Popular Tags: [View All]
Betty Dingus
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pressman put out a very similar game called Perpetual Notion. For your info, here is what I know about these games. The curious can try this concept out using homemade cards or cards from Attribut or Apples to Apples.

Here's how these games both work: Players start with one adjective or description, such as "fuzzy," or "often faulty" or "leaves a trail." Then the next player adds a card, such as "seasonal" or "makes a loud noise" or "is common in kitchens." With each adjective players stretch their minds to find some thing that encompasses the first card, second card, third card, etc. When a player thinks nothing exists ("no such a thing") that satisfies every part of the description, he/she challenges the person that added the last word. For example, the string could be "yellow" "floats" "makes sound" and "my parents had one." If the next player adds "is embarrassing" they could be challenged, but defend themselves that a rubber ducky is all of these (embarrassingly baby-ish) and so is a boat (an embarrassing ostentatious bright yellow pontoon party boat no one would want to be seen in). So the players could vote that "embarrassing" was acceptable. When the next player adds "has sharp teeth," they might be challenged and their card rejected -- what in the world would be all those things? Of course, arguing could ensue: the claim could be "A yellow warplane with teeth painted on its nose that floats on air!" So things must be kept light and the focus kept on the fun of the wordplay, not the score. Creativity, not competition, should be emphasized. The main idea is fun, not shooting down your friends' idea or yellow floatplane.

Here are some comparisons of the two published games:

Perpetual Notion:
- came out in 1993 vs 1989 for Such a Thing
- has 430 single-sided description cards vs 110 double-sided cards
- has a d6 with sides 1,1,1,1,2,2 you can use to optionally require 2 cards to be played instead of 1 (if you roll a 2 on your turn)
- has a 7" blackjack-like card shoe (bright fuscia) that also has a notch to measure out the 28 cards each player gets
- has big blue plastic card trays (13" x 8") that hold the 28 horizontal cards that each player can choose from vs [a hand of ? cards?]
- only has 4 trays, so maximum of 4 players or teams, vs 2-7 [also "2-4(8)" or "2-10"] for the various Such a Thing versions
- is recommended for adults, not ages 10+
- scores by voting whether the challenged person justified their answer. BUT unlike the plus or minus 3 cards of Such a Thing, you get varying points depending on how many cards you contributed to the round. (The challenged player gets bonus points for the challenger's cards if the vote says the answer was good, or vice versa if it is voted down. All other players get a point for each card they played.)
- has no illustrations like the older editions of Such a Thing
- has a large 14"x14"x3" box with a dated color scheme of pink/purple/turquoise/yellow vs a small box suitable for a card game
- is no longer in print vs new English reissue by Valley Games for No Such Thing
- has a BGG rating of 5.14 with 40 ratings, vs 6.52 with 151 ratings (so far) for Such a Thing
- has 77 owners vs 227, at least on BGG

This article is partly a result of researching images, comments and links on BGG. I compared and presented the information (and made up that example) but I have not actually played Such a Thing. I may have some details wrong and hope comments will correct them. The similarity of the game concept was striking, and information lacking for both games. Has anyone played both?

I will not be greedy and underhanded and ask the forum moderator for a piece of geek gold for my hour's work on this article. They refused to allow the first draft to be published in this forum, replying: "This is fine but if you're just asking for info, post it without requesting gg or moderation." I hope the post has answered more questions than it asked, and that it will be helpful to someone considering purchasing or trying out these games, or wishing to know what the games are and how they are played, as well as the differences between them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. This sounds an awful lot like Image, the 1973 3M (later Avalon Hill) game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Dingus
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The same idea is used in the 2008 game called It Fits. It has 150 cards (one-sided), a score board, a board for six cards, tokens, a sand timer, a die, pawns, and a box in the shape of "it fits."

From the back of the box:

ANYONE can come up with something that FITS. But, can you come up with something that fits the criteria of the most cards, and that EVERYONE can agree upon? Can you convince them?

It's this easy...
1. Each player is given a card and six cards are placed face-up on the game board. [Things like "Usually makes a noise" or "Usually has something inside it" or "Something you could find in your mailbox"]
2. Think of something that 'fits' the criteria of the card in your hand and as many of the face-up cards as possible.
3. When time's up, each player reveals their answer and makes their case as to why "It Fits" each card.
4. If everyone agrees, move forward. If they disagree, move back. First player to the end of the game board wins!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dingus wrote:
The same idea is used in the 2008 game called It Fits. It has 150 cards (one-sided), a score board, a board for six cards, tokens, a sand timer, a die, pawns, and a box in the shape of "it fits."

From the back of the box:

ANYONE can come up with something that FITS. But, can you come up with something that fits the criteria of the most cards, and that EVERYONE can agree upon? Can you convince them?

It's this easy...
1. Each player is given a card and six cards are placed face-up on the game board. [Things like "Usually makes a noise" or "Usually has something inside it" or "Something you could find in your mailbox"]
2. Think of something that 'fits' the criteria of the card in your hand and as many of the face-up cards as possible.
3. When time's up, each player reveals their answer and makes their case as to why "It Fits" each card.
4. If everyone agrees, move forward. If they disagree, move back. First player to the end of the game board wins!

Wow. I guess the game I designed has already been done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.