Arkham Horror: Innsmouth Horror Expansion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Trish's Personal Story rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
When Trish gains two clue tokens during a single encounter, she places "Who's in charge?" in play.

Daisy defeated The Great Ritual during '''The Arkham Encounter Phase'''.

Is defeating a rumour in place of having an encounter or an encounter itself?

By extension, if she discards a gate trophy in the Science Building and gains two clue tokens, is that an encounter?

In the latter case, the location specifically says instead of having an encounter, so I would say no.

I'm just not sure if defeating a rumour is an encounter, just because it says the action occurs during that phase.

BTW: The pass condition on this rumour is for each investigator to gain two clue tokens.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I would NOT consider the Rumor an Encounter. So I wouldn't think the reward from The Great Ritual would count. Moreso than that, since encoutners are individual experiences, I would say this leans heavily toward Trish herself doing something to gain the clues to advance her story.

I am an advocate of saying the special abilities ARE encounters. Many disagree with me because of that phrase "instead of an encounter." But those special abilities are treated as encounters in all other respects. So I would argue that if Trish went to the Science Building and traded trophies for Clues, she should advance her personal story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, I am confused. :-)

Not your fault. It's another one of those subtle nuances in the game that can be interpreted several ways and keeps the interest level high.

I didn't allow it, wanting to get some opinions first, but defeating a rumour, especially one that requires bringing a ritual to an end, would be quite an encounter. You've got all these wild-eyed, naked, dancing dervishes, probably high on halucinogens whirlling around. It's going to take quite a bit more effort than throwing three written spells that you haven't memorized onto the fire to bring them under control.

On the other hand, throwing a common item on the ground in an OW to prevent a Return to The Old Ways isn't really an encounter. I'm pretty sure the reward is two clues with that rumour.

You may be right about the SB and other special-text locations.
She is encountering the scientists, giving the material from the gate to them in exchange for their knowledge of what it means.
Slightly different wording could have been used, such as:

Encounter Actions:

Draw Encounter card

or

Spend one gate trophy for two clues

Although, it doesn't have quite the same flavor text.

I guess we can't ask for an official ruling on every question, so it's got to be personal interpretation with most of it.

This also brings up the question of whether defeating a warlock is an encounter and those two clue tokens count toward her ps. There's no question she is encountering the monster; although, it's during the movement phase.

It sounds like it was phrased the way it was on her ps to indicate that she can't just go into a location with two clues in it, pick them up and pass on turn one

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I don;'t disagree that is would be quite the encounter. But an "encounter" is something specific in terms of the game. Per the rules:

Quote:
Location cards represent the encounters that take place at
the various locations in Arkham.

Quote:
Gate cards represent the encounters that take place in
the Other Worlds.

So it does not include monsters combat or mythos effects, rumors included.

As far as the FAQ, we keep being told that it is just around the corner. I actually saw a rough draft of it at GenCon. And rough is a relative term. It was more like a collection of rulings and forum threads all gathered together. I intend to ask about a lot of these things if I don't see them on the FAQ. I like the idea of the Personal Stories but they just left too much open for interpretation on how they work. A few timing clarification might resolve most of the issues but just about every investigator has some ambiguity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
I don;'t disagree that is would be quite the encounter. But an "encounter" is something specific in terms of the game. Per the rules:

Quote:
Location cards represent the encounters that take place at
the various locations in Arkham.

Quote:
Gate cards represent the encounters that take place in
the Other Worlds.

So it does not include monsters combat or mythos effects, rumors included.

So where you getting that "instead of encounter" abilities (where you don't draw cards) count as encounter for PS nonsense ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian

I agree with the ambiguity of some of the personal stories.

Is it Mark's that states if he is reduced to zero sanity, he fails?

All the others refer to either being devoured, driven insane or being knocked unconscious. If it weren't for the fact that the failure condition specifically states something happens during an encounter, I wouldn't know if zero sanity meant insane or devoured.

The inconsistency in language is one of the things that provokes these conversations, which is another positive side of the game.

A FAQ compendium would rival the Necronomicom in scope and size. :-)

I enjoy your insights. They always provide food for thought.

Still don't know why the avatar hasn't shown up. Must have left out a step; although, it's been paid for.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
Still don't know why the avatar hasn't shown up. Must have left out a step; although, it's been paid for.

Brian

You need to select and upload a graphic of your choice. Right now, it is probably just an empty slot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talked it over with Octavian, who set me on the right path. We'll see with this post if it worked or I need another class.

Thanks, Brian

edit: There it is. I really like the artwork on the Innsmouth Horror and so chose that.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
edit: There it is. I really like the artwork on the Innsmouth Horror and so chose that.

Brian

Bloody Deep One !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.