William Baldwin
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For those interested in growing the hobby:

How about printing out free print and play games and adding them to the Snickers bars this and every year?

Of course, age appropriate games will be a bit hard to find, but the collective designers of the game world could try to feed the concept as time goes on, I suppose.

Put a little board game geek web address on the envelope and tell them there is more to be found then is dreamt of in their imaginations. It will help out the hobby and everyone pretty much benefits from that.

Ask your favorite designer to design a freebie for the younger ones... more quality games would come to you, if the hobby grows.

Thanks for reading and please post suggested games (geeklist, anyone?) for younger boys and girls in the free print and play format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great idea. It reminds me of a little board game I recently got in a Wendy's kid's meal. It was very simple to set up and play, but for the target audience, it was just right.

Just off the top of my head, Rebekah Bissell has a lot of great games that would be perfect for this. Squirrel Squabble is the one I'm thinking of.
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're a CCG'er, give away commons. If you have a bunch of games you just want to get rid of, wait for an unsuspecting parent to come along and give the game to them.

You can also support the FLGS by buying a "pound-o-dice" bag. Just break it out, and give out dice. You get to keep the special sparkly dice I hear comes with the bag!

I'll be giving away comics, myself. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Beale-C
msg tools
Sam and Max wrote:
You can also support the FLGS by buying a "pound-o-dice" bag. Just break it out, and give out dice. You get to keep the special sparkly dice I hear comes with the bag!

I'd buy the bag, but I know I'd end up buying a lot of candy to give out so I could keep the dice. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Baldwin
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
@ Freelance Police -

I like your idea, but my hope is to grow the designer game hobby more than the CCG's. More of an independent movement. However, games are games and the limited exposure for the hobby needs some help so anything would be good. Including the name and location of your local store is a great idea as well.

@ Nick Hayes -

Thanks! I'll send her geekmail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
Of course Nick didn't mention Chunky Fighters, but you could hand out a fighter to each kid.

Or you could pass out Reiner Knizia's Decathlon, I don't remember how many dice it needs but it would be easy to assemble.

Edit: ooo, Eight Dice needed, that might be a bit much.

*Here in St. Louis, kids must pay for their candy with either a joke or a song or a poem (I also settle for rapping and/or dancing). I hand out hell money from the Asian store to kids who don't dress up and are too cool to tell me a joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Celinashope wrote:
I hand out hell money from the Asian store to kids who don't dress up and are too cool to tell me a joke.

That is awesome! I have a stack of those that I used to use along with poker chips for betting in games. But handing them out on Halloween to kids who aren't dressed up... what a great use for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a fun idea!
A few games to take a look at (I haven't played all of them, but they look like they'd be appropriate and somewhat thematic):
Freaky Forest: The Halloween Game: Looks like a simple press-your-luck game. Kids could use the candy they've collected as the point chips.
Patience Fighter: Might be better for older kids.
Cheese Chasers: The original game isn't as thematic for Halloween, but there are lots of variants posted. Good for a variety of ages.
Zombie in my Pocket: Could work for older kids (teenagers maybe?). I've also posted a variant designed for playing with younger kids called Fairy Tale in My Pocket.

It might be fun to call for PnP designers to create some games specifically for this purpose. Seems like it'd be a fun challenge.

Black Canyon wrote:
Just off the top of my head, Rebekah Bissell has a lot of great games that would be perfect for this. Squirrel Squabble is the one I'm thinking of.
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank you, Nick .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheese Chasers was the first one I thought of. Honestly, though... how many kids are going to turn down a candy bar for a game made out of paper? Worth a try, I guess, and post your results if you do it, but I'm not betting on a great results.

I'm probably giving out Hot Wheels this year. I collected for a few years and have quite a few turds to hand out. Keeping the Ferrari and the muscle cars but everything else is going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Something else I had forgotten about Cheese Chasers is that there are also files for a color-it-yourself version. Might be a fun activity for younger kids.

Snake Pit is another one that could work well for this purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Baldwin
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
@Rick Kimmel -

I never suggested not giving out candy as well.... I wouldn't want anyone getting egged. I was just hoping people wanted to spread some games while making the kids have a good night. Maybe they can get their parents to play a game once they get home (they'll be up on sugar anyways, right?).

Everyone -

Thanks for the suggestions, please keep them coming and ask some people to participate in the project.

Please put the geek site url and your favorite local store on the game envelope!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leistiko
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One-Page Halloween Handout Games
Willi B wrote:
Thanks for reading and please post suggested games (geeklist, anyone?) for younger boys and girls in the free print and play format.

Looks like my previous post got removed. I can't say I blame whomever chose to remove it, since it may have felt a little "spammy". I'm a little disappointed, since I really did take time and consideration to filter out good candidates.

That said... I think that giving out print-and-play games is a nifty idea. I've done so in the past to promote my pnp games at geek conventions. A lot of what I've learned from that applies here too. When I print up give-away games, I print the rules on one side of a piece of brightly-colored card stock and the board on the other side. The games may require common components, like d6es, Poker cards, or loose change, but I do not provide them. It's safe to assume that average people have access to these. Similarly, I think it's safe to assume the same of trick-or-treaters.

I think one (of many possible) ideal trick-or-treat pnp game design would take a page from CCGs. In a CCG, each player needs his or her own deck. In this Halloween giveaway game design, each player needs his or her own board. When the kids get back and are sorting their loot, two, some, or all of them could play the game - each with his or her own board. I like the idea that the board has different zones on it, and the power each zone gives you varies depending on what kind of candy you put in it. That way, you can customize your "game character" from game to game. (You could design a game that "antes" candy, but that gets too much like gambling and sounds like a sure-fire recipe for sugar-fueled arguments.)

