Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel
Australia
Stratton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
is it possible that even the best players of this game and the fact that they know this game inside out can/do still lose badly???

"its just not you day today is it" comes up alot haha laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally. I cringe everytime I draw the Priest, I know I have my work cut out for me if I want to even challenge for the Crown, to say nothing about actually winning. Around here, drawing the Sorceress usually means you are destined to die mid-game and/or lose (she is 0-10 so far).

You can know the game inside out, but you can't really do anything about your draws, unless you are Prophetess/get early Orb of Knowledge or are Sage, even in those cases, you're not guaranteed to avoid the bad stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and really enjoy this game, but agree that the amount of luck built into the game potentially can keep any player from a guaranteed win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Australia
Stratton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well as we speak i am 0-5 but the best part is i still enjoy playing thats how i know this is a good game to own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Picklesimer
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I totally agree with you Dan. I think I'm the only person in my group of players that doesn't mind getting the snot kicked out of my character. The most fun is when cards are revealed and begin to stack up in different combinations of threats or bonuses.

I have a few house rules that help make the game more "fair"...

We never start the game the Prophetess. She's just way too tough.

We shuffle and deal out all the Character cards and everyone picks from their own stack.

If somebody dies early on, they pick a new Character from whatever cards are left over, including the Prophetess.

We use the Reaper Expansion and move him whenever a 1 or 6 is rolled for movement.

I know there are a few other little tweaks we use, but that's all I can think of right off.

I also recently made a 70 card expansion with Strange Eons for the Tavern Space. It's now a Draw 3 Card space with it's own unique deck. It's helped speed up the game but has some pretty deadly threats too.
We've only had 4 play test games with the Tavern cards, but it looks like it's shaping up to be a pretty balanced expansion.

I highly recommend that any Talisman fan play around with Strange Eons and the Talisman card patches. It's great fun and can really get your mind racing about making new and exciting cards. My buddy Jon New over at Talisman Island has all the files you need here...

http://www.talismanisland.com/4re_card_tute.htm

Happy Questing!!!zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some might say all games of talisman are bad games. zombie

But that's why it's fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.