examine the contents of any space.

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?13@771.7An9e4pDbR8.194@.ee6...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition, there are many situations in which you need to prove that you have an appropriate number of CUs. For example, whenever you move a General, you must prove you have at most 10 CUs. There are more complex situations involving Roman Consuls.

If the number of CUs was meant to be secret, there would have to be rules about exactly how you demonstrate that you are staying within the limits imposed by the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a link to an extensive discussion on CSW:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?7@852.5jBcaPeajfr.6@.ee6c98...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
Here's a link to an extensive discussion on CSW:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?7@852.5jBcaPeajfr.6@.ee6c98...

The first post on that page was certainly amusing, by the way...
Peter White on that page wrote:
Paulus Comes Home, Brings Hope to Downtrodden Syracuse

Syracuse’s decision to name Greg Paulus as its starting quarterback on Monday quickly became one of the most intriguing story lines of the 2009 season. The return of the former Duke point guard to his hometown in hopes of reviving the fortunes of a moribund football program has evolved from an irresistible curiosity to a reality.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/20/sports/ncaafootball/20paul...

Thought this might be important based on the headline, but it turns out to only be about football.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.