Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Allwood
United Kingdom
Whitley Bay
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got addicted to Mountain Dew (a favourite drink of many gamers due to its high caffein level) during some of my many trips to the States and I'm now having to pay something like £1 a can to buy through an importer. It's on sale in Scandanavia and certain other parts of Europe, so why not the UK? Is there just no taste for it over here, or are there health and safety restrictions impacting its sale?

Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that Grade-A Plutonium is illegal to ship overseas.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Supposedly it was sold in the mid 90's in the UK when the company Britvic(who has exclusive rights to pepsi-co products in the UK) pulled it from production because of lack of sales. So I guess no reason other than a business decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Supposedly it was sold in the mid 90's in the UK when the company Britvic(who has exclusive rights to pepsi-co products in the UK) pulled it from production because of lack of sales. So I guess no reason other than a business decision.

I think it is also not sold in Canada, no? I wonder if the same reason holds there? Seems like awhile back someone mentioned the why, but I don't recall.

I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I can drink Mountain Dew (Code Red)!

Huzzah. Yay. Etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuuli Mustasydän
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:
I think it is also not sold in Canada, no? I wonder if the same reason holds there? Seems like awhile back someone mentioned the why, but I don't recall.

It's sold in Canada but it's a no-caffeine version because only dark-coloured sodas are allowed to have caffeine. Otherwise it's an "energy drink" and is subject to energy drink regulations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think maybe, it's the stupid name?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, what the hell are you doing in Chit Chat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Allwood
United Kingdom
Whitley Bay
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought I'd show my face, so to speak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Allwood
United Kingdom
Whitley Bay
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See what you lot get up to in the Off Topic dungeons
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And why isn't Manzana Lift sold in the United States? It's a Coke product - it shouldn't be that hard to sell it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It dissapeared from the shops for a while when I was still at school. The general theory at the time (amongst us at school anyway) was that the powers that be had found one of the ingredients to have strange ball shrinking powers.

It's been back in the shops for a while. But I still don't drink it. You know, just in case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Banichi wrote:
It dissapeared from the shops for a while when I was still at school. The general theory at the time (amongst us at school anyway) was that the powers that be had found one of the ingredients to have strange ball shrinking powers.

It's been back in the shops for a while. But I still don't drink it. You know, just in case.

I can verify this is an urban myth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
unixrevolution wrote:
Banichi wrote:

I've drank plenty of Mountain Dew, my balls are as large as ever. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm not the Admin you are looking for
badge
O&CE Bob has Retired as a Geek Admin
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:
unixrevolution wrote:
Banichi wrote:

I've drank plenty of Mountain Dew, my balls are as large as ever. ninja

or as small as ever arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't ship it to England, 'cause we don't want you dressing up like Indians and dumping our nation's beverage of choice into the Thames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Quote:
So anyone know why Mountain Dew isn't on general sale in the UK?

Click!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
We don't ship it to England, 'cause we don't want you dressing up like Indians and dumping our nation's beverage of choice into the Thames.

laughlaughlaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a crate of the stuff in my back room. I'm throwing it out on Saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
I've got a crate of the stuff in my back room. I'm throwing it out on Saturday.

Now, more than ever, I know that we are arch enemies. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Banichi wrote:

Heh. Amy and I were debating your gender last night. Thanks for clearing that up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Todd
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I moved from Minnesota to California for a couple of years I was surprised that I could never find Mello Yello.

It's Coke's version of Mountain Dew (down to the green label) and apparently it's regional. I don't know whether the appearance of a knock-off means that Mountain Dew is more popular here or less. Maybe it's more popular, but more vulnerable in terms of brand loyalty, I dunno.

So is Mello Yello available in your neck of the woods?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greyareabeyond wrote:
When I moved from Minnesota to California for a couple of years I was surprised that I could never find Mello Yello.

It's Coke's version of Mountain Dew (down to the green label) and apparently it's regional. I don't know whether the appearance of a knock-off means that Mountain Dew is more popular here or less. Maybe it's more popular, but more vulnerable in terms of brand loyalty, I dunno.

So is Mello Yello available in your neck of the woods?

Mello Yello is not available in Maryland. We have Coke's other Energy-drink-soda-thing, Vault, which we think is the new Mountain Dew clone in markets here on the east coast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mierz
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to Wikipedia, it had low sales in the UK but is being reintroduced (after being discontinued there in 1998). Also, caffeinated Mountain Dew is not sold in Canada "since caffeine isn't allowed in non-cola beverages, the exception being specialty products such as the Mountain Dew Fuel line."

I can't imagine what the appeal of caffeine-free Mountain Dew is. I love soda, but MD is no more than a caffeine vehicle in my eyes - stuff is pretty nasty, except for LiveWire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chony McChuukface
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TimMierz wrote:

I can't imagine what the appeal of caffeine-free Mountain Dew is. I love soda, but MD is no more than a caffeine vehicle in my eyes - stuff is pretty nasty, except for LiveWire.

I disagree. I would gladly buy caffeine free Dew in AZ if it were available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
So I guess no reason other than a business decision.

In Brazil they tried to sell in the early 2000's (I think it was 2003). They started a massive campaign given free Dew to university students and at a few youth events and asking how they like it. It was so badly received that it didn't make a long time on the stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.