Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel
Australia
Stratton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Im looking for a new game to buy so is this one worth buying???
what can you compare it to?
How close to the pc game does it feel like ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dan,

I would suggest that you read some of the reviews of the game to find out more.

It's nothing like the PC game - it has more in common with the PC game Colonization.

It is a worker-placement game mixed with area-majority mechanics. Again, though, if you want a feel for the game it's easier just to read some reviews/session reports/personal comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Spoto
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the site. There's an entire entry for the game here on BGG, complete with a whole host of reviews, addressing this very question. I'd start there, and then follow up with a more detailed or directed inquiry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Chua
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say everyone should get this game...but I will say that it is a very good game, and one I enjoy tremendously. It scales well though time increases with more players. One sign of a good game is that it feels shorter than it actually takes.

I say read more about the game and if you think it's your kind of game, pull the trigger. I recommend it unreservedly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear this game and its PC counterpart are about as different as night and day.

Play time has been on average around less than 3 hours for my various groups. We don't go super fast though. There are some crucial times where we take a few moments to try to think things through. They've even included snafus such as determining how we messed up turn order/rules, and seeing if we could rewind to that point.

If you can get it on sale for cheap (e.g. Barnes & Noble), all the better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Chern
Taiwan
flag msg tools

It's Really a good game and deserve to have a try.
Here is a really nice review on it, by a famous game designer
Take a look:
http://www.faidutti.com/index.php?Module=ludotheque&id=518

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The PC game is mostly about combat and technology advancement. The board game is about worker placement and area control. They have nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing, in common beyond the theme. And even then, in the PC game the scale is at the village/battlefield level. In the board game, you are working at the country level.

If you like the PC game because it is fast, exciting, has lots of combat and units, and you can build walls and siege towers, there is no guarantee you will like anything at all about the board game.

With that said, as far as board games go, Age Of Empires is a good one!

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.