Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I have had Fields of Fire a couple of weeks. I have tried the first Normandy mission 6 times and still not been successful. Each time I tried, it was a different experience as the map changed and the enemy actions changed.

I have only a couple of years experience with wargaming so I am almost always wowed by each new game I get. However, none of them have given me a charge like this one. Fortunately I found using the unofficial reorganized rules enhanced by frequent rule checks on BGG a pretty painless process. The rules are complicated in that there are so many different things to remember, so many decisions and so much detail to the action. I love calling in artillery missions or ordering my mortar team to pound the enemy. I feel the frustration of trying to keep my chain of command and communication intact while keeping strong units in good locations to do damage. This frustration is part of the game. Nothing in the game comes easily. Everything decision has a price and cost/benefit must always be considered.

One small part of the game I particularly like is the pyrotechnics. The rules for using these are very loose and you can decide what your signals mean. I do not know of any other game where each mission you make up part of the rules yourself.

I think the AI for generating enemy placement and actions is brilliant. Very tense and so far, realistic. However, this can be brutal. I have quit 2 mission attempts on the first turn after my troops have been decimated by the enemy. To be honest, the dynamic play makes this game feel like a sophisticated "real time strategy" computer game, but more fun as I know what is happening behind the scenes.

On the other hand, when I play FOF, I get the same real fun I got when playing "soldier" as a kid, rolling under cover, throwing grenades and spraying the enemy with machine gun fire. The action is very fluid and non stop and it feels like I am making up the mission as I go along.

On the negative side, I cannot play this game every day as I have my other games when new. It is just too exhausting; all of the tension knocks me out. I cannot imagine how long it will take me to get to Viet Nam at this rate. I can't wait to get those helicopters !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really excited too, I was supposed to have it this week but my lgs didnt get the shipment cry

oh well, next week. I have a pretty good grasp of the rules from just the orignal rule book and one quick read of an example of play.
but I guess some expirience with the military and standard operating procedures has given me a bit of a head start

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Dietrich
United States
Tracy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy was delivered Thursday. Haven't had a chance to play yet but I'm determined to make time soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just got this game in trade (for Conflict of Heroes, which I found too dry).

Being an old timer (54 , I have trouble assimilating heavy rules manuals these days and I've just started wading through it.

Being a solo game, I can't even learn it by playing some friendly vassal opponent

The Korea and Vietnam cards are still in shrink, so the previous owner obviously didn't persevere with it much.

Generally I prefer strategic games to squad level, but CDG's are my favourite game mechanic, so I hope I can get to grips with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Summers
United States
Potomac Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've had this game for quite a while, but still haven't unwrapped the Vietnam/Korean cards.

Just playing through the Normandy missions allows for a lot of playtime and tons of replayability (god knows how many times I replayed the 1st Normandy mission trying to 'get it right').

I am curious to see how different the other wars play though. Hmm... I sense a sick day coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
I have just got this game in trade (for Conflict of Heroes, which I found too dry).

Being an old timer (54 , I have trouble assimilating heavy rules manuals these days and I've just started wading through it.

Being a solo game, I can't even learn it by playing some friendly vassal opponent

The Korea and Vietnam cards are still in shrink, so the previous owner obviously didn't persevere with it much.

Generally I prefer strategic games to squad level, but CDG's are my favourite game mechanic, so I hope I can get to grips with it.

I am even more of an old timer, 56 in a couple of weeks. This game was supposed to be my birthday present, but I could not wait. I am hoping that wrestling with complex games will keep my brain functioning longer than otherwise. Good luck with Fields of Fire. It is not nearly as tough as a lot of people had said. It just takes a willingness to sit down and play while referring to the rules and running to the internet to check out questions on BGG. The game play is really good and worth the trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Saunders
United Kingdom
Blackpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
radsailor wrote:
So, I have had Fields of Fire a couple of weeks. I have tried the first Normandy mission 6 times

Wow...wish I had your spare time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
radsailor wrote:
philmcd wrote:

I am even more of an old timer, 56 in a couple of weeks. This game was supposed to be my birthday present, but I could not wait. I am hoping that wrestling with complex games will keep my brain functioning longer than otherwise. Good luck with Fields of Fire. It is not nearly as tough as a lot of people had said. It just takes a willingness to sit down and play while referring to the rules and running to the internet to check out questions on BGG. The game play is really good and worth the trouble.

I couldn't help but feel the irony here, I'm 56 today and getting FoF in a couple weeks! (I hope )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tony little
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi Ken,
I got the game a few weeks ago and have managed to master the rules with the help of the training videos and I'm 87! So there's hope for you yet and , yes, I do think it keeps the brain active.

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.