Popular Tags: [View All]
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hybrid has better mini`s - plastic can`t beat metal! The art on tiles are on par with SH3.

Hybrid Rulebook have been shelled heavy. With some justice. But people may put more into the rules than it really is. It is not that complicated. If something is unclear, just find the simplest solution and you can`t go wrong.

Hybrid will take twice longer than SH3 to play.

SH3 the good guy moves all his mini`s first - then the bad guy. In Hybrid you preset secretly your army. Then the good guy activates his no 1 man first, then the bad guy does the same with his no 1. Next the good guy activates his no 2 man .. and so on.

The order tokens are the only weak component in Hybrid. Fiddly small. But it is easy to make your own.

Details and "realism". In Hybrid you have cards.Some will add various strength to your units prior to play. Some will be triggered during play. In SH3 the unit is killed instantly. In Hybrid your unit will be degraded - more difficult to roll a success. Other details in "realism" are such as limited visibility in the dark dungeons.

Luck. In Hybrid there is much less luck. You have limited no of cards to modify the dice roll at critical points during the game.

Overwatch. In SH3 you have two types overwatch. In Hybrid there is a lot more to choose from. And they are not revealed until activated. You must outguess you opponent

Finally some says it too few mini`s supplied for several scenarios. Not true. The scenario states the max number points to "buy" and build an army. You can play with less. But I have bought a few extra blister packs cheap. This makes a larger selection of units to pick from. The planning strategy is now more interesting. Few strong ones? Good attack? Defense?

A nice game. To be honest SH3 will hit the table more often thanks to short gameplay. But I love my beatuful Hybrid too!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8515

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yes, Hybrid is both gorgeous and a great game once you've suffered through the rulebook (or, better, used UniversalHead's rule summary).

Edit: clarification that UniversalHead does not cause suffering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think one of the biggest advantages of Space Hulk is simplicity.

Hybrid seems to be anything but. Not that I'm saying it's a bad game, quite the contrary - it looks rather interesting. But I tried reading the rulebook and I think I went insane for a week or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hybrid looks and feels more akin to Warhammer Quest.
(And in a small way like Mutant Chronicles: Siege on the Citadel for the large board tiles.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Omega2064 wrote:

If that's true then I should definitely be giving Hybrid a try. I didn't see any campaign and cooperative rules though on BGG's site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Theres a French site with rules for solo play that can be adapted m'thinks to co-op vs the solo AI.
In retrospect it feels more like Advanced Space Crusade. Or Heroquest with a modular board.

wlybrand wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:

If that's true then I should definitely be giving Hybrid a try. I didn't see any campaign and cooperative rules though on BGG's site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Canada
Kinda SW of Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From they way you describe Hybrid it sounds like a larger tactical game whereas Space Hulk is more of a quicker and personal "get attacked, react, panic game" appropriately set within the cramped corridors found in the game (I think it succeeds quite well at generating that tense feel). Interesting synopsis of Hybrid though. I might have to check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wlybrand wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:

Issue 6 of Cry Havoc has a three mission campaign for Hybrid along with a RPG campaign. Another of the Cry Havoc issues also expands the game outside of the dungeons to the streets of Cadwallon.

The map and the figures are as visually stunning as Space Hulk IMO (minus the glossiness). True, the rules are more complicated (UniversalHead's rules summary and reference cards are a great help), but worth learning for the additional depth of gameplay they bring. Anyone who feels Space Hulk is not "meaty" enough might be pleasantly surprised by Hybrid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgand
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hybrid sounds quite cool... sadly it also sounds very OOP. soblue

Sometimes it seems like the best games are also the least available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd been eying Hybrid for a long time, especially since people have compared it with Space Hulk, but the $80 price tag (back before FFG's massive games started coming out) kept me away. But when I heard Hybrid was out of print, I quickly went down and grabbed the only copy I've ever seen locally, and at a different FLGS, grabbed the only copy of the expansion I've ever seen.

Now that I have them, I don't know what to do with them! The rules seem extremely complex, and I think I'd rather have someone teach me than go through the pains of learning the game. That, and I have to find someone who /wants/ to play this thing. So, unfortunately, this game looks like it will sit on my shelf forever

(Space Hulk, on the other hand, gets frequent playtime )

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgand
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
So, unfortunately, this game looks like it will sit on my shelf forever

Well if you've resigned yourself to never playing it I'm sure you'd be able to move a complete copy here in the marketplace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't think so! Just Especially for an out of print game

(I have a bunch of games I've never played, some still shrink wrapped even, that I will probably never sell )

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.