Charles Picard
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Gang,

I've been slowing acquiring tank games over the last year as I creep toward wargaming. (I'm mostly a boardgame & RPG player now, but for some reason I find tank games really appealing.)

I've studied the rules for Patton's Best a bit, but it seems this is starting a little further towards the deep than I'm ready for.

I've also own Open Fire which looks a little more straightforward, and perhaps a good place to start. (I guess the other issue is that I might not want to try Open Fire if I get into P.B. first.)

So, let me know what you guys think. Keep in mind that this is my first chit & counter effort, even though I've been acquiring titles slowly over the last year or so.

Any advice welcome.

cP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Iverson
United States
Ripon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I own both copies, Patton's Best is far better. Open Fire is not really very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's not easy being green
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Original_CorPse wrote:
(I guess the other issue is that I might not want to try Open Fire if I get into P.B. first.)

If you're truly interested in tactical armored combat I think you're own curiosity will get the better of you and you'll give the other a try regardless of which game you start with. Considering you've already put some effort into Patton's Best, no sense in putting that aside now, forge ahead knowing that Open Fire is in the wings waiting to be discovered. IMHO Patton's Best is the better of the two. Boiled down they are different games within the framework of small armored unit formations. Somethings in PB are abstracted in that the game mechanics deal with the opposition, i.e. a chart and a roll of the dice result in "friendly forces" doing away with the opposition. Where as in OF your friendly forces are on the board and must manuever to eliminate the oppostion. In PB its a question of your own survival, in OF it is the measured success of your tank platoon. Good luck with both, there are a bunch of hex and counter games in this arena and you've chosen two unique games to start with. I'm sure that some of the "tread heads" will offer advice as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Patton's Best but not Open Fire so naturally I am biased towards the game I actually own. Patton's Best is tactical tank warfare down to the nitty-grittiest. You name your crewmembers and assign their skill levels, you decide what ammo to load in the tank's ready rack, and you make the decisions that affect the lives of your crew and the rest of the division.

One key piece of advice: An M4 Sherman is no M1 Abrams - they're pretty fragile compared to most of the German opposition (especially Tigers, Panthers, Stugs, and 88mm anti-tank guns). Don't shoot at anything unless you're fairly certain (80% or higher percentage-wise) you can kill it. Because if you don't, it will probably kill you. The forte of the American Sherman tank was reliability and quantity - we built many, many more Sherman tanks than most of the German models combined. One of my favorite quotes from World War II, paraphrased from a German tank commander:

"One of our tanks was better than ten of yours - but you always had eleven!"

Good luck and good hunting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Picard
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Infomanohio wrote:
One key piece of advice: An M4 Sherman is no M1 Abrams - they're pretty fragile compared to most of the German opposition (especially Tigers, Panthers, Stugs, and 88mm anti-tank guns).

Based on looking through the combat tables, I'd say this was good advice indeed!

Also, thanks for the tips so far guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patton's Best. Open Fire is just tedious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PunTheHun wrote:
Patton's Best. Open Fire is just tedious.

I agree. Open Fire just doesn't really work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Picard
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Did a list test session with PB, pretty fun. My first venture into wargame territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's not easy being green
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Original_CorPse wrote:
Cool. Did a list test session with PB, pretty fun. My first venture into wargame territory.

Welcome Aboard... Prepare yourself for years of entertainment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.