United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Style Over Substance
badge
"In loving memory of Mariel."
mb
I bought this game for my English school in Japan. From what I read it seemed like just the kind of light filler that would go over well between classes for my elementary aged students. The game has been a success in this regard. Games are fast, it's easy to add more players as they come in, and the rules are very easy to pick up.

All that said, I have some disappointments.

First, the components: While the cards are good, the dice are not. The images are painted on the dice, so, after several months of regular play the images are scratching off. At some point I'll probably print up stickers, but this was a very poor design choice.

While I like the art, it is not readily accepted by pre-school aged kids. Admittedly, the game doesn't target them, but the mechanics are easy enough. It's too bad the art turns them off. I also feel that there just wasn't enough art included in the game. There are doubles of each of the monsters, but with different components required to make them. Seems cheap.

Second, the rules: While the rules are clear enough, I am not excited by the Igor mechanic. Essentially you are rolling dice and getting components to complete the monsters on cards. One of the faces has Igor written on it. When you have one Igor your turn ends; when you have two or more you can take your turn again. The problem? Well, in the game you roll your dice, retain what you wish, and then roll again. So, if you roll an Igor, you basically have to keep it and hope for another Igor--or simply end your turn. We houseruled this, simply saying that the turn is over as soon as you roll one Igor. Igor shows up to help or he shows up to hurt. We don't court Igor.

The game filled a niche on the shelf, but isn't something that I'll voluntarily pull out and introduce to children, which is a shame. From here on out I'll stick with higher rated children's games, with better components and more accessable art and mechanics. There seem to be plenty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious about why you have to keep the Igor, or why it ends your turn? As long as you keep one of the dice, you can re-roll the others. This makes the Igor mechanic an interesting decision in the game: do you keep it, lowering your chances of rolling the right monster parts, but possibly getting another turn? Or do you re-roll it, lessening the chance of extending your turn? The Igor die can also be kept to avoid placing a monster part that may end up helping an opponent. The Igor is actually one of my favorite mechanics of the game. I'll admit, though, that a lot of the strategy of the game comes from understanding probabilities at a level that may be too advanced for most young kids, which seem to be the target audience.

I agree with you about the variety of art in the game. While the style did go over well with my kids, I was a little disappointed that the cards featured the same monsters repeated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Style Over Substance
badge
mb
sq498 wrote:
I'm curious about why you have to keep the Igor, or why it ends your turn?

From the rules: "Losing Your Turn: If you roll the dice and you are unable to set aside one die that either matches an unoccupied part symbol on one of the monster cards or that reads IGOR!, you instantly lose your turn."

I suppose depending on how this rule is interpretted it could mean 1) you lose your turn if you aren't able to set aside anything, including an Igor; or 2) you lose your turn if you can't set aside anything OR you roll one IGOR!. From your comments, and from the comments of others discussing the strategy of the IGOR!, I believe that interpretation #1 is what you are all going for. At our school we went with interpretation #2.

I'm reminded of the old Magic: The Gathering card before it got fixed: "Your opponent loses next turn." Ah, we're all speaking English and not understanding a word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The game improves a lot with interpretation #1 . Although, like I said, younger kids may have trouble grasping all the strategy. I play it with my 5yo son, and he has picked up on much of the decision-making process in the game, but only after a lot of plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
awakeneddragon wrote:
sq498 wrote:
I'm curious about why you have to keep the Igor, or why it ends your turn?

From the rules: "Losing Your Turn: If you roll the dice and you are unable to set aside one die that either matches an unoccupied part symbol on one of the monster cards or that reads IGOR!, you instantly lose your turn."
You are misreading the English of that rule.

Here, I'll show you how the word OR should be read in that sentence:

"Losing Your Turn: If you roll the dice and you are unable to set aside one die that either matches an unoccupied part symbol on one of the monster cards or that reads IGOR!, you instantly lose your turn."

So if you roll an Igor die, you don't lose your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Pavone
United States
Ruby
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this for the dice. Never played it, probably never will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Style Over Substance
badge
mb
The symbols on my dice are all mostly scratched off by now, sadly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.