Francesco Neri
Italy
Livorno
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
Francesco Neri
mbmbmb
Please post here if someone have english rules.

Bye
ZeroCool_ITA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
costa
Portugal
Vieira de Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also waiting for those, but it seems that only the german rules are available for now, and that's a shame

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Bizarro Sentieiro
Portugal
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
KICKSTARTER SOON !!!!!
badge
#NBS#
mbmbmbmbmb
Did not read the rules or play the game...
But the game seems to use dice. But according to BGN's Eric Martin, in a cool innovative way, quote :

"Each player rolls a set of dice, each of which is a different color, then receives stones of the appropriate color for some number of those dice, with the number of stones matching the number showing on the die face. Those stones are then placed in holding bins matching the number of stones being placed: one stone goes in bin #1, two stones in bin #2, etc.

Each turn, the stones shift down one bin, and when they're released, you finally get to use them. This means that the die rolls that give you the most stones require you to wait several turns before you'll have a chance to use them – thereby creating interesting dilemmas over whether you can afford to wait for powerful effects or whether you want to cash in smaller actions sooner to gain or keep momentum. More good stuff from Feld!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
costa
Portugal
Vieira de Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm already convinced
I hope that RIO GRANDE will have the english edition ready for Essen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Andersson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Pour le Mérite
badge
Brückenlegegerät BLG 60M2
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on a translation:
http://docs.google.com/View?id=ddkvvq4h_42dtszhrg3

There's still lot of work to do but I think it would be possible to play the game from these rules.

If you want to help with the translation, please PM me and I'll give you write access!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Neri
Italy
Livorno
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
Francesco Neri
mbmbmb
Thanks a lot Mikael !!!
I'm sorry that i can't help you but i don't know a word of german !!!

Bye
ZeroCool_ITA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Berglind
Sweden
Kungälv
Unspecified
flag msg tools
You may want to consider the fact that the game contains 120 cards and as far as I know, they all have text. And although the text is not complicated, it is german. There is no card description in the rules so a translation will not help in that respect.

And a word of caution. I assume Rio Grande Games owns the copyright to the english rules and that they will publish them in due time. Until then it is probably not wise to display an unauthorized version here.

Johan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Andersson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Pour le Mérite
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that the game contains 120 cards with text in German, but there is not much to do about this right now. When the game is available I might do a card translation as well unless someone else does it.

Concerning the copyright, I don't see how Rio Grande can claim copyright on this translation. I have not copied anything from Rio Grande, I've done the translation myself with the help from google translate and other online dictionaries. Alea/Ravensburger might have something to say about this though, Stefan Brück (or any other person from Alea/Ravensburger/BGG) is free to contact me if he thinks I've crossed a line. But there are so many unofficial translations of their rules on bgg so it looks like they don't care or if they can do anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Berglind
Sweden
Kungälv
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I would think both Stefan Brück and Jay Tummelson do mind.
In any case it's a matter of common courtesy to not publish a translation without their consent, and I take for granted that the moderators of BGG would not do so.

Johan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Andersson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Pour le Mérite
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jay Tummelson has nothing to do with this. He may have the publishing right for the game in the US (I'm not publishing the game) and the copyright for his translation, not mine.

And to be clear: I'm not doing the translation to hurt Alea/RGG in any way, I'm doing it because I love their games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Neri
Italy
Livorno
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
Francesco Neri
mbmbmb
I think that we must thanks Mikael Andersson that have made HIS OWN translation that will help us to have a good idea of the game... and we all know that it cannot replace in any way the original rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Bizarro Sentieiro
Portugal
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
KICKSTARTER SOON !!!!!
badge
#NBS#
mbmbmbmbmb
Be carefull Mikael, or you'll end up with legal issues with FRED ...
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Berglind
Sweden
Kungälv
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I still believe Jay has everything to do with this, but that might just be my personal opinion and I have no inclination to push the debate further.
However, you seem to agree Stefan Brück has a say in the matter, so is there a reason not to ask his permission?

Johan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Andersson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Pour le Mérite
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the correct way of handling this would be to ask Stefan Brück for permission. (Assuming that he holds the copyright for the German text.) I haven't done this for two reasons:
1) Since people here asked, I wanted to post the rules asap to help my fellow board game geeks.
2) I did not want to bother him. If all contributors on bgg asked for permission for all derivative work they upload on the site, game publishers would be overwhelmed with work. Think of all photos for example.

As a side note, Games Workshop handles this with this text on their website:
Photos of Painted Models

We encourage fellow hobbyists to show off their painting skills by taking photos of their miniatures and putting the on the site. Please remember to correctly credit the IP - "miniature © Games Workshop 2003. All rights reserved. Used without permission - model painted by xxxxxxx"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Berglind
Sweden
Kungälv
Unspecified
flag msg tools
So he will be bothered by an e-mail, but not the fact that you're doing an unauthorized translation? I wouldn't bet on it.

But ok, it's not my game, it's not my problem.
The reason I posted in the first place is that I know how much work it takes to translate rules, especially if neither language is your native tongue. You want to get every detail correct, because any error could change the game significantly.
The thought of finishing that work and then have the translation rejected because some involved party does not approve, is to me disheartening.
But if that is not an issue, by all means, go ahead.

Johan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Andersson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Pour le Mérite
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very well aware of how much work it takes to make a good rules translation, and I know how easy to make a small mistake that makes the game play completely different.

My translation is not available until further notice, hopefully Rio Grande will make their rules available soon.

I would love to hear from a bgg-moderator about rule translations and derivative work in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bah. The translation is *your* work, nothing wrong at all with what you've done, Mikael.

Way too much lawyerin' in today's world. Can't even wipe your ass without reading some disclaimer. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Bah. The translation is *your* work, nothing wrong at all with what you've done, Mikael.

Way too much lawyerin' in today's world. Can't even wipe your ass without reading some disclaimer. shake

You can wipe your ass on the disclaimer, as a sort of personal revenge.

I seriously doubt Jay will find this troublesome. It's not like it's FRED or Bohrer or anything like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise Moore
United Kingdom
Cardiff
South Glamorgan
flag msg tools
Hey,

I played Macao at Essen and managed to play it all the way through even though my German is a bit basic. I adored it so much I bought it in German and have written up the rules and translations for the cards and posted them in the forum.

Rules
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/457793

Translation of the cards

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/457914

I'm sure my translations aren't 100% perfect, but it will be good enough for me until the offical English translation comes out. I'm a huge sucker for dice allocation mechanisms and I think Macao is fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.