10 Posts

Bohnanza» Forums » Rules

Subject: Donations for Future Donations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Bruce
msg tools
mbmb
Lately, in my groups games of Bohnanza there is a lot of IOUs going around. While it isn't problematic, it seems that the game might be more interesting without being able to force a future donation out of someone. (They have no obligation to uphold the IOU, just goodwill throughout the game and future games) Does anyone actually know if there are any rules addressing this? Also, if someone plays disallowing IOUs, how is the gameplay in terms of donations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
No official rule. But without an immediate trade, nothing can be enforced. As you mention, our good memories and the future games keep us from breaking the IOUs too much. That seems to be the best correction if someone gets out of line - no more future trades with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daric Morris
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't allow IOUs at all. Personally I think the game is a lot more fun played cut-throat and competitively.
I've played with groups that are too amicable with the trading and it gets a little dull.
The most fun is forcing someone to plant a bean they don't want.
devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played over 100+ times with our family and I've seen both routes - IOU and I'm not going to owe anyone.

Personally I've found those who are more willing to offer goodwill have a better chance of receiving it.

Sometimes the cards don't work out that way but even with our competitive family I think we've all seen the benefits of IOU vs. stonewalling everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We even made up IOU cards with our family names on them. It was fun using them for a while, but fell out of favor. Of course, they couldn't be enforced, but it helped us recall what we "owed." We regularly play with an IOU mindset; sometimes you collect or pay off, and sometimes you just don't get the right cards to do so. We have no hard feelings about not being able to collect. We also know that failing to pay off, frequently, would cause others to not give you the option in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
evilgit wrote:
I don't allow IOUs at all. Personally I think the game is a lot more fun played cut-throat and competitively.
I've played with groups that are too amicable with the trading and it gets a little dull.
The most fun is forcing someone to plant a bean they don't want.
devil

Agreed.

You people play like pussies apparently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, our gaming is quite competitive. We only make deals that we believe are to our advantage, often forcing someone to harvest fields that they are not ready to eliminate. Our trades and donations are made to set up our own hands for the best future plantings. Sometimes this involves trading a more valuable bean for a lesser one, but only because it appears to be a good strategic move.

However, as we are involved in family gaming, we find it to our advantage to also treat others as we would wish to be treated, which may involve paying back an IOU arrangement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bruce
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for all the replies. Bohnanza has been one of my favorite light games to play with entry gamers and has been starting to get a bit old. I'm really hoping to add this house rule to make the games more interesting. As the game stands now, it's a complete negotiation game with very little difficult decisions. How would you go about disallowing IOUs? Would you just say that you can't discuss the possibly of receiving anything in the future for a donation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, you could do that. Just say 'no IOU's allowed'.

IMHO I think it takes out an element that keeps more interaction and alertness going on amongst the table of players.

Instead of just sitting there knowing you can't even try to offer something (because IOU's are not allowed) you may be inclined to try and offer something even though it may result in an IOU. I think this keeps everyone involved more.

As I mentioned earlier, this game has over 150 plays in our family. I think it comes back to the table after all of those plays because of the interaction and deal making element that keep it interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daric Morris
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try it both ways and see which you prefer. When I first got the game, it had no english rules and we incorrectly played that any trade had to involve one of the two beans turned for trade and that something had to be given in return (ie you couldn't just donate a bean to someone)
I thought it played fine like that.

And you might want to pick up the expansion. It has some interesting elements that are nice if everyone at the table is familiar with the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.