Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42» Forums » General

Subject: 2D6 System rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Gallagher
United States
California
flag msg tools
So, I finished a game of AtB last night and my father and I were discussing the issue of games using the 2D6 system. The problem with 2D6 systems is that die roll modifiers are not consistent with their effect on the base die rolls needed.

In a basic example, let's say we have an AV of 5 against a DV of 13. Your die roll needed for a hit is 8 or better. Ok, now let's say the defensive unit is in a Heavy Woods. That makes it 10 or better. So, in this case, the woods are adding 7 out of 36 chances to miss.

Now, if the AV was 6 instead, we are looking at a 7 or better. Add the woods, and it becomes 9 or better, adding 9 out of 36 chances to miss.

This brings the question, "why should the Woods create two different changes of chance in any given situation".

Does anyone have a rationale for using this type of system? Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but I have always wondered abut this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because it's simple, it works, and is accessible to a large variety of people. I understand your concern, but ultimately it's a matter of accessibility. I personally would rather worry about the gameplay itself than sit there and worry about statistics. And I think the ultimate thing here is that the majority of people aren't statisticians, and so enjoy a game better when those sorts of things aren't jammed down their throats. I'm one of those who hates numbers, so I enjoy the ability to arbitrarily judge the difficulty of a hit by comparing two simple numbers instead of dealing with insane amounts of them. If you're really concerned about this, though, I recommend ASL or ATS, they provide that level of "realism" I get enough of in my daily life and so avoid like the plague Enjoy

Cheers,

Jacovis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Jacobsson
Sweden
Upplands Vasby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He could of course try the game with a D12...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacovis wrote:
If you're really concerned about this, though, I recommend ASL or ATS, they provide that level of "realism" I get enough of in my daily life and so avoid like the plague

ASL, or any other plausible system, will have similar effects. The fundamental reason that combat resolution systems aren't linear is that the world is not linear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Jacovis wrote:
If you're really concerned about this, though, I recommend ASL or ATS, they provide that level of "realism" I get enough of in my daily life and so avoid like the plague

ASL, or any other plausible system, will have similar effects. The fundamental reason that combat resolution systems aren't linear is that the world is not linear.

Yep. Thanks for being much more clear than myself David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.