I'm not about to re-create my previous list of recommended Invisible City games. It took a long time to create and is probably what got my previous posting killed. Instead, I'll just say that there's a complete list of my pnp games at http://www.invisible-city.com/play/521/ Many of these games are appropriate for younger children or families, use standard household components, and can fit on one double-sided sheet of paper.

Now, I think I may go off and make up a game specifically for this. I have a few interesting ideas...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like John's idea of having individual components that become a game when combined. He mentioned CCGs but I would also mention things like Pirates of the Spanish Main (which I admit is in the same vein as CCGs).

How about a simple game whose rules can fit on the back of a single card. The front of the card would be the character/vehicle/special ability/victory condition/etc. that allows the player to play the game. The cards would have a good sense of identity, so the kids could trade them until they got the one they like. Then they could sit around and play the game.

I like the idea of candy being involved in the game, but I agree about avoiding betting. Although, betting with candy (gelt) is central to the Channukah game of dreidel, and kids do fine with that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
One Halloween we played Kainsish for candy corn. We had 4 popsicle sticks, with one side red and the other side colored with a unique design. Throwing the sticks told you how many of the candy corns you got to eat. If all decorated sides landed up, you got 2 candies. If all red sides landed up you got one candy. We added that if you got half & half you got a candy, because otherwise no one would have eaten much candy. I think we got through about 6 rounds before the kids decided they had had TOO much sugar, and got out the button box and used buttons for the currency.

This was great for a bunch of kids because it went fast and there was a lot of yelling encouragement, etc. I used the "tiny treat bag" from http://www.thetoymaker.com/Holidays/Halloween/1HALLOWEEN.htm... to hold the candy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Owen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gummi Polyhedral Dice would be fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Owen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Giving dice bags with one or two dice would be fun. Use of handmade bags or bags obtained from craft stores would reduce the cost.

For older gamers who still participate in candy raids, Crown Royal bags containing dice could be used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Baldwin
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies.

Jon - sorry they blocked your post. I know you have some great games that you share for free and it's a shame that the well thought out recommendations didn't make the thread.

Spanish Main is a nice visual that would get interest as well... agree that it is slightly off topic - but any growth is good.

I really would like ideas that are truly aimed at younger kids that are still good games and free print and play. It is hard to be simple and hold attention at the same time. Perhaps dexterity print and play games? Anyone know any?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leistiko
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Willi B wrote:
Jon - sorry they blocked your post. I know you have some great games that you share for free and it's a shame that the well thought out recommendations didn't make the thread.

Thanks, William. I'll try again. Here's a shorter sampling:

Tabletop Freeze Tag is a dexterity game that uses two pennies and a nickel: http://www.invisible-city.com/play/50/tabletop-freeze-tag
Runaround is Parchisi with a twist: http://www.invisible-city.com/play/461/
Bonga Bonga is a ball-bouncing game: http://www.invisible-city.com/play/102/bonga-bonga
Deluxe Memory is a memory game with special powers: http://www.invisible-city.com/play/45/
High Noon is another memory game: http://www.invisible-city.com/play/423/
Coral Reef is a number-stacking game: http://www.invisible-city.com/play/93/
Dinosaurs and Mammals is a tag variant: http://www.invisible-city.com/play/23/
Celtic Knot is a racing boardgame that uses coins: http://www.invisible-city.com/play/47/
Payout is a roll-and-move game: http://www.invisible-city.com/play/477/
Tri-ochee is a bean bag tossing game: http://www.invisible-city.com/play/500/

Still working up a special one-page game for this. We'll see how it turns out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Beale-C
msg tools
How about SPROUTS?

http://www.madras.fife.sch.uk/maths/games/sprouts.html

A really simple pen and paper game. More fun than tic-tac-toe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
-
I wish there were a way to carve up decent/mass-market titles like Carcassonne and Settler's into a bunch of 'minis'.

For example- if I could take my carcassonne set, and a handful of uline zippies, and, make up a dozen little 'minicarc' sets as halloween treats- way cooler than spending $20+ on candy, and less creepy too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Beale-C
msg tools
jimb wrote:
-
I wish there were a way to carve up decent/mass-market titles like Carcassonne and Settler's into a bunch of 'minis'.

For example- if I could take my carcassonne set, and a handful of uline zippies, and, make up a dozen little 'minicarc' sets as halloween treats- way cooler than spending $20+ on candy, and less creepy too.

You can buy sheets of "fridge magnet paper" that can be printed on by inkjet. So you could, if you really wanted, print out a set of carc tiles at ½ or 1/4 size, and put them in a cheap tin with a rule set.

arrrharrrh there are obvious problems with this arrrharrrharrrh

but they need to make a travel edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
-
The materials aren't really the problem - I really wouldn't mind breaking up [partitioning] a set, and giving it away in pieces. I don't know what an adequate small set would be, though [eg tile mix & counts], trivial variant rules to include on a card, etc. (I think a tiny carc set like this would be feasible, though, with some thought/skill.)

edit- minor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Baldwin
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Any Spooky Print and Play games that fit theme as well as the other restrictions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ripley
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great idea for Halloween! Lots of good ideas have been presented here as well. I think I will try and work on the "CCG concept" mentioned above - a standalone "solo" game but can be combined with other instances for multiplayer sort of thing.

Hope I have time - I also have to finish our layout for the Trunk-or-treat contest!

Onward!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.